Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 11:24 PM
Subject: [nvda] Sentence nav: I can not read the previous sentence in some documents using notepad ++

Hi, folks!

There's something quite annoying going on here: when I try to read the
previous sentence on a document using notepad ++, it reads the current
sentence instead of reading the previous one.

Is there someone there having the same issue?

I tried to use notepad from windows, but sentence nav is too slow on it.
It takes about four seconds to read each sentence.

I have NVDA 2019.3.1 and last sentence nav's version available on githup.

Thank you so much!

Daniel Damacena

I am using pc cursor. There's no need to change it as far I can tell...

Thank you!

Em 07/03/2020 02:41, Gene escreveu:

Are you using object review or screen review or something else?  I have never used the add-on you are using but even so, be sure you are in object navigation unless the add-on explicitly says you should be in something else.

Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 11:24 PM

Hi, folks!

There's something quite annoying going on here: when I try to read the
previous sentence on a document using notepad ++, it reads the current
sentence instead of reading the previous one.

Is there someone there having the same issue?

I tried to use notepad from windows, but sentence nav is too slow on it.
It takes about four seconds to read each sentence.

I have NVDA 2019.3.1 and last sentence nav's version available on githup.

Thank you so much!

Rui Fontes

Gene, why you answer to questions you are not familiarized?

Daniel, how big are the files you try to read in NotePad? I have tried with a 1MB file and it tooks between 1 and 2 seconds to start reading a sentence or phrase...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 11:24 PM

Hi, folks!

There's something quite annoying going on here: when I try to read the
previous sentence on a document using notepad ++, it reads the current
sentence instead of reading the previous one.

Is there someone there having the same issue?

I tried to use notepad from windows, but sentence nav is too slow on it.
It takes about four seconds to read each sentence.

I have NVDA 2019.3.1 and last sentence nav's version available on githup.

Thank you so much!

Gene

There is no PC cursor.  That is a JAWS name for more or less the application cursor.  Do you know about the review modes such as screen review and object review?  If you are using screen review, you will get unexpected and unwanted results in some situations.  You should always switch to object review after you finish using a different review mode.  If you don't know about these modes and have never changed them, you are probably using object navigation.

Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 11:24 PM

Hi, folks!

There's something quite annoying going on here: when I try to read the
previous sentence on a document using notepad ++, it reads the current
sentence instead of reading the previous one.

Is there someone there having the same issue?

I tried to use notepad from windows, but sentence nav is too slow on it.
It takes about four seconds to read each sentence.

I have NVDA 2019.3.1 and last sentence nav's version available on githup.

Thank you so much!

Gene

Because, though I haven't used this specific program, I have observed that not using object navigation causes unexpected results that people wouldn't realize had anything to do with using screen rview.  In lists of files and folders, I have found that using screen review results in me hearing information spoken that doesn't reflect where I am.  I didn't say this is the cause of the problem.  I asked what review mode is being used in case it isn't object review.

Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 11:24 PM

Hi, folks!

There's something quite annoying going on here: when I try to read the
previous sentence on a document using notepad ++, it reads the current
sentence instead of reading the previous one.

Is there someone there having the same issue?

I tried to use notepad from windows, but sentence nav is too slow on it.
It takes about four seconds to read each sentence.

I have NVDA 2019.3.1 and last sentence nav's version available on githup.

Thank you so much!

Daniel Damacena

Sorry, I don't know how to call the normal cursor in english. I didn't use any other cursor before trying to use the addon.

Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 11:24 PM

Hi, folks!

There's something quite annoying going on here: when I try to read the
previous sentence on a document using notepad ++, it reads the current
sentence instead of reading the previous one.

Is there someone there having the same issue?

I tried to use notepad from windows, but sentence nav is too slow on it.
It takes about four seconds to read each sentence.

I have NVDA 2019.3.1 and last sentence nav's version available on githup.

Thank you so much!

Daniel Damacena

2,7 mb.

Using NVDA 2019.2.1 and sentence nav 2.5 it reads right away. It must bug some bug on the current version.

I think the best option for me is to use a portable version of NVDA 2019.2.1 and sentence nav 2.5 until it's fixed. I only need to use it when I study, so it's not so annoying.

Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 11:24 PM

Hi, folks!

There's something quite annoying going on here: when I try to read the
previous sentence on a document using notepad ++, it reads the current
sentence instead of reading the previous one.

Is there someone there having the same issue?

I tried to use notepad from windows, but sentence nav is too slow on it.
It takes about four seconds to read each sentence.

I have NVDA 2019.3.1 and last sentence nav's version available on githup.

Thank you so much!

Gene

Then you are evidently using object navigation and that isn't the cause of the problem.  If you are using the desktop layout, you can check this in the following manner:
Hold the numpad insert and press numpad one to move one way through the available review modes.  Numpad insert numpad 7 will move you the other way.  If you use these two commands, you can find object review and stop there if you want to be completely sure.

Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2020 11:23 AM

Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 11:24 PM

Hi, folks!

There's something quite annoying going on here: when I try to read the
previous sentence on a document using notepad ++, it reads the current
sentence instead of reading the previous one.

Is there someone there having the same issue?

I tried to use notepad from windows, but sentence nav is too slow on it.
It takes about four seconds to read each sentence.

I have NVDA 2019.3.1 and last sentence nav's version available on githup.

Thank you so much!

Rui Fontes

No, Gene! Please, do not respond to problems you do not know!

He is using the edit cursor or system carete...

Rui Fontes

Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2020 11:23 AM

Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 11:24 PM

Hi, folks!

There's something quite annoying going on here: when I try to read the
previous sentence on a document using notepad ++, it reads the current
sentence instead of reading the previous one.

Is there someone there having the same issue?

I tried to use notepad from windows, but sentence nav is too slow on it.
It takes about four seconds to read each sentence.

I have NVDA 2019.3.1 and last sentence nav's version available on githup.

Thank you so much!

Gene

I didn't say he wasn't using the application cursor.  I know he is.  You are telling me not to respond and you don't understand what I'm saying.  IU'm saying that I have seen circumstances when someone is using the application cursor but is in screen review.  You can do that in NVDA.  I'm saying that there are cases when you won't see what is expected if you are in screen review and use the application cursor.
I didn't say my proposal was the solution.  But since it takes almost no time to make sure which screen review mode you are using, I thought it was worht suggesting.  Since I've seen this, I proposed it as the possible cause.

Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2020 11:23 AM

Sent: Friday, March 06, 2020 11:24 PM

Hi, folks!

There's something quite annoying going on here: when I try to read the
previous sentence on a document using notepad ++, it reads the current
sentence instead of reading the previous one.

Is there someone there having the same issue?

I tried to use notepad from windows, but sentence nav is too slow on it.
It takes about four seconds to read each sentence.

I have NVDA 2019.3.1 and last sentence nav's version available on githup.

Thank you so much!

Hareth

Gene,
I'm sorry, But you truly muddying the waters to anyone that haven't
study your own terminology.
Most of the people asking questions here are non English natives, Yet
you try to shove and force your own sometimes subjective opinionated
terminology as a standard reference.
Please try to make it simple and as directly to the point as you can,
that makes it easy to understand instead of going on an on with non
useful personalized terms and definitions.

On 3/7/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I am using correct terms.  If people don't understand or know them, they can ask.  Part of learning a program is learning the authorized terms.

On 3/7/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I didn't say he wasn't using the application cursor.  I know he is.  You are
> telling me not to respond and you don't understand what I'm saying.  IU'm
> saying that I have seen circumstances when someone is using the application
> cursor but is in screen review.  You can do that in NVDA.  I'm saying that
> there are cases when you won't see what is expected if you are in screen
> review and use the application cursor.
> I didn't say my proposal was the solution.  But since it takes almost no
> time to make sure which screen review mode you are using, I thought it was
> worht suggesting.  Since I've seen this, I proposed it as the possible
> cause.
>
> Gene

Daniel Damacena

I am sure I am using object review.

As I said, the previous version does not behave that way, so it seems to be a problem related to the current version.

Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2020 11:23 AM