Topics

Setting a key to change indentation level

Greg Wocher

Hello all,

Is there a way to set a key to set how NVDA announces indentation level? For example, I could use NVDA plus Control plus i to cycle thru the indentation levels.

Thanks,

Greg Wocher

Greg,

             In what program?

             In MS-Word ALT+H followed by AO moves the indent level out, or by AI moves the indent level in deeper.   I'm also not clear if you're asking for a way to change how NVDA announces indentation or actually changing indentation, but I'm going to presume the latter.

       ~ Madonna

Greg Wocher

Hello,
Sorry I did not explain it well. Thats what I get asking a question after a bad night of sleep. I mean to cycle thru how NVDA indicates indentation. Either none, speech, beeps or speech and beeps. Its the option in the document settings.

Greg Wocher

On Mar 28, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Greg,

             In what program?

             In MS-Word ALT+H followed by AO moves the indent level out, or by AI moves the indent level in deeper.   I'm also not clear if you're asking for a way to change how NVDA announces indentation or actually changing indentation, but I'm going to presume the latter.

       ~ Madonna

Sascha Cowley

Hello,

You can do this by setting an input gesture.

  1. Open the NVDA Input Gestures dialog. It can be found under the NVDA preferences menu.
  2. In the "Filter by:" field, type "indent".
  3. Tab to the tree. There should be two commands shown, both under "Document formatting". Arrow down until you get to "Cycles through line indentation settings".
  4. Tab to "Add" and press enter or space; or, press alt+A. Then, activate the keystroke you want to hit to Cycle through line indentation settings.
  5. In the menu that pops up, use the up and down arrows to select if this keystroke applies to the laptop, desktop, or all keyboard layouts. If you only use one (IE, you're always on a laptop), I would suggest using that layout, but it is up to you.
  6. Tab to "OK" and hit space or enter..

Now, you should be able to open a document, type some text with different indentation levels, and use your configured input gesture to change the way NVDA reports the indentation. Navigate through the document to check that it works.

Hope this helps,
Sascha