setting NVDA modifier key

Don H

How to you set the shift lock as a nvda modifier key?

The easiest way is to change to using the laptop keyboard layout as opposed to desktop.

You also have the option to add it to the existing Insert and NumPad Insert that are the two defaults for desktop keyboard layout with a checkbox.

All of this is in NVDA Settings [NVDA+N,P,S], Keyboard Pane [which can be found by hitting K for first letter Nav], then tabbing over and going through the settings.  (Two tabs should land you on the checkbox to add Caps Lock to the NVDA Modifier Key collection if you are using Desktop keyboard layout.)

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Hi,

Actually, no – unlike JAWS, switching keyboard layouts will not change NVDA modifier key automatically.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 06:25 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
switching keyboard layouts will not change NVDA modifier key automatically.
-
Joseph, thanks for the correction.   Has it always been this way?  I could have sworn that both NVDA and JAWS used to do this, but I could very easily be conflating JAWS and NVDA in this regard.

It is nice that those checkboxes in the NVDA Keyboard settings allow you to mix and match as you see fit.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Hi,

As far as I can tell, NvDA doesn’t select a specific key as modifier key whenever you change keyboard layouts. It might have done that way in the past, but when the last big change to laptop keyboard layout took place (2013), the current behavior was in use then (unfortunately the bulk of user discussions on that change cannot be found easily unless someone archived it from Freelists).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 06:25 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

switching keyboard layouts will not change NVDA modifier key automatically.

-
Joseph, thanks for the correction.   Has it always been this way?  I could have sworn that both NVDA and JAWS used to do this, but I could very easily be conflating JAWS and NVDA in this regard.

It is nice that those checkboxes in the NVDA Keyboard settings allow you to mix and match as you see fit.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Joseph,

          Thanks.  That 2013 date definitely makes it prior to my involvement with NVDA in any depth.  I joined this group in March 2016, and I cannot recall if I was ever on the freelists list, and if I was, it would have been for a very short time before the appearance of this group on Groups.io.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Hi,

Nimer might be able to provide a more solid evidence, but based on discussions back then, the current laptop keyboard layout received mixed reception (it was also around the time just prior to me serving as list mod). But the definitive answer is that one must select caps lock key manually as modifier key (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Keyboard).

Cheers,

Joseph

          Thanks.  That 2013 date definitely makes it prior to my involvement with NVDA in any depth.  I joined this group in March 2016, and I cannot recall if I was ever on the freelists list, and if I was, it would have been for a very short time before the appearance of this group on Groups.io.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Gene

Changing to laptop layout doesn't affect whether the capslock is used as a modifier. It remains off unless you check the check box that you see when tabbing through the keyboard settings dialog. This check box appears whether you are in desktop or laptop layout. It is no harder or easier to turn capslock on or off regardless of which layout you are using.