From: Don H
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 11:33 AM
Subject: [nvda] setting up new laptop

Not that I wanted to purchase a new computer right now but my current
computer has went to that big bit bucket in the sky.  I will soon be
getting a new HP Envy 13 inch laptop with a Intel 11 gen I5, 8 Gig of
Ram, 256 gig ssd and running Windows 11.  Have seen some mention that
this laptop might have the issue of the sound card going to asleep.  Is
there a fix for this issue if it does exist?  I will be installing NVDA
2021-2 on this laptop.
Thanks

Direct download link for  Silenzio

         ~ John F. Kennedy

George McCoy

Too bad this is not an https link because my chromium based browsers won't allow downloads from it. Does anyone else have this issue

On 10/13/2021 12:27 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Direct download link for  Silenzio

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

The problem isn’t caused by there being no s at the end of http.  Browsers hgenerally seem to automatically add the s if it is needed these days.  The problem appears to be the root certificate that expired recently.  You are evidently getting a message that the site can’t be verified.  Ordinarily, you have to tell the browser to go to the site and the browser may tell you it is unsafe but will go there.  On some sites, it won’t. In this case, you don’t have to do anything.  This is a direct download link and in the browser you are using, try downloading the file as usual.  You may need to do nothing but the usual download procedure, even if you see the unverified warning.  If it doesn’t work, I’ll describe how to work with the unverified warning.  If you just do nothing after following a direct download link, do that.  If you open the download folder and use save as on that page, do that.

Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] setting up new laptop

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 08:25 PM, George McCoy wrote:
Too bad this is not an https link because my chromium based browsers won't allow downloads from it.
-
Au contraire!

Someone contacted me privately this afternoon about Edge (SmartScreen, really) blocking the download.  Just changing to Chrome allowed the download.

The standard advice to "try another browser" should always be the first thing to try on a blocked download provided it's not your own antivirus/security suite is not the one blocking it.  SmartScreen is separate from Windows Defender or third party antivirus/security.

Sometimes you have to try tow other browsers.  But if at least two Chromium-based browsers and Firefox won't download something, it probably shouldn't be downloaded.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

Disregard my first message.  it is probably wrong.  I evidently made an error when I was experimenting.

What I said is correct that browsers generally seem to add an s where needed.  But you probably have to work with the verification message before you can download.

Do the following.
When the message comes up, go to the bottom of the screen, control end.  You will be on an advanced button.
Activate it with the space bar.
Then once again go to the bottom of the screen.  You will be on a proceed to the name of the site button.  You will hear  that it is unsafe.  it is safe in this case.
Activate it with the space bar.
You should now be taken to the direct download, the link you followed is a direct download link.  Download the file as you usually do.

As I said in my other message, you are evidently seeing the message because of a root verification certificate that expired recently.

GeneI just tried this with two browsers.  I’m not sure about one since I tried working with the verification message and then trying again with the browser.  But in the browser where I did notbhing, no download occurred.

Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 7:25 PM

Too bad this is not an https link because my chromium based browsers won't allow downloads from it. Does anyone else have this issue

On 10/13/2021 12:27 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Direct download link for  Silenzio

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

Brian's message is probably the cause of the problem.  I thought it was the expired certificate but that isn't likely.  I thought that was what you were describing when you said you couldn't download.

Gene

On 10/13/2021 8:07 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

Thanks Brian and Jean. I tried with brave, chrome, Edge and Firefox. I was able to get it with Firefox.

George