So nvda is correct in keeping calling it number rather than sharp.
It is also sometimes called hash or pound. The later would be confusing, because of the monetary unit, so it's out of the way. It could be called number if a number follows, and hash otherwise, like for the minus/dash sign. But I'm not sure how widely known this word is.

-- Patrick.

Le 24/03/2016 09:51, Brian's Mail list account a écrit :
Yes I sent you the mail as it was confusing. Incidentally as these are
called hashtags, presumably due to the # sign, the why is nvda still
calling this number?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: Very concerned, was: [nvda] qualifying to manage a list
(stupid hash tags)

Hi Gene and others,

I did record an address that I shall post a link to shortly.

Perhaps I may have used a wrong word: when I talk about change of
generation, what I really meant was the next group of enthusiasts. Sorry
about the confusion.

As for concerns that I'll be leaving this community: resignation doesn't
mean departure. I'll still be around to answer questions,
participating as a
member and one of the code contributors to NVDA screen reader.

As for hashtag issue people were getting: all fixed. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

Cheers,

Joseph