Shortcut commands stopping working in NVDA

Gene

Occasionally, a problem where NVDA shortcut commands such as read title bar, open menus, etc. stop working has been discussed here.  I may have found out what is actually going on and it may either eliminate or almost fully eliminate the need to unload, then run NVDA again.

It appears to me that a key is getting stuck.  When this happens, try pressing the left shift key, then the right shift key quickly perhaps five or six times each.  Then see if the commands work again. 

Caution: It used to be and probably still is the default that if you press either shift something like five times, it will turn on something.  I don’t recall if it is some sort of sounds Windows will make when certain keys are pressed or sticky keys.  At any rate, if you haven’t turned off this behavior, don’t press the shift five times.  Try three or four. 

I’ve just been trying this recently.  I don’t have this happen enough to see if the same key, for example, one of the shift keys, or another key, such as either control, either alt, or the NVDA key, gets stuck in new occurrences or if the same key gets stuck and no others.  Experimentation by people will answer that question. 

If it turns out to be keys getting stuck, that may lead to a solution. 

Gene

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 06:54 PM, Gene wrote:
-
Gene,

Before I say what I'm about to say, I want to preface it with this contribution is greatly appreciated, at least by me.  This is a great diagnostic to undertake.

With that being said, if the root cause were traced to literal sticky keys, the solution is getting a new keyboard.  There is nothing that the developers of NVDA could or should do about sticking keyboard keys.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

~ Liza Minnelli

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah, I already said that a few months ago. I in fact go control left right, alt left right, windows, windows, shift left, right, tab when I know a key is stuck. This is not anything new, now we need to figure out why this happens.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 3:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Shortcut commands stopping working in NVDA

Occasionally, a problem where NVDA shortcut commands such as read title bar, open menus, etc. stop working has been discussed here.  I may have found out what is actually going on and it may either eliminate or almost fully eliminate the need to unload, then run NVDA again.

It appears to me that a key is getting stuck.  When this happens, try pressing the left shift key, then the right shift key quickly perhaps five or six times each.  Then see if the commands work again. 

Caution: It used to be and probably still is the default that if you press either shift something like five times, it will turn on something.  I don’t recall if it is some sort of sounds Windows will make when certain keys are pressed or sticky keys.  At any rate, if you haven’t turned off this behavior, don’t press the shift five times.  Try three or four. 

I’ve just been trying this recently.  I don’t have this happen enough to see if the same key, for example, one of the shift keys, or another key, such as either control, either alt, or the NVDA key, gets stuck in new occurrences or if the same key gets stuck and no others.  Experimentation by people will answer that question. 

Gene

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 07:36 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
This is not anything new, now we need to figure out why this happens.
-
I say the following not to be snarky, but if it is actually sticking keys, we already know why this happens.

Another good thing, and dirt cheap, is to obtain a USB keyboard (and thrift stores are loaded with them, fully functional) to keep "as the testing spare" and check if the issue persists, when it occurs, on a different keyboard that's available for the machine.

If the shortcuts work immediately when you use the alternative keyboard, and consistently, you know you have a hardware issue of some sort with your primary keyboard.  While these are, relatively speaking, rare they are far from never happening.
--

~ Liza Minnelli

Don H

If this is a hardware issue why does restarting NVDA fix the issue?

On 7/21/2021 6:40 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
-
I say the following not to be snarky, but if it is actually sticking keys, we already know why this happens.
Another good thing, and dirt cheap, is to obtain a USB keyboard (and thrift stores are loaded with them, fully functional) to keep "as the testing spare" and check if the issue persists, when it occurs, on a different keyboard that's available for the machine.
If the shortcuts work immediately when you use the alternative keyboard, and consistently, you know you have a hardware issue of some sort with your primary keyboard.  While these are, relatively speaking, rare they are far from never happening.
--
Brian -Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043
        ~ Liza Minnelli

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 07:49 PM, Don H wrote:
If this is a hardware issue why does restarting NVDA fix the issue?
-
This could be coincidental.  Sticking keys often "unstick" on their own.

There are things that can be done for process of elimination.  And let me make clear, I am not saying that this behavior is a hardware issue at the outset.  Just that it very well could be, and there are things that can be done, "dual and dualing" keyboards being something that can help to figure this out.  If the issue disappeared without restarting NVDA after pulling the primary keyboard, that would help to narrow things down.  Remember, if you have two keyboards and a key were to be sticking on either one, the machine would still be getting the input from the stuck keyboard.

All in all, this is a major detective effort.
--

~ Liza Minnelli

Gene

Sticky keys in this context, I don’t know how else the term may be used, is caused by a screen-reader somehow causing a key to get stuck on, but not because of the keyboard.  I don’t know if JAWS still has the problem, but years ago, it had a sticky key problem.  It referred to the problem as sticky keys.  It appears that NVDA may have one now.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 6:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Shortcut commands stopping working in NVDA

-
Gene,

Before I say what I'm about to say, I want to preface it with this contribution is greatly appreciated, at least by me.  This is a great diagnostic to undertake.

With that being said, if the root cause were traced to literal sticky keys, the solution is getting a new keyboard.  There is nothing that the developers of NVDA could or should do about sticking keyboard keys.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

~ Liza Minnelli

Gene

I remember a bit of discussion of what you are describing before but I don’t think it was sustained enough to catch the attention of the developers on the list.  I didn’t remember who, for the most part, had brought it up.  I suppose it should be filed as a ticket. 

My impression from before is that the problem would be mentioned and one or two messages would result and it would then not be mentioned again for a good while.  While I think this is a general problem, it may be that not enough people complained of it that it was recognized as such.  I think that almost no one spoke of it as a sticky key problem before, which may have made the problem not properly replicable by developers.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 6:36 PM

Yeah, I already said that a few months ago. I in fact go control left right, alt left right, windows, windows, shift left, right, tab when I know a key is stuck. This is not anything new, now we need to figure out why this happens.

Gene

Gene,

Thanks for the clarification.

There is the Windows Feature called sticky keys, and there are sticking keyboard keys, and there are unintentional software-generated sticky keys, too.  It's now clear that the last of the three is what's under discussion, and this was not initially clear to me.  And it's a different kettle of fish, as the saying goes.
--

~ Liza Minnelli

Gene

I should add that I remember at least one person describing the problem in a way that caused me to think it might be sticky keys and that’s why I started experimenting.;  I don’t want to take credit for an idea I saw from one or more other people.  I brought it up again because I didn’t think it got the attention it should and because the limited about of experimenting I’ve done, I have to wait until the problem occurs, has so far confirmed that sticky keys are the problem.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:02 PM

I remember a bit of discussion of what you are describing before but I don’t think it was sustained enough to catch the attention of the developers on the list.  I didn’t remember who, for the most part, had brought it up.  I suppose it should be filed as a ticket. 

My impression from before is that the problem would be mentioned and one or two messages would result and it would then not be mentioned again for a good while.  While I think this is a general problem, it may be that not enough people complained of it that it was recognized as such.  I think that almost no one spoke of it as a sticky key problem before, which may have made the problem not properly replicable by developers.

Gene

Gene

Jackie

So I just experimented w/it, as I found myself precisely in this
position this very moment. Shift & control keys didn't work, but
capslock, which I use as an NVDA modifier, did. So I'm wondering if
somehow the NVDA modifier key isn't being released properly at
times,ie, buffers aren't being flushed when required, etc.

On 7/21/21, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
I should add that I remember at least one person describing the problem in a
way that caused me to think it might be sticky keys and that’s why I started
experimenting.; I don’t want to take credit for an idea I saw from one or
more other people. I brought it up again because I didn’t think it got the
attention it should and because the limited about of experimenting I’ve
done, I have to wait until the problem occurs, has so far confirmed that
sticky keys are the problem.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:02 PM

I remember a bit of discussion of what you are describing before but I don’t
think it was sustained enough to catch the attention of the developers on
the list. I didn’t remember who, for the most part, had brought it up. I
suppose it should be filed as a ticket.

My impression from before is that the problem would be mentioned and one or
two messages would result and it would then not be mentioned again for a
good while. While I think this is a general problem, it may be that not
enough people complained of it that it was recognized as such. I think that
almost no one spoke of it as a sticky key problem before, which may have
made the problem not properly replicable by developers.

Gene

Yeah, I already said that a few months ago. I in fact go control left right,
alt left right, windows, windows, shift left, right, tab when I know a key
is stuck. This is not anything new, now we need to figure out why this
happens.

Occasionally, a problem where NVDA shortcut commands such as read title bar,
open menus, etc. stop working has been discussed here. I may have found out
what is actually going on and it may either eliminate or almost fully
eliminate the need to unload, then run NVDA again.

It appears to me that a key is getting stuck. When this happens, try
pressing the left shift key, then the right shift key quickly perhaps five
or six times each. Then see if the commands work again.

Caution: It used to be and probably still is the default that if you press
either shift something like five times, it will turn on something. I don’t
recall if it is some sort of sounds Windows will make when certain keys are
pressed or sticky keys. At any rate, if you haven’t turned off this
behavior, don’t press the shift five times. Try three or four.

I’ve just been trying this recently. I don’t have this happen enough to see
if the same key, for example, one of the shift keys, or another key, such as
either control, either alt, or the NVDA key, gets stuck in new occurrences
or if the same key gets stuck and no others. Experimentation by people will
answer that question.

Gene

--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

Hi,

It appears one of the NVDA add-on authors may have found a solution to the "stuck key" problem:

Specifically, according to the pull request (the second link), when NVDA watchdog finds itself stuck, it will attempt to recover itself, and in the midst of it, keyboard modifier state is not checked, leading to stuck keys. This should be resolved now in latest alpha development snapshot, and the fix for this proboem may or may not become part of NVDA 2021.2.

Cheers,

Joseph

Tyler Spivey

Fortunately for this one, a recent PR got merged into master which might fix it.

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/12610

On 7/21/2021 5:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene,
There is the Windows Feature called sticky keys, and there are sticking keyboard keys, and there are unintentional software-generated sticky keys, too.  It's now clear that the last of the three is what's under discussion, and this was not initially clear to me.  And it's a different kettle of fish, as the saying goes.
--
        ~ Liza Minnelli

Sarah k Alawami

It’s not sticking keys. It happens on my keyboard as well, and on my laptop keys as well. I already submitted a lot of logs on a github page, I think in regard to this. Narrator will even stick as well. The only way is to reboot, or do the left shift right shift, control, etc.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 4:41 PM

-

--

~ Liza Minnelli

Sarah k Alawami

I remember this, and this has been going on since 2020 in my case. I did report it then, and I think there are discussions on the list in regard to this from last year.

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 4:57 PM

Sticky keys in this context, I don’t know how else the term may be used, is caused by a screen-reader somehow causing a key to get stuck on, but not because of the keyboard.  I don’t know if JAWS still has the problem, but years ago, it had a sticky key problem.  It referred to the problem as sticky keys.  It appears that NVDA may have one now.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 6:33 PM

-
Gene,

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

~ Liza Minnelli

Gene

I had an instance this evening where neither shift key was stuck.  I don’t remember what I figured out was stuck control or alt now. 

I don’t know if this line of inquiry would help developers figure out the problem, but sticky keys weren’t always a problem.  It never occurs in NVDA 13.  Perhaps if people remember what the first version they recall it occurring in, it might help developers figure out what might have changed.  I didn’t use current versions of NVDA for a good while.  I started doing so recently but I have no idea in which version the problem began.

Also, it appears to me that a key becomes stuck regarding NVDA commands but not affecting the general operation of the computer.  For example, a shift key might be stuck, resulting in NVDA commands not working, but not resulting in every letter typed being a capital letter.;  This may be important in trying to figure out the problem.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:56 PM

On 7/21/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I should add that I remember at least one person describing the problem in a
> way that caused me to think it might be sticky keys and that’s why I started
> experimenting.;  I don’t want to take credit for an idea I saw from one or
> more other people.  I brought it up again because I didn’t think it got the
> attention it should and because the limited about of experimenting I’ve
> done, I have to wait until the problem occurs, has so far confirmed that
> sticky keys are the problem.
>
> Gene
> -----Original Message-----
>
> From: Gene
> Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:02 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Shortcut commands stopping working in NVDA
>
> I remember a bit of discussion of what you are describing before but I don’t
> think it was sustained enough to catch the attention of the developers on
> the list.  I didn’t remember who, for the most part, had brought it up.  I
> suppose it should be filed as a ticket.
>
> My impression from before is that the problem would be mentioned and one or
> two messages would result and it would then not be mentioned again for a
> good while.  While I think this is a general problem, it may be that not
> enough people complained of it that it was recognized as such.  I think that
> almost no one spoke of it as a sticky key problem before, which may have
> made the problem not properly replicable by developers.
>
> Gene
> From: Sarah k Alawami
> Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 6:36 PM
>
> Yeah, I already said that a few months ago. I in fact go control left right,
> alt left right, windows, windows, shift left, right, tab when I know a key
> is stuck. This is not anything new, now we need to figure out why this
> happens.
>
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 3:54 PM
> Subject: [nvda] Shortcut commands stopping working in NVDA
>
>
>
> Occasionally, a problem where NVDA shortcut commands such as read title bar,
> open menus, etc. stop working has been discussed here.  I may have found out
> what is actually going on and it may either eliminate or almost fully
> eliminate the need to unload, then run NVDA again.
>
>
>
> It appears to me that a key is getting stuck.  When this happens, try
> pressing the left shift key, then the right shift key quickly perhaps five
> or six times each.  Then see if the commands work again.
>
>
>
> Caution: It used to be and probably still is the default that if you press
> either shift something like five times, it will turn on something.  I don’t
> recall if it is some sort of sounds Windows will make when certain keys are
> pressed or sticky keys.  At any rate, if you haven’t turned off this
> behavior, don’t press the shift five times.  Try three or four.
>
>
>
> I’ve just been trying this recently.  I don’t have this happen enough to see
> if the same key, for example, one of the shift keys, or another key, such as
> either control, either alt, or the NVDA key, gets stuck in new occurrences
> or if the same key gets stuck and no others.  Experimentation by people will
> answer that question.
>
>
>
> If it turns out to be keys getting stuck, that may lead to a solution.
>
>
>
> Gene
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by

Sarah k Alawami

Oh thank god. I've been having this issue now for at least a year and it's random too, but annoying at best when it happens.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Spivey via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 6:34 PM

Fortunately for this one, a recent PR got merged into master which might fix it.

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/12610

On 7/21/2021 5:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene,

There is the Windows Feature called sticky keys, and there are
sticking keyboard keys, and there are unintentional software-generated
sticky keys, too. It's now clear that the last of the three is what's
under discussion, and this was not initially clear to me. And it's a
different kettle of fish, as the saying goes.
--

Yep. Discipline. Accountability. Joy. Fun. Responsibility.

That's what life is about. And in that order.

~ Liza Minnelli

Sarah k Alawami

For me it was nvda 2019.x before the python conversion. And narrator would get stuck as well. The same thing would be done to fix it though.

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:29 PM

I had an instance this evening where neither shift key was stuck.  I don’t remember what I figured out was stuck control or alt now. 

I don’t know if this line of inquiry would help developers figure out the problem, but sticky keys weren’t always a problem.  It never occurs in NVDA 13.  Perhaps if people remember what the first version they recall it occurring in, it might help developers figure out what might have changed.  I didn’t use current versions of NVDA for a good while.  I started doing so recently but I have no idea in which version the problem began.

Also, it appears to me that a key becomes stuck regarding NVDA commands but not affecting the general operation of the computer.  For example, a shift key might be stuck, resulting in NVDA commands not working, but not resulting in every letter typed being a capital letter.;  This may be important in trying to figure out the problem.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:56 PM

On 7/21/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I should add that I remember at least one person describing the problem in a
> way that caused me to think it might be sticky keys and that’s why I started
> experimenting.;  I don’t want to take credit for an idea I saw from one or
> more other people.  I brought it up again because I didn’t think it got the
> attention it should and because the limited about of experimenting I’ve
> done, I have to wait until the problem occurs, has so far confirmed that
> sticky keys are the problem.
>
> Gene
>
> From: Gene
> Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:02 PM
>
> I remember a bit of discussion of what you are describing before but I don’t
> think it was sustained enough to catch the attention of the developers on
> the list.  I didn’t remember who, for the most part, had brought it up.  I
> suppose it should be filed as a ticket.
>
> My impression from before is that the problem would be mentioned and one or
> two messages would result and it would then not be mentioned again for a
> good while.  While I think this is a general problem, it may be that not
> enough people complained of it that it was recognized as such.  I think that
> almost no one spoke of it as a sticky key problem before, which may have
> made the problem not properly replicable by developers.
>
> Gene
> From: Sarah k Alawami
> Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 6:36 PM
>
> Yeah, I already said that a few months ago. I in fact go control left right,
> alt left right, windows, windows, shift left, right, tab when I know a key
> is stuck. This is not anything new, now we need to figure out why this
> happens.
>
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 3:54 PM
> Subject: [nvda] Shortcut commands stopping working in NVDA
>
>
>
> Occasionally, a problem where NVDA shortcut commands such as read title bar,
> open menus, etc. stop working has been discussed here.  I may have found out
> what is actually going on and it may either eliminate or almost fully
> eliminate the need to unload, then run NVDA again.
>
>
>
> It appears to me that a key is getting stuck.  When this happens, try
> pressing the left shift key, then the right shift key quickly perhaps five
> or six times each.  Then see if the commands work again.
>
>
>
> Caution: It used to be and probably still is the default that if you press
> either shift something like five times, it will turn on something.  I don’t
> recall if it is some sort of sounds Windows will make when certain keys are
> pressed or sticky keys.  At any rate, if you haven’t turned off this
> behavior, don’t press the shift five times.  Try three or four.
>
>
>
> I’ve just been trying this recently.  I don’t have this happen enough to see
> if the same key, for example, one of the shift keys, or another key, such as
> either control, either alt, or the NVDA key, gets stuck in new occurrences
> or if the same key gets stuck and no others.  Experimentation by people will
> answer that question.
>
>
>
> If it turns out to be keys getting stuck, that may lead to a solution.
>
>
>
> Gene
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by

Gene

That’s good to know.  I should have searched for a ticket but the problem has been arounde for a long time and has been discussed so little that I didn’t.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 8:31 PM

Hi,

It appears one of the NVDA add-on authors may have found a solution to the "stuck key" problem:

Specifically, according to the pull request (the second link), when NVDA watchdog finds itself stuck, it will attempt to recover itself, and in the midst of it, keyboard modifier state is not checked, leading to stuck keys. This should be resolved now in latest alpha development snapshot, and the fix for this proboem may or may not become part of NVDA 2021.2.

Cheers,

Joseph

Well, I guess one small piece of good news with regard to this issue, even if it is a workaround, is that the Kill NVDA add-on has been updated for compatibility with NVDA 2021.1.
--

~ Liza Minnelli