Silencing NVDA for Layout Tables

A question about how to do this just arose in the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group.  I knew this was possible because at one point I needed to get rid of it myself.  In searching for that information today, I also noticed several posts saying the ability to do so had been removed from NVDA settings, but it hasn't.  I don't know if it moved or not.

Credit Luke Davis in message  , in topic, Removing items from a table with NVDA, on the NVDA Group dating from May 2019:

It is probably what NVDA calls a "layout table". To test, the next time you are in one of these, do this:

Press NVDA+ctrl+b (Opens NVDA browse mode settings).
Tab four times (You should be on "include layout tables").
Press space (Should uncheck "include layout tables").
Press enter.
----
I did not test the "Tab 4 times" part, and there's a chance the settings have been rearranged since 2019, but that checkbox is still there.  If 4 tabs don't get you to it, you will eventually hit it.

         ~ Vance Packard

Sarah k Alawami

It is 6 tabs now.

HtH.

[...]

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 01:22 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
It is 6 tabs now.
-
It does help.

This is precisely the reason I stopped, at least a couple years back, writing instructions that relied on number of TAB hits.  Things get changed and rearranged too often.

Now, if I were writing something like this myself today, I'd just say, "Navigate to (or TAB until you arrive at) the checkbox for 'Include layout tables.'"  I got tired of hearing things like, "I tabbed 4 times and it's not there."  The idea that one might want to keep exploring in the event of a typographical error or change in layout just doesn't seem to occur to some.

         ~ Vance Packard