Topics

Simplifying Web Pages for Screen Reading

Milton Charlton

I have just begun to try NVDA so all this might be off base or it might be useful.

Many web pages include advertisements and lots of information besides that we want to hear.  Here are some ways to simplify web pages:

1.   1.   Go to  Outline.com to simplify the page.  Copy, type or dictate the URL of the page you wish to read into the box in the Outline.com page.  You may also install Outliner as an extension in Microsoft EDGE.  The extension makes a white square icon to the right of the URL space of a page. When the cursor is over this icon, NVDA announces “Outliner want access to this site”.  If you click on the icon, the page becomes simplified. Pages simplified either way may be much easier to read with NVDA.  The Chrome browser Web Store has an extension called Reader View Plus that seems to do the same thing.  If you “pin” Reader View Plus it puts an icon to the right of the URL space.

2.  2.    In Microsoft EDGE(Chromium), many web pages show an icon immediately after the URL which is called “Immersive Reader”.  When the cursor is placed on that icon NVDA announces “Enter immersive Reader F9”.  When you hit F9 or click on the Immersive Reader icon, then select the Edge command  “Read Aloud” (CTRL + SHIFT + U), the web page gets simplified and read out. It is very fast. I don’t know why some pages get Immersive Reader and others don’t. When Read Aloud is active, a new bar appears under the URL and at the right end is a menu that allows choice of speed and voice.

3.   3.   In Microsoft EDGE(Chromium), the Read Aloud function (Ctrl + Shift + U ) reads out web pages with or without being simplified.

4.     4. These simplification tricks do not seem useful for pages that are compilations of other pages such as  CNN.COM/NEWS, CBC.CA/NEWS, BBC.COM/NEWS.

Gene

The browser uses an algorithm where it allows immersive reader if the page contains something like an article. the point of immersive \reader is to allow articles and other such material to be read without clutter and interruption such as blocks of links interspersed in the text.

As far as outline.com is concerned, what do you give up when a page is simplified? It may get rid of advertising but does it get rid of other things such as navigation links or other useful information? Does it keep JAVA scripts from running? That is desirable at times but it will keep sites that play audio from working most of the time.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 3:18 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Simplifying Web Pages for Screen Reading

I have just begun to try NVDA so all this might be off base or it might be useful.

Many web pages include advertisements and lots of information besides that we want to hear. Here are some ways to simplify web pages:

1. 1. <!--[endif]-->Go to Outline.com to simplify the page. Copy, type or dictate the URL of the page you wish to read into the box in the Outline.com page. You may also install Outliner as an extension in Microsoft EDGE. The extension makes a white square icon to the right of the URL space of a page. When the cursor is over this icon, NVDA announces “Outliner want access to this site”. If you click on the icon, the page becomes simplified. Pages simplified either way may be much easier to read with NVDA. The Chrome browser Web Store has an extension called Reader View Plus that seems to do the same thing. If you “pin” Reader View Plus it puts an icon to the right of the URL space.

2. 2. <!--[endif]-->In Microsoft EDGE(Chromium), many web pages show an icon immediately after the URL which is called “Immersive Reader”. When the cursor is placed on that icon NVDA announces “Enter immersive Reader F9”. When you hit F9 or click on the Immersive Reader icon, then select the Edge command “Read Aloud” (CTRL + SHIFT + U), the web page gets simplified and read out. It is very fast. I don’t know why some pages get Immersive Reader and others don’t. When Read Aloud is active, a new bar appears under the URL and at the right end is a menu that allows choice of speed and voice.

3. 3. <!--[endif]-->In Microsoft EDGE(Chromium), the Read Aloud function (Ctrl + Shift + U ) reads out web pages with or without being simplified.

4. 4. <!--[endif]-->These simplification tricks do not seem useful for pages that are compilations of other pages such as CNN.COM/NEWS, CBC.CA/NEWS, BBC.COM/NEWS.

Tony Malykh

Or alternatively, try my TextNav add-on for NVDA - it serves the same purpose - to simplify browsing web pages.

On 1/22/2021 1:18 PM, Milton Charlton wrote:

Many web pages include advertisements and lots of information besides that we want to hear.  Here are some ways to simplify web pages:

1.   1.   Go to  Outline.com to simplify the page.  Copy, type or dictate the URL of the page you wish to read into the box in the Outline.com page.  You may also install Outliner as an extension in Microsoft EDGE.  The extension makes a white square icon to the right of the URL space of a page. When the cursor is over this icon, NVDA announces “Outliner want access to this site”.  If you click on the icon, the page becomes simplified. Pages simplified either way may be much easier to read with NVDA.  The Chrome browser Web Store has an extension called Reader View Plus that seems to do the same thing.  If you “pin” Reader View Plus it puts an icon to the right of the URL space.

2.  2.    In Microsoft EDGE(Chromium), many web pages show an icon immediately after the URL which is called “Immersive Reader”.  When the cursor is placed on that icon NVDA announces “Enter immersive Reader F9”.  When you hit F9 or click on the Immersive Reader icon, then select the Edge command  “Read Aloud” (CTRL + SHIFT + U), the web page gets simplified and read out. It is very fast. I don’t know why some pages get Immersive Reader and others don’t. When Read Aloud is active, a new bar appears under the URL and at the right end is a menu that allows choice of speed and voice.

3.   3.   In Microsoft EDGE(Chromium), the Read Aloud function (Ctrl + Shift + U ) reads out web pages with or without being simplified.

4.     4. These simplification tricks do not seem useful for pages that are compilations of other pages such as  CNN.COM/NEWS, CBC.CA/NEWS, BBC.COM/NEWS.

Gene

You don't need to have a page read aloud using the read aloud feature of Immersive Reader. You can turn Immersive Reader on and read the page with a screen-reader.

Also, regarding Outliner, what are you missing? I'm always suspicious of such features and that is my first question. With Immersive Reader, I'm not sure how often you may miss contents such as related links. But I would want to compare pages using these features with the page without using them. I want to know what I'm missing and if it matters.

Reading a whole page probably wouldn't be necessary but reading enough to get an idea for comparison might be important, depending on what your goals are. If, for example, related links aren't shown in Immersive Reader, that might be of importance if you want to see other information related to a subject.

Gene

On 1/22/2021 1:18 PM, Milton Charlton wrote:

Many web pages include advertisements and lots of information besides that we want to hear. Here are some ways to simplify web pages:

1. 1. <!--[endif]-->Go to Outline.com to simplify the page. Copy, type or dictate the URL of the page you wish to read into the box in the Outline.com page. You may also install Outliner as an extension in Microsoft EDGE. The extension makes a white square icon to the right of the URL space of a page. When the cursor is over this icon, NVDA announces “Outliner want access to this site”. If you click on the icon, the page becomes simplified. Pages simplified either way may be much easier to read with NVDA. The Chrome browser Web Store has an extension called Reader View Plus that seems to do the same thing. If you “pin” Reader View Plus it puts an icon to the right of the URL space.

2. 2. <!--[endif]-->In Microsoft EDGE(Chromium), many web pages show an icon immediately after the URL which is called “Immersive Reader”. When the cursor is placed on that icon NVDA announces “Enter immersive Reader F9”. When you hit F9 or click on the Immersive Reader icon, then select the Edge command “Read Aloud” (CTRL + SHIFT + U), the web page gets simplified and read out. It is very fast. I don’t know why some pages get Immersive Reader and others don’t. When Read Aloud is active, a new bar appears under the URL and at the right end is a menu that allows choice of speed and voice.

3. 3. <!--[endif]-->In Microsoft EDGE(Chromium), the Read Aloud function (Ctrl + Shift + U ) reads out web pages with or without being simplified.

4. 4. <!--[endif]-->These simplification tricks do not seem useful for pages that are compilations of other pages such as CNN.COM/NEWS, CBC.CA/NEWS, BBC.COM/NEWS.