Single place to store add-on settings

Sergey Fleytin

Hi everyone!

We all know that the power of NVDA screen reader comes from many add-ons which are provided by developers of NVDA and by community.

But when you have many add-ons installed finding settings for particular add-on becomes a real pain because we never know excatly where to look for them.

So, may be we, as a community, should ask NVDA developers to provide a single place where all third party add-on should install their parameters. It may be, for example, "Add-on Settings" option under NVDA options sub menu.

Just wonder what others think about it?

WBR,

Sergei.

Brian's Mail list account

It would be different on portable to installed versions though.
I think in the main one sees some storing them in the main folders in the users roaming folders, but of course for portable being wide open for all its going to be somewhere in the add ons folelder.

Such a change now, however would immediately mean all add ons would need a rewrite to accommodate the new rules.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

We all know that the power of NVDA screen reader comes from many add-ons
which are provided by developers of NVDA and by community.

But when you have many add-ons installed finding settings for particular
add-on becomes a real pain because we never know excatly where to look
for them.

So, may be we, as a community, should ask NVDA developers to provide a
single place where all third party add-on should install their
parameters. It may be, for example, "Add-on Settings" option under NVDA
options sub menu.

Just wonder what others think about it?

WBR,

Sergei.

Bob Cavanaugh

I admit I'm only running two addons, but they are all under their own
options under settings. I see no problem with this configuration,
unless you're using configuration profiles for certain applications.
Then it can get a little out of hand.

On 8/17/22, Sergey Fleytin <fleytin@...> wrote:
Hi everyone!

We all know that the power of NVDA screen reader comes from many add-ons
which are provided by developers of NVDA and by community.

But when you have many add-ons installed finding settings for particular
add-on becomes a real pain because we never know excatly where to look
for them.

So, may be we, as a community, should ask NVDA developers to provide a
single place where all third party add-on should install their
parameters. It may be, for example, "Add-on Settings" option under NVDA
options sub menu.

Just wonder what others think about it?

WBR,

Sergei.

Sarah k Alawami

That might be a bit cludgy, as what if you have 150 add ons installed, which by the way is probably never going to happen. I like the idea, however there has got to be a better, easier implementation.

We all know that the power of NVDA screen reader comes from many add-ons which are provided by developers of NVDA and by community.

But when you have many add-ons installed finding settings for particular add-on becomes a real pain because we never know excatly where to look for them.

So, may be we, as a community, should ask NVDA developers to provide a single place where all third party add-on should install their parameters. It may be, for example, "Add-on Settings" option under NVDA options sub menu.

Just wonder what others think about it?

WBR,

Sergei.

I would have no objection were such a "standard location" to be included as part of NVDA itself, but that would not even come close to guaranteeing that all, or even most, add-on developers would avail themselves of using that location.  (Or at least if it were not enforced as part of add-on review).

NVDA Add-Ons are, for all practical intents and purposes, independent programs that so happen to work directly with NVDA.  That almost certainly means that the various developers of same will do precisely as they see fit unless there were to be some sort of review and enforcement for "official" add-ons.  That currently exists, but many of the add-ons discussed here and elsewhere are not "official" and, as a result, are not subject to any review or standardization.

         ~ Vance Packard

Hi,

We need to recognize that when folks talk about add-on settings, it can either mean the settings interface or where settings are actually stored. I'm assuming the former in my reply below:

In theory, add-on authors are supposed (or rather encouraged) to present add-on settings interface in NVDA Settings screen. Not all add-ons do this for various reasons:

  1. Add-ons come with additional screens required to use the add-on. The best example is Remote add-on where the add-on creates a submenu inside NVDA Tools menu to house not only add-on options screen, but also menu items to handle remote connections.
  2. Add-ons provide different interfaces for different purposes. The best example is Add-on Updater where the add-on does offer a settings panel as part of NVDA Settings screen in addition to adding a menu entry in NVDA Tools menu for checking for add-on updates. I (the author of this add-on) did it intentionally to let users configure ad-don settings from NVDA Settings interface while opening Tools menu to check for updates.
  3. It is becoming harder to track who is developing what and keeping up with changes. To keep the thread short (hopefully because going into compatibility discussions may lead to a repeat of what we saw in May and June), suffice to say that add-ons community is still keeping in touch with add-on authors, at least authors with known contact information. I'm hoping that a new mailing list NV Access has just launched could make it easier to inform folks about keeping up with changes. As Brian V noted several times and as I have demonstrated, add-ons can become unmaintained or authors seek new maintainers.

In short, while I understand the reasons for the initial suggestion, I'm afraid that reality tells us otherwise. Hope this helps and clarifies a lot.

Cheers,

Joseph