Topics

Skype

Damien Garwood

Hi,
Over the past few weeks, NVDA seems to have trouble focusing controls when reloading Skype from the system tray.
1. Open Skype. NVDA behaves normally.
2. Minimise Skype to system tray.
3. Reload, either by attempting to actually reload Skype, or by accessing the tray icon and hitting enter on the "Open Skype" option in the context menu.
Now, tabbing, arrowing, and attempting to switch on/off browse/focus mode all fail, unless I go into a menu and choose an option that loads another window (let's say the "about" dialog), then exit back to the main screen.
I'm not sure whether a Skype update has caused this, or whether this is a problem with NVDA 2020.2. It certainly never happened in 2020.1.
Has anyone else had this issue, or is it one of those strange occurrences again where it's just me?
Cheers.
Damien.

David Csercsics

Yes, I think this is a Skype bug, because my friend who uses JAWS noticed the same issue. The only way for it to get focus is to press the alt key twice to enter and exit the menus, or do something else that works with the menus. This is obviously bad programming somewhere but I don't think it's NVDA's fault since it is broken with at least one other screen reader that uses a different model for interacting with Windows than NVDA does. I never thought to try with narrator, but I expect the same result as with NVDA. Maybe we'll have to look at it and see what's going on visually.

Damien Garwood

Hi David,
That's useful to know.
To be fair, I never thought of exiting the menus straight away! That's much quicker than my current workaround. Typical of me to overcomplicate/overthink things. Thanks for that.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 18/08/2020 10:03 pm, David Csercsics wrote:
Yes, I think this is a Skype bug, because my friend who uses JAWS noticed the same issue. The only way for it to get focus is to press the alt key twice to enter and exit the menus, or do something else that works with the menus. This is obviously bad programming somewhere but I don't think it's NVDA's fault since it is broken with at least one other screen reader that uses a different model for interacting with Windows than NVDA does. I never thought to try with narrator, but I expect the same result as with NVDA. Maybe we'll have to look at it and see what's going on visually.

Jackie

Have yall tried ensuring Skype is maximized?

On 8/18/20, Damien Garwood <@daygar> wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

This is an electron problem. Skype are aware of the issue and it will be fixed. Sorry no ETA.