From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Norton
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2022 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Sleep mode question

Hi listers:

I have a particular application I would like to launch and have NVDA go into sleep mode as long as I am in the application.

Someone on this list gave me a way to do that, but, I neglected to save the message.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gtt North Bay

You can use NVDA+S and cycle through speech mode off or beep and same command to resume speech.

Thanks,

Brian B.

I have a particular application I would like to launch and have NVDA go into sleep mode as long as I am in the application.

Someone on this list gave me a way to do that, but, I neglected to save the message.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Joseph Norton

This is true; I already know this.

What I’m looking for is a way to have NVDA switch sleep mode on automatically when I open or alt-tab into the particular application, since it is self-voicing.

Thanks, anyway.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 11:11 PM, Joseph Norton wrote:
What I’m looking for is a way to have NVDA switch sleep mode on automatically when I open or alt-tab into the particular application, since it is self-voicing.
-
Sarah already gave you your answer in the first response to your query:  Set up an configuration profile for that self-voicing application that turns off NVDA when you're in it, and turns it back on when you exit.  It is an automatically triggered configuration profile.

See Section 12.4 in the User Guide, which you can open using NVDA + N, H, U   [NVDA Menu, Help, User Guide]

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Also, from post  by Quentin Christensen:

See our recent In-process blog article on using Configuration Profiles: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-19th-august-2021/#Profiles

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Fawaz Abdul rahman

Hi, just for clarification, Speech off and sleep mode are not the same thing.
When the NVDA is in sleep mode, all the keys will go to the application directly.
Good luck.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 6:04 AM Gtt North Bay <gtt.northbay@...> wrote:

You can use NVDA+S and cycle through speech mode off or beep and same command to resume speech.

Thanks,

Brian B.

I have a particular application I would like to launch and have NVDA go into sleep mode as long as I am in the application.

Someone on this list gave me a way to do that, but, I neglected to save the message.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris Mullins

Hi

There is a difference between Speech mode and Sleep Mode.  Speech mode determines whether NVDA speaks or not, Sleep mode disables all NVDA commands and speech/braille output for the current application.  Sleep mode is enabled/disabled using NVDA+shift+s in desktop layout NVDA+shift+z in laptop layout.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 06:55 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
There is a difference between Speech mode and Sleep Mode.
-
Indeed.  My guess, just based upon the back and forth, is that it's speech mode off that's being sought.

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Sarah k Alawami

It can. Not sure about speech off and on though. I personally would not in a profile as I might forget. Good luck.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 06:55 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

There is a difference between Speech mode and Sleep Mode.

-
Indeed.  My guess, just based upon the back and forth, is that it's speech mode off that's being sought.

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Lukasz Golonka

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 07:00:51 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.
No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.
--
Regards
Lukasz

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 11:24 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Not sure about speech off and on though. I personally would not in a profile as I might forget.
-
What earthly difference would it make?

You could potentially forget anything that you put in a configuration profile, and speech off in an automatically triggered profile for a self-voiced application may be precisely what is wanted.  Or it could be sleep mode is what is wanted.

But the initial effect of "no NVDA speech" in that application is the same no matter which is used.  The difference being how keystrokes are handled and whether NVDA ever even tries to process any.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Sarah k Alawami

Oh, however what I do is set a profile up specifically for an app, turn on sleep mode and when I alt tab away sleep mode is activated when I alt tab back and deactivated when I alt tab away. I hope that makes sence. So, activate sleep mode in that profile once the app is started and when you alt tab away you will have use of nvda. When you alt tab back to the app nvda will sleep.

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.
No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.
--
Regards
Lukasz

Niranjan Vala

Hello, As far as I know, You cannot configure NVDA's sleep mode in NVDA's configuration profile. If He want to do that kind of thing, I think right now this is not supported by the NVDA.

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 at 22:10, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Oh, however what I do is set a profile up specifically for an app, turn on sleep mode and when I alt tab away sleep mode is activated when I alt tab back and deactivated when I alt tab away. I hope that makes sence. So, activate sleep mode in that profile once the app is started and when you alt tab away you will have use of nvda. When you alt tab back to the app nvda will sleep.

> But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.

No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.
--
Regards
Lukasz

Niranjan G Vala

Hi. That's a different way of doing it. I usually use sleep mode without a profile, and I'm not sure setting up a profile is necessary, unless the profile helps NVDA remember to turn sleep mode on for that app even after NVDA has been restarted. I think that's one of the points of profiles, to save these settings and trigger them at specific times even if NVDA has been restarted since the profile was created. Since I didn't think configuration profiles worked like that with sleep mode, I've been using it without one, and it still turns on when I'm in that app and off when I Alt+Tab away. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that's how sleep mode is supposed to work, without the use of a configuration profile for the app. Does the profile help sleep mode work better or differently in some way I'm not understanding? Thanks.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 10:40 AM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Oh, however what I do is set a profile up specifically for an app, turn on sleep mode and when I alt tab away sleep mode is activated when I alt tab back and deactivated when I alt tab away. I hope that makes sence. So, activate sleep mode in that profile once the app is started and when you alt tab away you will have use of nvda. When you alt tab back to the app nvda will sleep.

> But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.

No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.
--
Regards
Lukasz

Gene

I seem to recall seeing years ago that there is a way to do this that doesn't involve profiles.  Someone may remember it.

Gene

On 1/15/2022 10:34 AM, Lukasz Golonka via groups.io wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 07:00:51 -0800
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

But, even if it is sleep mode, I think that can still be accomplished with a configuration profile that automatically triggers when a specific application has focus.
No, it cannot. Sleep mode cannot be currently set in a profile.

Gene

That has nothing to do with a profile.  When you manually turn on sleep in an application and tab away, you go out of sleep mode. When you return to the application, sleep mode resumes.

Gene

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 11:40 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
So, activate sleep mode in that profile once the app is started and when you alt tab away you will have use of nvda. When you alt tab back to the app nvda will sleep.
-
What you're saying does make sense, since the application profile serves to create an "NVDA microclimate" and you can make additional changes within the "microclimate" on the fly, which only apply to it, but not outside of it, and that will hold until NVDA is restarted.

It sounds like that's exactly what Lanie is doing, too, except seemingly without an application profile.  I am not running to the User Guide at this very moment, but if what Lanie says is correct (and I'm not doubting that it is) then Sleep Mode kinda sorta creates a transitory equivalent of a configuration profile for sleep mode.  What  I'd be curious to know is whether it holds if you close the application you set up sleep mode for and started it again (I'd suspect not, but . . . ) or whether it holds for that application after it's been set until NVDA itself is closed then restarted.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 12:18 PM, Gene wrote:
When you manually turn on sleep in an application and tab away, you go out of sleep mode. When you return to the application, sleep mode resumes.
-
Which exactly matches my concept of the "transitory application profile" for sleep mode itself.  Other settings don't behave similarly when tabbing between applications.  You either get universal change if no application profile is in use or get selected tweaks only when in a given application when one is in use.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Sarah k Alawami

Oh, Hmm I didn't actually realize that. I still have a profile though just in cawe, that will save sound devices if I need to do this.