Slight problem with Whatsapp Desktop add-on

Sim Kah Yong

Hi all,

May I know if anyone encounters this problem with the above add-on for Whatsapp Desktop? The keyboard shortcut , Control + shift + T which is supposed to Say name of actual chat does not work for me. Most of the other shortcuts are working well. I want to thank the person who created this add-on which makes working with Whatsapp Desktop a joy.

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2021.2 and the latest version of the add-on. Anticipating any response. Thanks.

Rui Fontes

By last version of add-on, do you mean 2.2142.12?

Rui Fontes

Às 08:32 de 16/11/2021, Sim Kah Yong escreveu:

Hi all,

May I know if anyone encounters this problem with the above add-on for Whatsapp Desktop? The keyboard shortcut , Control + shift + T which is supposed to Say name of actual chat does not work for me. Most of the other shortcuts are working well. I want to thank the person who created this add-on which makes working with Whatsapp Desktop a joy.

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2021.2 and the latest version of the add-on. Anticipating any response. Thanks.

Sim Kah Yong

Yes. Thanks.

On 16/11/2021 6:46 pm, Rui Fontes wrote:
By last version of add-on, do you mean 2.2142.12?

Rui Fontes

Às 08:32 de 16/11/2021, Sim Kah Yong escreveu:
Hi all,

May I know if anyone encounters this problem with the above add-on for Whatsapp Desktop? The keyboard shortcut , Control + shift + T which is supposed to Say name of actual chat does not work for me. Most of the other shortcuts are working well. I want to thank the person who created this add-on which makes working with Whatsapp Desktop a joy.

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2021.2 and the latest version of the add-on. Anticipating any response. Thanks.

Rui Fontes

Forwarded to add-on author...

Rui Fontes

Às 10:50 de 16/11/2021, Sim Kah Yong escreveu:

Yes. Thanks.

On 16/11/2021 6:46 pm, Rui Fontes wrote:
By last version of add-on, do you mean 2.2142.12?

Rui Fontes

Às 08:32 de 16/11/2021, Sim Kah Yong escreveu:
Hi all,

May I know if anyone encounters this problem with the above add-on for Whatsapp Desktop? The keyboard shortcut , Control + shift + T which is supposed to Say name of actual chat does not work for me. Most of the other shortcuts are working well. I want to thank the person who created this add-on which makes working with Whatsapp Desktop a joy.

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2021.2 and the latest version of the add-on. Anticipating any response. Thanks.

Sim Kah Yong

Thanks for notifying the author of the issue. I am glad I am not the only one encountering the same issue. Hope the next update will resolve it.

On 16/11/2021 7:01 pm, Rui Fontes wrote:
Forwarded to add-on author...

Rui Fontes

Às 10:50 de 16/11/2021, Sim Kah Yong escreveu:
Yes. Thanks.

On 16/11/2021 6:46 pm, Rui Fontes wrote:
By last version of add-on, do you mean 2.2142.12?

Rui Fontes

Às 08:32 de 16/11/2021, Sim Kah Yong escreveu:
Hi all,

May I know if anyone encounters this problem with the above add-on for Whatsapp Desktop? The keyboard shortcut , Control + shift + T which is supposed to Say name of actual chat does not work for me. Most of the other shortcuts are working well. I want to thank the person who created this add-on which makes working with Whatsapp Desktop a joy.

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2021.2 and the latest version of the add-on. Anticipating any response. Thanks.

Sim Kah Yong

Hi, I still encounter the same issue after I updated the Whatsapp add-on this morning.

The keystroke Control + Shift + T does not work. It is supposed to Say name of actual chat.

On 16/11/2021 7:16 pm, Sim Kah Yong via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

try removing NVDA completely from your computer and install everything again

Em seg., 22 de nov. de 2021 às 00:06, Sim Kah Yong <simkahyong@...> escreveu:

Hi, I still encounter the same issue after I updated the Whatsapp add-on
this morning.

The keystroke Control + Shift + T does not work. It is supposed to Say
name of actual chat.

On 16/11/2021 7:16 pm, Sim Kah Yong via groups.io wrote:
> Thanks for notifying the author of the issue. I am glad I am not the
> only one encountering the same issue. Hope the next update will
> resolve it.
>
> On 16/11/2021 7:01 pm, Rui Fontes wrote:
>> Forwarded to add-on author...
>>

>> Rui Fontes
>>

>> Às 10:50 de 16/11/2021, Sim Kah Yong escreveu:
>>> Yes. Thanks.

The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues

The first two are always worth doing whether you suspect the issue is with NVDA itself or an add-on.

There are times where the "one bad apple" in your collection of add-ons can have a domino effect on others, too.  So it can be worth disabling all your add ons, except the one that appears to be misbehaving, then seeing if it continues to misbehave when it's the only add-on running.  If it's fine when it's running alone, then read the tutorial referenced in the message above for the step-by-step process of isolating "a bad apple" when it becomes clear that there is one.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Sim Kah Yong

Hi, I restart NVDA with all add-ons disabled. But how do I enable Whatsapp add-on from there? I go to add-on manager but cannot find anything to do that.

On 22/11/2021 12:36 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues

The first two are always worth doing whether you suspect the issue is with NVDA itself or an add-on.

There are times where the "one bad apple" in your collection of add-ons can have a domino effect on others, too.  So it can be worth disabling all your add ons, except the one that appears to be misbehaving, then seeing if it continues to misbehave when it's the only add-on running.  If it's fine when it's running alone, then read the tutorial referenced in the message above for the step-by-step process of isolating "a bad apple" when it becomes clear that there is one.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

1: open the NVDA menu.2: go to tools3: go to manage add-ons4: disable all add-ons except the one with the problem.5: to disable add-ons, choose the add-on with the arrows and scroll to disable add-on.

Em seg., 22 de nov. de 2021 às 01:52, Sim Kah Yong <simkahyong@...> escreveu:

[...]

Thanks for the instruction. Is there a more straightforward way of doing it?

I tried to do it by restarting NVDA with all add-ons disabled. But there is no way for me to enable just the Whatsapp add-on from there. Thanks.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 05:45 AM, Sim Kah Yong wrote:
Thanks for the instruction. Is there a more straightforward way of doing it?
-
Not that I'm aware of.  I always used the technique that Eduardo mentions.

I need to check if there's a GitHub ticket about making it such that if you've started NVDA with Add-Ons Disabled that Add-On Manager would offer you a way to selectively re-enable one or more during that session.  There could be a very good reason this functionality doesn't exist, or it could be that it's never been asked for.

It would be very handy to replicate what's called a clean boot process under Windows, where you "eliminate by halves"  and keep re-enabling in chunks until something breaks again.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

I could find no ticket in GitHub, so I've opened a new feature request, #13084Add-Ons Manager - When restarting with add-ons disabled, make it possible to selectively re-enable

If you have a GitHub account and think this is a worthwhile change, after having read the feature request, then please comment on it.  Or even if you don't think it's a worthwhile request after having read the feature request.  Community input is one of the things that gets these things looked at and, possibly, implemented.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Sim Kah Yong

HI all,

After going through the troubleshooting steps, I find out more about the Whatsapp add-on as follows:

1. The keystroke Control + Shift + T only works when my focus is on the message list.

2. When I press Control + Tab or Control + Shift + Tab to move among the chat list, I do not hear the chat that is highlighted. It would be very helpful if such information can be voiced out.

Once again, using the Whatsapp add-on is a joy on a whole.