From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: Sunday, November 7, 2021 8:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Slow response in Microsoft Word

I just started using Microsoft Word again for the first time in several years. I noticed that navigating around the document and the various tabs in the ribbon was slower than I would like. I don't know what's causing this, or whether it's a Word thing or an NVDA thing, so I thought I'd ask here.

Sharni-Lee Ward

The latest version, just installed tonight after I joined the subscription.

On 8/11/2021 3:58 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
Hello. What version of Word are you using?

I just started using Microsoft Word again for the first time in several years. I noticed that navigating around the document and the various tabs in the ribbon was slower than I would like. I don't know what's causing this, or whether it's a Word thing or an NVDA thing, so I thought I'd ask here.

Sky Mundell

OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

The latest version, just installed tonight after I joined the subscription.

On 8/11/2021 3:58 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
Hello. What version of Word are you using?

I just started using Microsoft Word again for the first time in several years. I noticed that navigating around the document and the various tabs in the ribbon was slower than I would like. I don't know what's causing this, or whether it's a Word thing or an NVDA thing, so I thought I'd ask here.

Jujube

Hello, which version of NVDA are you using, and which office version do you have? Are you on office 2016, 2019 or word 365? Thanks.

On Sun, Nov 7, 2021 at 8:57 AM Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@...> wrote:
I just started using Microsoft Word again for the first time in several
years. I noticed that navigating around the document and the various
tabs in the ribbon was slower than I would like. I don't know what's
causing this, or whether it's a Word thing or an NVDA thing, so I
thought I'd ask here.

Chris

Anything could have happened to office in the time you last used it, so make sure its up to date then try a repair or uninstall and reinstall again

I just started using Microsoft Word again for the first time in several

years. I noticed that navigating around the document and the various

tabs in the ribbon was slower than I would like. I don't know what's

causing this, or whether it's a Word thing or an NVDA thing, so I

thought I'd ask here.

Sharni-Lee Ward

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

The latest version, just installed tonight after I joined the subscription.

On 8/11/2021 3:58 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
Hello. What version of Word are you using?

I just started using Microsoft Word again for the first time in several years. I noticed that navigating around the document and the various tabs in the ribbon was slower than I would like. I don't know what's causing this, or whether it's a Word thing or an NVDA thing, so I thought I'd ask here.

Sharni-Lee Ward

This is literally a fresh install as of a few hours ago.

On 8/11/2021 4:32 am, Chris via groups.io wrote:

Anything could have happened to office in the time you last used it, so make sure its up to date then try a repair or uninstall and reinstall again

I just started using Microsoft Word again for the first time in several

years. I noticed that navigating around the document and the various

tabs in the ribbon was slower than I would like. I don't know what's

causing this, or whether it's a Word thing or an NVDA thing, so I

thought I'd ask here.

Gene

It seems to me I saw something a few weeks ago that sluggishness in Word in moving through documents was considerably improved in the beta versions of NVDA.  If you haven’t done this, you might want to try a beta [portable.

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

So where can I get a beta copy to test this out?

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

Chris Smart

The NVDA Website??

Nvaccess.org

Or, Google is your friend.

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

UIA is mainly only effective for office 365, I think for older office versions it's less critical.

On Sun, Nov 7, 2021 at 9:59 AM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

The NVDA Website??

Nvaccess.org

Or, Google is your friend.

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

Sorry, it's been a while and I thought NVAccess only displayed stable releases... My bad.

On 8/11/2021 4:59 am, Chris Smart wrote:

The NVDA Website??

Nvaccess.org

Or, Google is your friend.

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

Just tested with the beta, and it's a bit faster, but not as responsive as I'm accustomed to from most other apps. The only other app that lags like this is Thunderbird, though admittedly that lag is worse than word's. It's probably partly that I'm tabbing manually through the ribbon instead of using keyboard shortcuts. I've forgotten how to do most of the things I'll want to do with shortcuts but I can google those.

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

Sarah k Alawami

I can tab fine in word and it’s fast as ever, same as  outlook. Have you tried if possible starting word in safe mode?

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

I wouldn't know how to do that. What would it prove? And do you mean there's a safe mode for the program or that I have to start the whole computer in safe mode? Because I have zero idea on how to do that either...

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

It might prove that something is not loading right. I believe it disables some add ons from starting. If you look on stack overflow on how to start winword in safe mode you might be able to find out how to do this, or on ms’s support site. Also ask the Microsoft office list that someone gave a sub link to in here, I think it was in here?

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

I don't think I have any Word addons.

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

I think I managed to open Word in Safe Mode (hold control and press Enter). It didn't announce it, though, so I can't be sure. It also still lagged, so I really can't be sure.

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM

Tried it, and the response when tabbing around is still sluggish.

On 8/11/2021 4:04 am, Sky Mundell wrote:
> OK. You have to go into the NVDA menu/preferences/settings then go down to Advanced settings and enable the use UIA automation for word documents. Note: you can only do this after you get past a warning message. Thanks, Sky.

I should clarify that when I opened in Safe Mode, although the keyboard shortcut took several seconds to do it, once I was in the Styles pane I could move around okay.

And since there was a notice about providing versions, I'm currently using NVDA 2021.2.

Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2021 11:33 AM