Diane K.

                Hi, list, I have a slight problem with NVDA.  I hadn't gone into it for a couple days.  I went in hoping my friend could help me remotely.  It didn't play the music or speak.  I re-loaded the latest updae, thinking maybe something was corrupted.  it wasn't.  It doesn't say anthing or play the opening or closing music.  Neither is there any kind of speech.  Is there a way to check if the speech is on or not.  The Braille display stays on the same line, also.

Thanks much for the help.

When you say "re-loaded the latest update," do you mean that you completely uninstalled NVDA, then installed it again?  If not, that's worth a try.

I'd suggest you try the COM Registration Fixing Tool, but you have to be able to get the NVDA main menu to come up to do that, and it sounds like you don't get even that far.
--

It used to be understood that if you published and profited from a mass media platform you should also be responsible for its content. That idea is nowadays considered quaintly archaic. There is no real accountability, and almost limitless ability to post any kind of ridiculous and scurrilous nonsense. God help us.

       ~ Ross Goldbaum, Letter to the New York Times,

          Regulating Media: It’s Now Seen as a Quaint Idea, November 13, 2022

Luke Davis

Diane K. wrote:

                Hi, list, I have a slight problem with NVDA.  I hadn't gone into it for a couple days.  I went in hoping my friend could help me remotely.
It didn't play the music or speak.  [.] It doesn't say anthing or play the
opening or closing music.  Neither is there any kind of speech.  Is there a way to check if the speech is on or not.
This could be something as simple as the NVDA application being muted in the sound volume mixer (Windows+R, type sndvol, press enter, tab to the NVDA section if it exists and check the mute button and volume).

You could try running Narrator, then starting NVDA, to determine if there is any error dialog or such.

The Braille display stays on the same line, also.
But what's on that line?

This could be a tethering issue. With NVDA supposedly running, try pressing NVDA+Ctrl+T. That's the desktop mode command; laptop mode might use a different one.

Luke

Diane K.

I uninstalled NVDA and rej-installed the latest updat as soon as I downloaded it.  My friend also told to use N on the desktop because the hotkey does not work anymore.  I had tried the hotkey earlier today and it did not take me into the program.  I can hit capslock N and I go into the menu, it just doesn't speak.  I have to use the up and down arrow keys with one hand and read what the Braille display says.

What is that tool you mentioned and how do you use it?  I haven't heard of it.

          Regulating Media: It’s Now Seen as a Quaint Idea, November 13, 2022

Luke brings up a good point:  Everything could be muted, or NVDA could.   Is anything that should be "making noise" actually doing so?

The COM Registration Fixing Tool is run from the NVDA Main Menu.  NVDA + N, T, R, followed by Enter.  [NVDA Main Menu, Tools, R to first letter nav to the option noted, Enter to cause it to trigger].

          Regulating Media: It’s Now Seen as a Quaint Idea, November 13, 2022

Brian's Mail list account

Well, I had an issue of this. If I then re invoke the start icon with the right alt and n it comes up. Looking at the old log, it seems that its set to no synth etc, and further back says no audio device found.
I think sometimes this happens when a driver loads and delays the sound drivers from loading so that NVDA has polled for the sound system and cannot find it. The last time this happened I traced it for no apparent reason to a ram stick that was giving issues when the machine booted up. I removed that stick and all was sweetness and light again.
Not being an expert on quite how Windows decides what to load and when, that is all I can report.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Hi, list, I have a slight problem with NVDA. I hadn't gone into it for a couple days. I went in hoping my friend could help me remotely. It didn't play the music or speak. I re-loaded the latest updae, thinking maybe something was corrupted. it wasn't. It doesn't say anthing or play the opening or closing music. Neither is there any kind of speech. Is there a way to check if the speech is on or not. The Braille display stays on the same line, also.

Thanks much for the help.

Brian's Mail list account

It is odd that the shortcut does not work. That could be because the audio is muted, or just that the drivers are not loaded for sound of course. I do have the add on for unmute sound loaded, and this definitely does show, in my case, that the audio works, except that its too late to catch nvda loading, when something is slowing down windows at load time.

*Regulating Media* : It’s Now Seen as a Quaint Idea ( https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/13/opinion/letters/lgbt-gay-queer.html?unlocked_article_code=Cl2WWm1HQ_zCiKdsJsYVPe7BCcvGmpAR4XYhXOT65_klpe4W5ZE5yKLwxjjj5FOKbJvCqJRyAkEe4CyWWBKaPbA8VD56UGKLnRTzuR2OMPQNRAG48gD9LEWkg70cspvjFJTxkmAQwp0LD5oGQy1QAuaclTYVJQg8lbv0oFv67C5YQe-Xu2OEExFOsgMn262oX4rGs3e9a0qcNAXXDOGe7yCfqduZpjuGX5SvdUcsdzbvl0ywgXPDNtu7-kLwGhfXM62S_dC5i4IcdI79tVQADle0d4bV1XR4O75HB-knCzhBZt7-VnT2bDGpjvbNqiaGla9kEdBPpWoe0jmJE0kF&smid=share-url ) , November 13, 2022

On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 06:52 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Well, I had an issue of this. If I then re invoke the start icon with the right alt and n it comes up. Looking at the old log, it seems that its set to no synth etc, and further back says no audio device found.
-
Which absolutely can happen, it's not common, but it happens.  Most system services are started asynchronously from one another, and generally applications after that, but these days that asynchrony can cause something that depends on another something to not have the thing it depends on ready, in some cases.

A dear and departed friend of mine never had NVDA start with Windows for precisely this reason.  For some reason, her system always wanted to spawn NVDA before something or other was not yet up and running that NVDA needed, resulting in issues.  She routinely let the system boot up then used the keyboard shortcut to load NVDA as a matter of course.

While you might, eventually, solve this problem on a given machine such that this would not be necessary, it becomes a question as to whether the quest is worth it.  It's a simple matter to invoke NVDA via keyboard shortcut and most of us have a pretty good idea of how long it takes for our machines to boot up.  Of course, PIN or Password login is a bit trickier, but still achievable, particularly PIN, if you keep it simple.

          Regulating Media: It’s Now Seen as a Quaint Idea, November 13, 2022

By the way, and I don't think I changed it, the default NVDA startup keyboard shortcut for me has been CTRL + ALT + N for as long as I can remember.  It was for Phyllis (the previously referenced friend), too, and I do not believe she ever customized it, either.

          Regulating Media: It’s Now Seen as a Quaint Idea, November 13, 2022

Diane K.

Hi, listers,  when my NVDA wasn't talking also no music to start or end, I thought I turned it off on Saturday.  It turns out that I didn't turn it off.  I couldn't tell because I had JAWS on and sometimes Narrator.

Anyway, I went to go on zoom for my Sunday school meeting and I heard Jaws in my headphone and the sapi5 voice coming out of the computer.  I recognized it later as the voice I had chosen for NVDA.  I guess what that person something about windows drivers catching up was right.  NVDA is talking now like it should be.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  God bless.

          Regulating Media: It’s Now Seen as a Quaint Idea, November 13, 2022