From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

Hi,
To answer the synthesizer question (as that's part of what you are using): yes, there is a version of Vocalizer that's compatible with newer NVDA releases.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of E.T. via groups.io
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 12:50 PM
To: NVDA <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Some NVDA Questions

I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running Windows for some applications.

First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

E.T.

Is that included or available from another source/. Is it free? Thank you.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...

On 6/26/2020 12:52 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
To answer the synthesizer question (as that's part of what you are using): yes, there is a version of Vocalizer that's compatible with newer NVDA releases.
Cheers,
Joseph
I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running Windows for some applications.
First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.
One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?
When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.
From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

Hi,
To find out, we need to know the actual Vocalizer driver version in use, as that'll help us locate the appropriate update. Note that the updated driver requires newer NVDA releases.
Cheers,
Joseph

I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running Windows for some applications.

First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited in the past. What if it were
true?

Rui Fontes

Joseph, there are three versions...

From Tiflotecnia, Vocalizer Expressive;

From CodeFactory, Vocalizer Expressive only for NVDA, and;

Also from CodeFactory, Vocalizer Expressive in SAPI5.

All them are paid, but if you already have he license, the update will be free, at least it is free from Tiflotecnia.

Rui Fontes

Tiflotecnia, Lda.

Às 21:07 de 26/06/2020, Joseph Lee escreveu:

Hi,
To find out, we need to know the actual Vocalizer driver version in use, as that'll help us locate the appropriate update. Note that the updated driver requires newer NVDA releases.
Cheers,
Joseph

I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running Windows for some applications.

First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited in the past. What if it were
true?

E.T.

Hi,
I took a look at what I have and it's Samantha from Code Factory. How would I go about upgrading the voice? Am still running NVDA 2019.2. Thanks.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...

On 6/26/2020 3:11 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Joseph, there are three versions...
From Tiflotecnia, Vocalizer Expressive;
From CodeFactory, Vocalizer Expressive only for NVDA, and;
[...]

   From E.T.'s Keyboard...
      Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited in the past. What if it were
true?

Gene

Unknown means something, it could be anything, is unknown to NVDA. NVDA is simply telling you that it doesn't know how to read something. Often, it doesn't matter. If you hear what you should, it doesn't matter. Its just clutter. If you hear unknown instead of what you should hear, then there is a problem and there is probably nothing you can do because the screen-reader itself doesn't know what something is.

I'm not sure what you are asking for in terms of how control plus letter is read. For example, in a new menu, new document may be control n. New message in an e-mail program may be control n. In both cases, you are creating something new, a new document you are going to work with or a new message you are going to write. You must hear control and the letter. Either by itself means nothing.

The purpose of such short ccuts is to avoid opening a menu. You execute a command directly from the program window. You will also hear the menu shortcut when you are moving through a menu. For example, you might hear new message as a menu item, then control n, then a letter. The letter is the short cut you use when you are in the menu. For example, in a file menu new something may have a control n short cut. It may also have a letter, such as d. I've never seen d used in this way, it is an example. Let's say it means document. If you want to use the shortcut that opens the menu, you would use alt f then d for new document. If you want to bypass the menu and use only one command, you would use control n.

I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running
Windows for some applications.

First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased
voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased
voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not
sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the
letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

E.T.

Ok I won't worry about the unknown. :)

I know how the menu system works. If one has super memory then knowing all the shortcuts would be fine.

What I am talking about is that NVDA will not read 'ctrl' as 'control' but spells the letters out. Another one might be F3 for find next. NVDA reads that as 'f3n'. I have a hearing impairment so this makes it more difficult to understand.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...

-----Original Message----- From: E.T. via groups.io
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 2:50 PM
To: NVDA
   I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running
Windows for some applications.
   First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased
voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased
voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.
   One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not
sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?
   When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the
letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.
From E.T.'s Keyboard...
   Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

Sam Taylor

CTRL is used in place of control in many applications. If you don't like it being read as ctrl, you could always change the text string in NVDA's speech dictionary.

On 27/06/2020 9:37 am, E.T. via groups.io wrote:
   Ok I won't worry about the unknown. :)

   I know how the menu system works. If one has super memory then knowing all the shortcuts would be fine.

   What I am talking about is that NVDA will not read 'ctrl' as 'control' but spells the letters out. Another one might be F3 for find next. NVDA reads that as 'f3n'. I have a hearing impairment so this makes it more difficult to understand.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...

Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 2:50 PM
To: NVDA

    I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running
Windows for some applications.

    First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased
voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased
voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

    One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not
sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

    When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the
letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

 From E.T.'s Keyboard...
    Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

E.T.

That is all I wanted to find out. I did not think the dictionary would handle this kind of element. I will sure try it. Thanks.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...

On 6/26/2020 4:45 PM, Sam Taylor via groups.io wrote:
CTRL is used in place of control in many applications. If you don't like it being read as ctrl, you could always change the text string in NVDA's speech dictionary.
On 27/06/2020 9:37 am, E.T. via groups.io wrote:
   Ok I won't worry about the unknown. :)

   I know how the menu system works. If one has super memory then knowing all the shortcuts would be fine.

   What I am talking about is that NVDA will not read 'ctrl' as 'control' but spells the letters out. Another one might be F3 for find next. NVDA reads that as 'f3n'. I have a hearing impairment so this makes it more difficult to understand.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...

Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 2:50 PM
To: NVDA

    I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running
Windows for some applications.

    First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased
voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased
voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

    One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not
sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

    When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the
letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

 From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

Luke Davis

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020, E.T. via groups.io wrote:

Ok I won't worry about the unknown. :)
You can always try running the Com registration fixing tool from the tools menu of NVDA, to try to fix your unknowns. It may or may not help, but it won't hurt.

What I am talking about is that NVDA will not read 'ctrl' as 'control' but spells the letters out. Another one might be F3 for find next. NVDA reads that as 'f3n'. I have a hearing impairment so this makes it more difficult to understand.
Actually, you're hearing two things there.

If you're in the edit menu, and there is a find next command, pressing "n" will get you to it. However if you're not in the edit menu, and you just want to do a find next from where-ever you happen to be, then you would use "F3", which is your third function key.

So you are hearing F3, N (two separate commands). Both are ways to get to find next, but they are different ways of getting there.
You can either press alt+e, then n; or you can press F3.

Luke

Gene

But it is common to have NVDA say unknown in a browser and continue reading properly. the registration fixing tool is for fixing problems where all you hear or almost all you hear in some browsers is the word unknown and almost nothing is read. It also corrects other problems but I don't recall just what they are.

There is no harm in running the utility but I don't think anything is wrong.

Gene
[...]

That sounds to me like a synthesizer problem. Spelling control never happens to me. The word control as in "control n" is spoken. What happens when you try another synthesizer?

Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 2:50 PM
To: NVDA

I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running
Windows for some applications.

First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased
voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased
voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not
sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the
letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

Sam Taylor

True, both ESpeak and the OneCore voices speak C T R L as control.

Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 2:50 PM
To: NVDA

    I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running
Windows for some applications.

    First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased
voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased
voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

    One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not
sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

    When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the
letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

 From E.T.'s Keyboard...
    Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

Gene

Also, if you are going to use the speech dictionary, you need to know how the program displays the term. It isn't written out. It is cntrl. You have to use cntrl in the word field.

Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 2:50 PM
To: NVDA

I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running
Windows for some applications.

First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased
voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased
voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not
sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the
letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

E.T.

I have tried quite few voices but ended up with buying Samantha. Yes perhaps that is where the issue is but I added that to the dictionary and its fine now. But now I wonder if it is Samantha that is adding letters to the menu items as I posted earlier.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...

Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 2:50 PM
To: NVDA

    I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running
Windows for some applications.

    First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased
voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased
voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

    One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not
sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

    When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the
letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

 From E.T.'s Keyboard...
    Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

Sam Taylor

No, the letters observed in menus can be disabled by turning off the reporting of object shortcut keys.

This is found under NVDA's settings in the object presentation category.

On 27/06/2020 1:01 pm, E.T. via groups.io wrote:

   I have tried quite  few voices but ended up with buying Samantha. Yes perhaps that is where the issue is but I added that to the dictionary and its fine now. But now I wonder if it is Samantha that is adding letters to the menu items as I posted earlier.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...

Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 2:50 PM
To: NVDA

    I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running
Windows for some applications.

    First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased
voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased
voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

    One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not
sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

    When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the
letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

 From E.T.'s Keyboard...
    Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

E.T.

Ahh thanks, much better! :)

From E.T.'s Keyboard...

On 6/26/2020 9:47 PM, Sam Taylor via groups.io wrote:
No, the letters observed in menus can be disabled by turning off the reporting of object shortcut keys.
This is found under NVDA's settings in the object presentation category.
On 27/06/2020 1:01 pm, E.T. via groups.io wrote:

   I have tried quite  few voices but ended up with buying Samantha. Yes perhaps that is where the issue is but I added that to the dictionary and its fine now. But now I wonder if it is Samantha that is adding letters to the menu items as I posted earlier.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...

Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 2:50 PM
To: NVDA

    I am more comfortable with Voiceover but need to keep running
Windows for some applications.

    First, I'm still using NVDA 2019.2 because I have one purchased
voice. Have any new voices been added to later versions? The purchased
voice is Voiceover's Samantha voice or close to it.

    One web pages, and maybe elsewhere, sometimes I hear 'unknown'. Not
sure what element is spoken that way. Can I change it?

    When NVDA speaks shortcuts, for example, ctrl-a, it speaks the
letters. Can I change this so 'control' is spoken instead? Thanks much.

 From E.T.'s Keyboard...
Ancient.Aliens@...
Many believe that we have been visited
in the past. What if it were true?

Chris Mullins

HiIt’s more to do with the synthesizer in use.  For example if I use Notepad and open the file menu, the first item is voiced as “New control+n n”, indicating I can use Alt+f n or Control+n to open a new notepad document.  If I check this menu entry by letter it is actually written as “New Ctrl+n n” and it’s the synthesizer in my case Onecore Mark that speaks C T R L as Control, not NVDA.  I realise this is the opposite of what you are getting but you could always put an entry in the synthesizer dictionary, replacing cntrl with Control whenever it is encountered but be careful you do not compromise other word pronunciations, particularly in the case of the “ctl” abbreviation of Control.

Cheers

Chris

    I know how the menu system works. If one has super memory then

knowing all the shortcuts would be fine.

    What I am talking about is that NVDA will not read 'ctrl' as

'control' but spells the letters out. Another one might be F3 for find

next. NVDA reads that as 'f3n'. I have a hearing impairment so this

makes it more difficult to understand.

From E.T.'s Keyboard...