Sometimes NVDA only reads first line of an email in Outlook 2019 : depends on state of Outlook?

Milton Charlton

With a little more sleuthing I found that when Outlook is first started, NVDA will read an entire email when that email is selected by hitting Enter. When I try to read the same email again, only the first line is read out.  Now, if I exit Outlook and restart Outlook, that same email will be read out entirely but only the first time.  This behaviour is identical with HTML and with Plain Text emails.  It does not matter if the email is marked as Unread or not. Read All will read the entire email but only  after the first line is read out  so I get the first line twice.
The behaviour is not affected by disabling Outlook Extended addon.

NVDA  2021.3
Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044

Steve Nutt

I don’t get the  same experience.

So long as I read an HTML message, for me, it is always read, but a text message, never.

In any event, NVDA is pretty naff with Outlook compared with JAWS I have to say, especially JAWS 2022, which is lightning fast and reads any Email as soon as it is open.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

With a little more sleuthing I found that when Outlook is first started, NVDA will read an entire email when that email is selected by hitting Enter. When I try to read the same email again, only the first line is read out.  Now, if I exit Outlook and restart Outlook, that same email will be read out entirely but only the first time.  This behaviour is identical with HTML and with Plain Text emails.  It does not matter if the email is marked as Unread or not. Read All will read the entire email but only  after the first line is read out  so I get the first line twice.
The behaviour is not affected by disabling Outlook Extended addon.

NVDA  2021.3
Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044

Sarah k Alawami

I’ve never actually encountered this at all, but when I enter on a message I just hit caps lock a and read to my hart’s content.

With a little more sleuthing I found that when Outlook is first started, NVDA will read an entire email when that email is selected by hitting Enter. When I try to read the same email again, only the first line is read out.  Now, if I exit Outlook and restart Outlook, that same email will be read out entirely but only the first time.  This behaviour is identical with HTML and with Plain Text emails.  It does not matter if the email is marked as Unread or not. Read All will read the entire email but only  after the first line is read out  so I get the first line twice.
The behaviour is not affected by disabling Outlook Extended addon.

NVDA  2021.3
Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044

Gene

Are you saying that if you use the read to end command the moment you hear speech or a bit before that you hear the first line twice?  I don't know what happens in Outlook, but in the programs I use, using read to end prevents any duplication unless I wait to long to use the command or perhaps too early, while the message is still opening.

I haven't experimented that much after I found a procedure that works.

Gene