Spamming the Group - This will not be tolerated #adminnotice

Several people have pointed out that a topic introduced last night that was entitled "remote support" and that promoted joining another group was spam.

The member who originated this message has been warned that spamming the group absolutely will not be tolerated.  But since it is possible that spoofing could have been involved, he has not been banned.

But any repetition of spamming, whether the member themselves originated it or it was done because an email account was compromised, will result in a banning for the email address from which those messages originate.  If an account cannot be resecured by changing password then we cannot keep membership active under an address that remains compromised.

With any luck, this will be a one-off situation.  I have not seen anything like it prior to this message on any of the groups of which I'm a member.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Tyler Spivey

This is simply the result of sending an empty message, but nobody bothered to look.
The last thing he posted had that as his signature.

On 6/5/2022 10:25 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Bob Cavanaugh

It looked to me like he inadvertently sent the message before he
intended, as I think I've seen the other group promo in his signature
before.

On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 01:36 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
This is simply the result of sending an empty message, but nobody bothered to look.
The last thing he posted had that as his signature.
-
While this may be true, it's not up to me, or any reader, to ferret that out.

Note how my own signature is clearly designated in the way that's been a convention for decades now:  it is preceded by the "two hyphens and a space" deliniator.  And if you happen to be using the Groups.io signature feature, that gets put in by the software for you.

But if you are using other software that isn't, then you need to make sure that's included yourself.  Again, it's been common netiquette for decades now, so it shouldn't need to be pointed out.