Speaking of Paragraph markers and special symbols in Microsoft Word.

Deenadayalan Moodley

Hi all,

I am working on a rather detailed proofing of various documents and require the non-printable symbols to be spoken.  I have enabled this in Microsoft Word by <ctrl+shift+*> and ensure that the display options are checked in the options dialog.

I find that NVDA will not speak the paragraph markers or even the space markers.

I looked at the punctuation and symbols dialog and enabled the paragraph mark to always be sent to the speech synthesizer but, it will not speak.  Has anyone come across this issue and found a solution around it?

I tested with JFW and it is spoken and as I use NVDA as my primary screen reader, I would prefer to get this working instead having to switch screen readers just for this purpose.

Any ideas?Thanks.

Quentin Christensen

At the appropriate symbol / punctuation level, NVDA will read most punctuation.  Press NVDA+P to change punctuation level.  It does seem to work exactly the same in Word regardless of how show / hide non-printable characters / formatting symbols is set.  The main thing I noticed was that NVDA doesn't distinguish between a paragraph break (enter) and shift+enter, calling both simply "Carriage return".

If you can articulate what would be useful to have read which isn't now, I'd encourage you to create an issue on our tracker at: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Kind regards

Quentin.

--