Topics

special characters and punctuation feedback while typing in v2019.3.1

Martin Thomas Swaton

Hi,

I searched for this problem, but could not find a topic on it ... so if this already was asked, I am sorry...

Since the update the feedback of special characters and punctuation while typing has changed when you set the feedback to "words" and disable "characters".

normally special characters and punctuation was spoken emedeately on their keypress together with any other characters, that have been typed before.

example of old behaviour:

type: a.

feedback: a dot

new behavour:

type: a.

feedback: a

this is very problematic as you now do not get any feedback on typed special characters and punctuation. Try to type a smiley, you won't hear it. just silence.

Tried that with eloquence and espeak. So the speech/voice does not matter.

Hope this can be fixed

and additionally I would suggest to add a option/choice to choose wether special characters (and numbers) should be spoken emedeately on their keypress or together with other characters as whole words. So users could decide, which they prefer, as there where discussions in the past about that.

but right now it would be important to get back any feedback for theese special characters and punctuation.

cheers

Martin

Rui Fontes

Hello!

Are you talking when writing in a browser, in Skype and so on?

Rui Fontes

Às 11:00 de 12/02/2020, Martin Thomas Swaton escreveu:

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi Martin,

Have you restarted the computer since you updated NVDA?  I just tried type a. with speak typed characters on, and NVDA read "A dot" just as you expected.  I don't have Eloquence, but it worked the same with eSpeak and with Windows OneCore voices.

Occasionally you get random bugs (such as this) after installing or updating the software but before restarting the computer.  Restarting the computer shuts everything down and loads again from scratch so usually fixes up these random on-off issues.

Also double check that you have speak typed characters on as well :)

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hi Quentin,

I understood Martin that he discovers that with typed chars off and typed words on. And that can beconfirmed at my end, but it was the same under 2019.2.1

Cheers,

  Ralf

[...]

as I tryed to state, I want typed characters set to off! :-)

But still one has to get feedback on typed characters in word mode - they cannot be ignored, they have to be spoken as words then.

If someone wants spoken words feedback, it does not mean, that he does not care about which characters he typed ;-) ...as this smiley for example. I now did not hear if it was typed or not. I also do not get feedback about the "," and "." ...this is defenitely not how someone can write, even in speak-words mode.

I will restart the computer, but would be very surprised if that changes something ...

cheers

Martin

Am 12.02.2020 um 12:43 schrieb Quentin Christensen:

[...]

Hi again,

the reboot did not change anything - as expected.

@Ralf I had 2019.2 (do not know which one exactly) installed on this computer (and still have it on my notebook) and there it works as expected.

   when I get back home, I can look at the version of nvda where it worked last.

cheers

Martin

Am 12.02.2020 um 13:04 schrieb Ralf Kefferpuetz:

[...]

Hi Rui,

Are you talking when writing in a browser, in Skype and so on?

it does not matter where - right now I write in thunderbird, I also tryed firefox and Notebad.

It is a global behaviour

best,

[...]

Ok, then it is a different problem...

Rui Fontes

Às 12:52 de 12/02/2020, Martin Thomas Swaton escreveu:

Hi Rui,

[...]

a.aa a.a.

[...]

Hello,

as anounced I looked up the version of NVDA where it last worked correctly:

nvda v2019.2.1 gives the feedback as expected.

a "." is spoken emedeately. Other "words" are spoken on space or at the keypress of such special characters.

In V2019.3.1 special characters still trigger speaking of words, but are not spoken themselves.

This should be fixed as soon as possible as typing in word mode is no longer manageable.

cheers

Martin

Am 12.02.2020 um 13:50 schrieb Martin Thomas Swaton:

[...]

Martin,

I just checked it again with 2019.2.1. I have the same symptoms there as you describe in 2019.3.1

Please do me a favour and go to your 2019.2.1 installation and press NVDA-Q and restart NVDA with addons disabled and give it a try. If you then see the misbehaviour you got an addon loaded under 2019.2.1 which does what you want.

Regards,

  Ralf

[...]

Gene

I would imagine there is a setting to change this behavior but it is another example of a very poor choice for the default being chosen.  Are such choices reviewed by a panel of users or perhaps sent to a list like this?  How are such choices made?  At times defaults are chosen that I consider very poor.

Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 5:00 AM

[...]

I don't know how special characters were handled previously, I don't use them.  But the suggestion sounds like a very good one.

Aside from that, I think that how certain default behaviors are reached would be a good topic for discussion.  At times, I think it would be a good idea to place certain proposed behaviors before a panel of users or on a list like this as advisory.

Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 6:41 AM

[...]

Ralf,

of course you are right.

I disabled the addons and checked it again.

Found out, that there is "symbol notifications" (Symbol Mitteilungen) installed.

this one is not compatible with 2019.3.1 which causes the strange behaviur ...

still - I think this makes no sense and should be fixed in nvda itselve, because the punctuation and other non alphabetical characters have to be read as words in word mode - rather than be ignored silently.

Will check if the addon has a new version / if I can change it to py3 syntax if not. - But guess there where more changes in the api...

best regards,

Martin

Am 12.02.2020 um 16:06 schrieb Ralf Kefferpuetz:

[...]

...for anyone facing the same issue, the author already updated the addon for 2019.3.1 ...here we go:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/reportSymbols.en.html

thanks for this really important addon and the great work

and thanks to all of you for the quick answers and your help!

cheers

Martin