Topics

Speech crackling/breaking up in latest NVDA

Sharni-Lee Ward

So I just finally decided to brave the Python 3 hurdle, and updated from 2019.2.1 to 2020.2. I've updated the addons I could and wanted to keep, and they're both working fine.

I am, however, having an odd little issue with the synth's speech. I'm using ESpeak NG, and the latest NVDA. I'm on Windows 10.

My issue is that occasionally, most often at the ends of sentences and on the word image in the context of that being an object, the speech will break up slightly, for a brief but noticeable fraction of a second. It happens irregularly, and I don't know what to do to fix it. I asked on a Discord server I'm a member of, and someone there told me to switch audio output from Microsoft Sound Mapper to my speakers/headphones. I did this, but it hasn't helped.

I've also noticed a slight but noticeable lag when deleting characters, and in single-letter navigation. In the latter, It takes most of a second before NVDA announces the item the cursor has moved to after the letter was pressed.

Any help regarding these issues would be sincerely appreciated.

Curtis Delzer

download silencio,

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 8/5/2020 9:49 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
[...]

Tyler Spivey

This is a known problem in my circle across synths.
I suspect this is due to speech refactor. Regardless, it would be
helpful if you could get a sentence or something where this occurs,
then report an issue if you can get it to happen reliably. This is the
hard part.
eSpeak is one of the core drivers, so NV Access might consider the issue
as worth looking into if reported against that.

[...]

I don't want my speech silenced!

On 6/08/2020 2:58 pm, Curtis Delzer wrote:
[...]

Just checked the addons page and didn't see it there. I still don't like the sound of an addon with that name.

On 6/08/2020 3:30 pm, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
[...]

Jackie

Sharni-Lee, this often happens in Windows 10 in conjunction w/a
Realtech audio driver. Specifically, it happens when enhancements are
enabled.

Try going to control panel > sound, then down arrow till you hear your
playback device announced. It might sound similar to:
Speakers; Realtek(R) Audio;
Press alt p for properties.
Control tab till you hear "spatial sound" announced.
At this point you should be in a dropdown list which you can use your
up & down arrow keys to navigate.
Arrow to 'off', then tab to ok & activate. Press ok as many times as
required to exit the dialog.

Please let us know if this helps.

On 8/5/20, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@...> wrote:
[...]

It was already set to off. What do I do in this case?

On 6/08/2020 3:52 pm, Jackie wrote:
[...]

Gene

Silenzio doesn't silence speech. It solves a problem where the sound card times out after it isn't doing anything for a short time. When you do something that causes speech to occur again, there is a pause before it starts because the sound card has stopped working. Silenzio sends inaudible audio signals to the sound card to stop it from timing out. That doesn't sound like your problem because, according to your description, your problem occurs while speech is occuring.

[...]

Also be certain that the device drivers for your sound device(s) are completely up to date.  I see more complaints coming across the general purpose Windows 10 technical support groups about pops, cracks, and other audio irregularities that I ever have with any prior version of Windows.   It can almost always be traced back to the drivers, whether that's because the ones installed are old and from the OEM (whether of your computer or sound card), or are newer but Microsoft issued generic ones where the latest OEM drivers are really needed.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

Sean

Unfortunately, the old stability disappeared with the move to Python3.

I have an Issue about this. But the NVDA team said this would be a difficult / complex process.
Nothing can be done right now.

1. https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/11061
2. https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/10971

--

Sean

👨‍🦯 I’m programmer. I coding often Python, sometimes Go and rarely C++.

Hi,

Part of these have to do with speech refactor. Python 3.7 did contribute somewhat, but we’re basically talking about multiple changes at once. At the moment NV Access folks are working hard on improving performance and fixing outstanding Office usability bugs.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 12:31 PM, Sean wrote:
Unfortunately, the old stability disappeared with the move to Python3
-
'Twas ever thus, and ever shall be.   When tectonic shifts occur, there are virtually always "teething pains," and those pains do get fixed, but some take longer to get there than others.

In the world of computing, you cannot hang on to old technology for very long and continue to have something that's really functional.  Particularly when major updates to a programming language are involved and really cannot be avoided.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

Sean

Hey hey, I'm a software developer too.
There is nothing wrong here.

On 06/08/2020 19:39, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 12:31 PM, Sean wrote:
Unfortunately, the old stability disappeared with the move to Python3
-
'Twas ever thus, and ever shall be.   When tectonic shifts occur, there are virtually always "teething pains," and those pains do get fixed, but some take longer to get there than others.

In the world of computing, you cannot hang on to old technology for very long and continue to have something that's really functional.  Particularly when major updates to a programming language are involved and really cannot be avoided.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

--

Sean

👨‍🦯 I’m programmer. I coding often Python, sometimes Go and rarely C++.

Curtis Delzer

correct Gene, I missed that. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

-----Original Message----- From: Jackie
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2020 12:52 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
[...]

I don't know how to check this or how to update the driver without assistance. If I mess something up and lose sound, I will have far bigger problems than this. And will also be down a computer. Which would be bad.

On 7/08/2020 2:12 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
Also be certain that the device drivers for your sound device(s) are completely up to date.  I see more complaints coming across the general purpose Windows 10 technical support groups about pops, cracks, and other audio irregularities that I ever have with any prior version of Windows.   It can almost always be traced back to the drivers, whether that's because the ones installed are old and from the OEM (whether of your computer or sound card), or are newer but Microsoft issued generic ones where the latest OEM drivers are really needed.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

Gene

Which is a good example of why people should have an extra USB sound card or UsB headphones or speakers. If you lose sound on your main sound card for some reason, and you don't have one of these things, you may be in trouble without sighted help.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 05:24 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
I don't know how to check this or how to update the driver without assistance.
-
Which I'm happy to provide, but more information is necessary.  As a starting point, what is the make and model of your computer?

          ~ Oscar Wilde

Sharni-Lee Ward

Would it be better for me to roll back my NVDA then? Or should I stick this out and hope improvements come along eventually? I can assure you I didn't have this problem before I updated, but I was concerned the minor accessibility issues I was having might be due to my having an outdated version of NVDA on my system.

On 7/08/2020 2:36 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

It’s up to you, but at this time, I advise not going to anything earlier than 2019.3.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

The make is Asus and I don't know off the top of my head what the model is. I do know I have Realtec drivers, and that they were responsible for the internal mike on my laptop being as godawful as it is, but I couldn't find the enhancements for that. My USB mike is far superior so I don't care about it any more.

It should be noted that this never happens with audio from other sources.