speech delay

Brian Williams

I have heard of the following problem with speech programs before but can’t remember the solution. Using my laptop, if I stop using the keyboard for several seconds there is a delay when I start typing again. I get the same problem using NVDA or Narrator. Is there a setting within the Screenreader or is it a setting on the computer?

You will probably find both of these suggestions solve the problem.
Here is the link to Silenzio.
http://www.stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=112
Thanks so much to Piotr Machacz who let me know about an enterprising developer who wrote a little application to get around the problem. It’s called Silenzio and has been written by Stefan Kiss. This little app can be set to load at start-up and sends blank audio to your audio device. This keeps the device awake, and your screen reader will respond as you need it to.
You’ll find an icon in the system tray, allowing you to tell the app which audio device to send the blank audio to. It will use your Windows default device by default.
Play some audio
If you have the ability, record a few seconds of silence in a sound editor and play it on repeat in the background.

The above is an excerpt from a long podcast transcript of a Jonathan Mosen podcast.  If you want to find the full transcript and podcast, do an Internet search for sounds funny mosen

Gene

On 8/18/2022 6:42 AM, Brian Williams wrote:

I have heard of the following problem with speech programs before but can’t remember the solution. Using my laptop, if I stop using the keyboard for several seconds there is a delay when I start typing again. I get the same problem using NVDA or Narrator. Is there a setting within the Screenreader or is it a setting on the computer?

Brian

Brian Williams

Hi Gene, thanks for the tips. Installed the app, works brilliantly. Many thanks

Brian

[...]

Steve Nutt

There is a setting in JAWS, but if you have NVDA, you need an app called Silenzio, which will solve the problem.

All the best

Steve