Topics

Speech Dictionaries: Changing How Superscripted Tex Is Read

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

In reading mathematic content, I am not a fan of NVDA, with reporting
of subscripts and superscripts enabled, reading something like
area=pi*r superscript 2 baseline as opposed to just area=pi*r raised
to 2 or area=pi*r square. Superscript and baseline are large words
themselves and make it difficult to catch the number squeezed in
between but which is the exponent I actually care about. Is there some
way of using regular expressions in NVDA's speech dictionaries to make
all superscripted text to be read not as superscript {text} baseline
but as raised to {text} power? For now, since the words superscript
and baseline are not too common, I am considering just making
corresponding replacements for them in the Speech Dictionaries.
However, if there is a better method, I would love to know.

I would truly appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Have you looked at and installed either the Access8Math and/or Lambda Add-On (if you're using braille) and/or MathPlayer?

There is really no reasonable way that I know of to do what you want unless the content is created in MathML or similar or identifed as "being math" so that one of the previously mentioned add-ons can read the content as such.  It's been quite a while since I had to deal with mathematics and a screen reader, and I'm sure other members will be able to offer more focused instructions.

Subscripting and superscripting is just too common otherwise to presume its presence is necessarily mathematical notation.

          ~ Oscar Wilde