Topics

Spellchecking with NVDA

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

First, regarding the focus problems I was having, things seem to have improved since installing the newest NVDA. Thanks for your input.

Here’s my next question: Back in the Window-Eyes days one could spellcheck documents with WE. Pressing the alt-. and alt-, would move between mis-spelled words. Is it possible to do this with NVDA, particularly with Word documents?

Thanks,

Janet

Vaibhav Saraf

If I get you correct then Alt will only toggle you between the document and the ribbon in MS Word. Try using F7 for a quick spell check.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 23:33, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Hello all,

First, regarding the focus problems I was having, things seem to have improved since installing the newest NVDA. Thanks for your input.

Here’s my next question: Back in the Window-Eyes days one could spellcheck documents with WE. Pressing the alt-. and alt-, would move between mis-spelled words. Is it possible to do this with NVDA, particularly with Word documents?

Thanks,

Janet

Gene

It appears to me that Window-eyes had a feature that moved you, while in a document, from one word flagged as misspelled and another. F7 will, do mostly the same thing in the spell check dialog. As far as I know, and I would like to be wrong about this, in the spell check dialog, NVDA doesn't have a read word in Context feature. JAWS will read the word in the sentence where it appears if you issue the command to do so. It would be valuable if NVDA added this ability.

If I get you correct then Alt will only toggle you between the document and the ribbon in MS Word. Try using F7 for a quick spell check.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 23:33, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Hello all,

First, regarding the focus problems I was having, things seem to have improved since installing the newest NVDA. Thanks for your input.

Here’s my next question: Back in the Window-Eyes days one could spellcheck documents with WE. Pressing the alt-. and alt-, would move between mis-spelled words. Is it possible to do this with NVDA, particularly with Word documents?

Thanks,

Janet

Hi,
The answer Janet is looking for is "W" command in browse mode inside Word.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Thanks. I'll try that.

Janet

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Also re spell check and reading the word in context - it depends on the version of Word.  In Office 2016 from memory, the easiest way to read the current word in context was to press escape - which, since F7 took you to the next spelling error, and escape then closed it taking you back to the document at that point, it would take you to the spelling error.  In Office 365, it does not read the misspelt word in context when you open spell check (actually now spell check opens a summary with the number of errors - I'm not sure if there is a setting to toggle that?  I can't see one).

Another option for spell check in Word is you can press alt+f7 which doesn't use a spelling pane, but instead jumps to the next error and opens the context menu to the first suggestion.  It only reads the misspelt word, not the context, and if you want to read the context, you'll need to press alt to close the menu and read it.  It's the same as moving to the misspelt word in the text, pressing the applications key to open the context menu which automatically goes to spelling.

Quentin.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 6:40 AM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks. I'll try that.