From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, June 9, 2022 3:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Spelling / grammar checkers - I found one!

Hi everyone,

Turning on my PC this morning, I got a suggestion from Microsoft to install their "Editor" plug-in.  These suggestions come up now and then and I usually ignore them, but since it looked to be the kind of thing we've been talking about recently, I was intrigued.

I can confirm it does work!  Essentially, it's a bit like grammarly - when you are typing in an edit field on the web (I used the Edge plugin but there is a Chrome one as well which I assume should work too, since both browsers are based on Chromium), it puts a red underline for spelling errors and a blue one for grammar - not dissimilar to Word.  NVDA doesn't buzz at you for an error, but when navigating it tells you that you have an error on that line, and reads it when you get to it.

You can find it at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/microsoft-365/microsoft-editor

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Hmmm well chrome does have one checking via google spelling dictionaries so I don't need it but good find quentin.

And its a microsoft app to so well we know it works.

On 10/06/2022 10:25 am, Quentin Christensen wrote:
[...]

Is there something similar for Firefox? I know Firefox has a built-in spellchecker but it does not offer correction suggestions unlike in things like Microsoft Word.

Gene

Are you talking about the flag words as you type?  That feature says misspelled when you come to a misspelled word you have written.  This works the same way as the feature does in every program I've used that has it.  When you are on the word, open the context menu.  You will see suggestions by down arrowing.  Press enter on the suggestion you want to replace what is in the document.  The menu closes and the word is replaced.

Gene

On 6/10/2022 2:54 AM, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
Is there something similar for Firefox? I know Firefox has a built-in spellchecker but it does not offer correction suggestions unlike in things like Microsoft Word.

Christo Vorster

Hi Quentin

On a lighter note. That plugin you talk about sounds fantastic, but can you imagine the trouble I’ll have when writing in Afrikaans.

Regards

Christo Vorster (Worcester South Africa)

[...]

I think so yes. Is this already part of Firefox somehow? Cause when I pressed the application key with the misspelled word highlighted I don't see any menu items that lists suggestions.

Sarah k Alawami

Chrome has a spelling checker, however no grammar checker. Plus you have to hit alt down arrow for the word checker to give you only 1 correction which sucks. It is usable, yes, a bit of a PITA when you hear “3 errors on this line” and you cannot  see what they are until you pass over them and have to hit alt down arrow.

[...]

Edited

Don't use alt down arrow. When you are on the word, open the context menu and down arrow.  You will see many suggestions if the misspelled word is one where the spell checker believes they are useful.

Gene

On 6/10/2022 9:35 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

No, in the grammar checker for word,  you must use alt down arrow to see the suggestions per the hint that is given.  But per the regular spell checker yews contextual menu is correct.

Don't use alt down arrow. When you are on the word, open the context and down arrow.  You will see many suggestions if the misspelled word is one where the spell checker believes they are useful.

[...]

You were talking about Chrome.  And I'm not talking about running an f7 spell checker.  I'm talking about the flag words in the text function of Chrome.

Gene

On 6/10/2022 11:47 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Ther is a grammar checker for chrome that is an extension. It si written by microsoft. It is the same one used by word, that is the one of which we are speaking. This is not the native google spelling checker that ships with the chromium browser.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

On 10 Jun 2022, at 9:51, Gene wrote:

[...]

I recall that yesterday, an add-on was discussed at the outset.  My messages were about the spell check in Chrome itself since I believe it will do what the person wants.  Since you were talking about the add-on, which I haven't used, I can't discuss that.

Gene

On 6/10/2022 4:09 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

I should say that someone was asking about Firefox and I discussed the spell checker in Firefox, which is the same or very similar to the spell checker used in other browsers.  I hadn't realized you were talking about the add-on.  I may play with it.  Is it the one Quentin wrote about yesterday?  It is a Microsoft add-on and he began the thread and gave a link to download it.

If you don't recall his message, I can send it to you.

Gene

On 6/10/2022 4:53 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Sure is. I use it. Give it a play in FF and see if NVDA reads out the stuff it needs to read out. It should, assuming it works in FF. I’m still learning btw.

[...]

William

Thanks for the sharing.

After installing the addon, I try to open web version of outlook, and input the following text into the email body

'''

Helo worlld.

'''

But I did not hear nvda reporting spelling error.

Quentin Christensen 於 10/6/2022 06:25 寫道:

[...]

You will hear “has 3 mistakes on one line, you need to cursor through the line and hit alt down arrow to get presented with the list of one word.

After installing the addon, I try to open web version of outlook, and input the following text into the email body

'''

Helo worlld.

'''

But I did not hear nvda reporting spelling error.

Quentin Christensen 10/6/2022 06:25 寫道:

[...]

farhan israk

Is this Microsoft editor free or do I have to pay for it?

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 9:42 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

[...]

It's a free plug-in for Chrome or Edge: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/microsoft-365/microsoft-editor?activetab=tabs%3afaqheaderregion3

You probably need to log in to a Microsoft Account (also free, but I know not everyone wants to) - I must admit I already would have been logged in so I'm not sure.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 4:29 AM farhan israk <fahim.net.2014@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you. My primary word processor is google docs. I have added the extension to google chrome. Do I need to do anything else?