Status Bars and NVDA

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I am using NVDA 2021.3 Beta 2 on a Windows 10 machine. To my
knowledge, back in the day at least, I thought status bars were
incredibly common and present in most applications. I had a bunch of
programs open and decided to issue the read status bar command
(NVDA+Shift+End on a laptop) to see what happened. The results are
below:
* Wordpad: "No status line found"
* Windows Explorer: "No status line found"
* Stata: "j"
* Microsoft Edge: "No status line found"
* Word for Microsoft 365: "Status Bar Page Number Page 2 of 32 Word
Count 2728 words Spelling and Grammar Check Errors Text Predictions
Text Predictions: On Accessibility Checker Accessibility: Investigate
Focus Read Mode Print Layout Web Layout Zoom Out Zoom 160 Zoom In
Zoom 160%" after a 2.5 second delay
* Wordweb: "wordweb.info"

In this experiment, most programs gave no valuable information. In the
one program that did have a meaningful status bar, NVDA took a solid
2.5 seconds to read it. Are status bars truly becoming obsolete? Or
does this hint at an issue in NVDA's read status bar command?

I would appreciate any thoughts and inputs.

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024

Quentin Christensen

Hi Bhavya,

The issue is partly in NVDA's handling of status bars in some applications.  There are several issues on it, but this one I think at least references most of the other issues: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6769

Now that a couple of other issues which were blocking it have been resolved, it might be possible to resolve this, but I'm not sure where work on it is at.

Quentin.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 9:42 PM Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
[...]

Training and Support Manager

Christo de Klerk

In some cases, Like File Explorer, status lines are there, but NVDA just does not read them. Rui Fontes developed an handy addon that reads most status lines, but I believe this functionality should form part of the NVDA core. A long time ago I wrote about this, but NVDA developers did not seem particularly interested in this issue. One of them even wrote that one could get at the information in the status line by pressing the review cursor key to jump to the bottom line and then pressing the key to read that line. Sure, that can be done, but it would just be more convenient to have a key which is supposed to read status lines to work correctly. Rui's addon shows that it is not a major undertaking to achieve that.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2021/11/22 12:42pm, Bhavya shah wrote:
[...]

Monte Single

Hello Bhavya,

I am using win10 21h2 With n vda 2021.2 and office 2016 and current chrome.
I use nvda key+end to read status line.
In chrome I have no result.
In m s outlook, in the message list, I get total number of messages and number of unread messages.
In m s word I get page number, word count, etc..
In wordpad I get nothing.

Cheers,

Mont

[...]

Gerardo Corripio

What's the download link for the Addon mentioned? I'd like to try it. I Hoping it'd work in filesilla, File Explorer, among others.

Gera

El 22 nov 2021, a la(s) 5:24 a.m., Christo de Klerk <christodeklerk@...> escribió:

[...]

Look for it on nvda-addons.org. It works well in File Explorer, but I am not using FileZilla, so I don't know if it works in that program.

Regards

Christo

On 2021/11/22 06:07pm, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
[...]

Any tips, at least a name? I'm now within the addons page, within development addons, moving with headings, but I don't see nyding anything that says something about reading status bars. I got into the beforementioned page, from within the Addon Manager "Get addons".

Gera

El 22 nov 2021, a la(s) 10:33 a.m., Christo de Klerk <christodeklerk@...> escribió:

[...]

Look for ZExplorer. Its description is "Add status bar reading". If you don't find it there, write and ask the author at:

Regards

Christo

On 2021/11/22 06:54pm, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
[...]

What might I be missing? I can’t find it on the site. Might it be with a different name in Spanish? I’m writing the developper just in case it might not be there yet?

Enviado desde Correo para Windows

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 01:26 PM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
What might I be missing? I can’t find it on the site.
-
Gera,

Probably nothing, as I've also searched the proverbial nine ways to Sunday and come up with nothing at https://nvda-addons.org/.

I've tried status, status bar, zexplorer, "rui fontes" and just rui and just fontes in the "Name or summary contains" search edit box.

By the way, please don't split topics by changing the subject line when the reply is still about an ongoing subject.  It makes the archive far messier.  I've merged your "still can't find" message back in with the primary topic.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

For many years, the trend has been to eliminate status bars in more programs to leave more room for conten or for other functions in the window.

I’m not saying that there are no programs with status bars higher on the screen so NVDA isn’t aware of them but the trend you are talking about means that fewer programs have status lines.

Sent: Monday, November 22, 2021 4:42 AM
To: nvda

[...]

I use an older version of FileZilla and NVDA can see the status line but I find the information of no value.  I get information clearly and much more concisely by actually reading the line that provides information such as the time elapsed, remaining time, and the speed of the download.

Sent: Monday, November 22, 2021 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Status Bars and NVDA

El 22 nov 2021, a la(s) 5:24 a.m., Christo de Klerk mailto:christodeklerk@... escribió:

[...]

Rui Fontes

The error is not yours...

It is not in the oficial repository of add-ons...

You can get it from:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqin9vni5bpwvpr/ZExplorer_1.0_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=0

It does not work in latest Alphas...and do not work in Windows 11...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 18:25 de 22/11/2021, Gerardo Corripio escreveu:

[...]

I wonder what changed technically between Windows 7 and10.  The status bar is read in Windows 7.  I hope the add-on is submitted for approval as an official NVDA add-on.

There are times when it is important to see the status line in Windows Explorer.  When I select a number of files to copy to the clipboard for copying, I read the status line before I copy them.  It tells me the number of selected items, which verifies that I have selected the number I intended.

El 22 nov 2021, a la(s) 10:33 a.m., Christo de Klerk mailto:christodeklerk@... escribió:

[...]

Thanks for sharing! It’s installed, but I don’t see any keystroke to get it working. For instance I was in Windows Explorer, selected two files, pressed NVDA+Shift+End, but I didn’t see any difference. What should it read?

[...]

Martin J. Dürst

I agree with Gene. In addition to his points, status bars don't work well on mobile phones, and so applications available for both PC and mobile phones tend to not have status bars.

Regards, Martin.

On 2021-11-23 04:10, Gene via groups.io wrote:
[...]
Prof. Dr.sc. Martin J. Dürst
Department of Intelligent Information Technology
College of Science and Engineering
Aoyama Gakuin University
Fuchinobe 5-1-10, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara
252-5258 Japan