Topics

Stop NVDA from automatically reading media on webpages

Justin Harford

Hello

I'm not sure the subject line accurately describes my issue, but it seems like there are webpages today that have content that automatically refreshes and changes. \unitone \left(  \r2\mathbb{\usepckage{times 9 it appears to be used for advertising or promoting a website's publications.   NVDA }}i\aght) automatically reads this content, and it often interrupts my reading of the articles themselves. Here is an example of a webpage: https://www.lovefood.com/recipes/60477/denis-cotters-black-bean-soup-with-chocolate-and-chillies

As I tried to read the recipe, the screenreader is also reading some sort of a flash object that is promoting other articles. Is there a way to stop this? It seems like either I should be able to stop the screenreader from announcing this, or I should be able to stop Google Chrome from displaying it. I have used ad blockers in the past, but it seems like many webpages now will not allow you to access their resources if you are using an ad blocker, so I wonder if there is some other tool that I could use.

Regards
Justin
Justin Harford (he/him/his)
Program Coordinator (NCDE)
Mobility International USA (MIUSA)
132 E Broadway Suite 343
Eugene OR 97401
541-343-1284 (voice)
jharford@... (email)

Tyler Spivey

NV Access doesn't seem interested in fixing this.
In the meantime, I've written an addon which will do the best it can
given how NVDA works to let you do this.

The limitations are that it'll disable live regions, but it'll also
disable the API while turned on. So things like TW Blue, etc won't work.

Here's how to use it. Install the addon, then bind a gesture to it in
the editor.
I use NVDA+print screen. While turned on, that page reads fine.

Download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ty5w5sgagjtyyuk/disableHelper-0.1.nvda-addon?dl=1

On 6/5/2020 9:25 AM, Justin Harford wrote:
[...]

jharford@... <mailto:jharford@...> (email)

Sarah k Alawami

Try brave. This might help as it I think strips out the adds but still gives you full access to the article.

Take care

On 5 Jun 2020, at 9:25, Justin Harford wrote:

[...]

JM Casey

I sometimes use “reader view” in Firefox. It helps a lot. I *think8 chrome has something similar built in, though it might not be as easy to get to – if it doesn’t, there are definitely extensions you can try for it. If you find yourself on a page where there is annoying “dynamic” content getting in the way of your experience, activate reader mode, and it does its best to strip away a lot of this content. When you’re done, leave reader view and return to normal interactions. It usually works pretty well, though there may be instances where you lose a bit of valuable content too – that hasn’t actually happened to me often.

In Firefox, I just press f9 to activate this mode. It’s also on the toolbar.

[...]

In Chrome, Reader View is an Add-On at this time.

Personally I use an ad-blocker in every browser I use except Brave, which does ad-blocking as part of its functionality.  If I have a site that refuses to let me in when the web browser is active, I either disable it for the page I'm trying to get at or the site itself, and that's only if its a site I know I have reason to use repeatedly.  Otherwise I simply take the site off of my list of sites I'll use.  As far as I'm concerned, no site has the right to dictate to me whether or not I can use an ad blocker.  If web ads were as innocuous as print ads are (to the sighted) where you can just jump right over them that would be one thing, but they're not.  They blink, scroll, flash, and sometimes even have sound associated with them.  They make using the web sheer hell for a great many, and I don't want to have to deal with them.

Websites have every right to include ad content, but they have no right to make me view it.

Brian Crabtree

I don't know if this will always do what you want, but Microsoft Edge has "Immersive Reader" mode, which strips extraneous stuff from many websites and shows only the essential content.

The caveat is that not all websites allow you to use the reader at present, although this may change - there is a change request in for that to be implemented.

The old Edge has a shortcut of Ctrl plus Shift plus R to toggle reader mode.

The new Chrome based Edge uses F 9.

Gene

This solution might not be as good as one or two others offered, but you may find it useful.

That's an interesting question. It may be what is known as a live region. As far as I know, NVDA doesn't support not automatically reading live regions. I don't know about other screen-readers, But in such a case, I would suggest the following if you only want to rread content.
Select the entire page with control a and paste it to the clipboard. Open Notepad and paste it. Then look for the beginning of the article, if your screen-reader doesn't allow you to stop automatic reading of live regions.

[...]

Thank you everybody for the suggestions. I will give reader mode and add blockers a try.

Kind regards

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 8:31 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

hello. i wish to know
whether
Report dynamic content changes in nvda preferences, object presentaition,
can resolve your issue? and prevent nvda from reading live regions and
flash contents?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens