Topics

sudden changes to Hulu's website

Ame

Hi all!  I have a Hulu live tv subscription and, until Thursday, I was able to log in on my pc and access all the content they offer.  Thursday afternoon, I signed in and went to the search page.  The edit box was gone and so were buttons like recent searches, clear search history… things like that.  The only thing I see on that page is the main page links.  You see these on all pages but there is specific content for each page that doesn’t appear.  Same thing is true of the My Stuff page.  There are no headings with the things I’ve put there; just the links every page has on it.  I’m so confused.  I tried to talk with Hulu’s support team and they’re just flummoxed.  They can’t figure it out.  It gets even more confusing when I tell them I use a screen reader.  Does anybody else know what I’m talking about?  Do you think there have been changes to the site that are causing this problem?  As I said in the beginning, this happened all of a sudden.  I’d been able to access all my content that morning.   Thanks so much.

If this is done via the web, and I have to presume it is, clear your browser's cache, exit the browser, and start it and try again.

A web search on your chosen browser's name with "clear cache" will turn up hundreds to thousands of step-by-step instruction sets.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind.

~ Thomas Reed Powell

Ame

I’m using the web and I’ve done all the stuff you suggested.  The phone rep took me through 15 million things to do an none worked.  I’m on the computer chatting with an agent now and he gave me a link for screen reader feedback.  I thought about uninstalling and reinstalling nvda.

Gene

In a case like this, that should be one of the first things to try. I hope it works if you try it.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2020 7:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] sudden changes to Hulu's website

I’m using the web and I’ve done all the stuff you suggested. The phone rep took me through 15 million things to do an none worked. I’m on the computer chatting with an agent now and he gave me a link for screen reader feedback. I thought about uninstalling and reinstalling nvda.

This is another of the classic situations where eliminating possible issues is the only way to go.

If you typically use one browser, then use another.  Is the (mis)behavior the same?   Yes, then suspect the screen reader next. No, suspect something's gone south with your favorite screen reader.

Uninstall and reinstall of "the most likely culprit" after some process of elimination has taken place is the next step.  If that doesn't fix the issue, suspect something could be wrong with something with the webpage itself.  You cannot rule out that the web page designers at Hulu might not have done something entirely bone-headed.  It's been known to happen.

If you happen to have convenient sighted assistance that's been around when you've used the site in the past (and a screen has been there for them to see, even in passing) it's worth asking whether there is any immediately noticeable change.  If something's really obviously changed . . .
--

If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind.

~ Thomas Reed Powell

Gaylen Kapperman

Something similar happened with the Netflix site here in the U.S. One day it was working just fine and then, suddenly, the edit field for searching for a movie disappeared.  I complained and talked directly to one of the individuals who answers questions about the service. It took more than a week, but eventualy the problem was fixed and the edit field suddenly re-appeared one day.

Gaylen Kapperman

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel via groups.io
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2020 8:23 PM

This is another of the classic situations where eliminating possible issues is the only way to go.

If you typically use one browser, then use another.  Is the (mis)behavior the same?   Yes, then suspect the screen reader next. No, suspect something's gone south with your favorite screen reader.

Uninstall and reinstall of "the most likely culprit" after some process of elimination has taken place is the next step.  If that doesn't fix the issue, suspect something could be wrong with something with the webpage itself.  You cannot rule out that the web page designers at Hulu might not have done something entirely bone-headed.  It's been known to happen.

If you happen to have convenient sighted assistance that's been around when you've used the site in the past (and a screen has been there for them to see, even in passing) it's worth asking whether there is any immediately noticeable change.  If something's really obviously changed . . .
--

~ Thomas Reed Powell

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 09:33 PM, Gaylen Kapperman wrote:
One day it was working just fine and then, suddenly, the edit field for searching for a movie disappeared.
-
QED of the bone-headed change.  Thank heaven they're relatively infrequent.

--

~ Thomas Reed Powell

Guy Schlosser

Hi there. I have a couple questions. Is your window maximized? Also, what browser are you using? Things do not seem to work as well any more in Internet explorer, since it is deprecated. If you can, try Hulu in Firefox, or Chrome.

On Dec 7, 2020, at 6:04 PM, Ame <abk043@...> wrote:

Hi all!  I have a Hulu live tv subscription and, until Thursday, I was able to log in on my pc and access all the content they offer.  Thursday afternoon, I signed in and went to the search page.  The edit box was gone and so were buttons like recent searches, clear search history… things like that.  The only thing I see on that page is the main page links.  You see these on all pages but there is specific content for each page that doesn’t appear.  Same thing is true of the My Stuff page.  There are no headings with the things I’ve put there; just the links every page has on it.  I’m so confused.  I tried to talk with Hulu’s support team and they’re just flummoxed.  They can’t figure it out.  It gets even more confusing when I tell them I use a screen reader.  Does anybody else know what I’m talking about?  Do you think there have been changes to the site that are causing this problem?  As I said in the beginning, this happened all of a sudden.  I’d been able to access all my content that morning.   Thanks so much.

Arlene

Hi, I’m not American. You are right Internet explorer is not supported by many sites. Drop box doesn’t use it. I would try uloo with Chrome or fire fox or edge. I don’t use Internet Explorer for that reason!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: December 7, 2020 7:28 PM

Hi there. I have a couple questions. Is your window maximized? Also, what browser are you using? Things do not seem to work as well any more in Internet explorer, since it is deprecated. If you can, try Hulu in Firefox, or Chrome.

On Dec 7, 2020, at 6:04 PM, Ame <abk043@...> wrote:

Ame

Hi Guy!  Yeah, I make sure the window’s maximized and I use Chrome.  The puzzling thing is, until Thursday afternoon, I had access to all the content I pay for.  All of a sudden, all I see is the global navigation stuff you find on all the pages.  Under that, I see an unlabeled button that you click on to either expand or collapse the little area where you can switch profiles, turn night mode on or off, get into your account, etc.  Under that little button, I see the global navigation stuff you find at the bottom.  About, jobs, about ads, help, all that stuff.  I chatted with a Hulu agent who made some suggestion.  I’m thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling NVDA.  If that doesn’t work, I think I’ll call the Microsoft Disability Answer desk and have them see if my Chrome is updated.  I just think this whole thing is very strange.  The change was very sudden and I never did a thing to create the problem.  Lol  I’m gonna do my best to see that this thing doesn’t outdo me.

Ame

I sure do hope that happens for me Gaylen because this is driving me bonkers.  Incidentally, I’m in the US also.  Thanks for the heads up.  I guess I’ll try some of the stuff the hulu agent suggested in last night’s chat session and if that doesn’t work I’ll just try to hang tough and see what Hulu does.  It’s just messed up that this happened so suddenly.  Weird! Lol

Ame

I do have sighted help but not because I live with someone.  I rely pretty heavily on the Microsoft disability answer desk when I face issues like this.  Ironically, they didn’t see those things on my screen on the site but the Hulu agent tried to see if it did it on his end and it didn’t.  He was able to see all available content.  I just don’t get it.  I think the first course of action will most likely be reaching out to the disability answer desk to see if my Chrome’s up to date or not and then I’ll go from there.  It’ll be a real blessing if that’s what caused it.

Gaylen Kapperman

Yeah….I understand your feelings about this…when you like a site and the entertainment and everything works just fine and then suddenly, it stops working, it really is disappointing. Good luck in getting this fixed.

Gaylen

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ame via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 1:55 PM

I sure do hope that happens for me Gaylen because this is driving me bonkers.  Incidentally, I’m in the US also.  Thanks for the heads up.  I guess I’ll try some of the stuff the hulu agent suggested in last night’s chat session and if that doesn’t work I’ll just try to hang tough and see what Hulu does.  It’s just messed up that this happened so suddenly.  Weird! Lol

Guy Schlosser

It won’t out-do you. You’ve got this.

On Dec 8, 2020, at 2:47 PM, Ame <abk043@...> wrote:

Hi Guy!  Yeah, I make sure the window’s maximized and I use Chrome.  The puzzling thing is, until Thursday afternoon, I had access to all the content I pay for.  All of a sudden, all I see is the global navigation stuff you find on all the pages.  Under that, I see an unlabeled button that you click on to either expand or collapse the little area where you can switch profiles, turn night mode on or off, get into your account, etc.  Under that little button, I see the global navigation stuff you find at the bottom.  About, jobs, about ads, help, all that stuff.  I chatted with a Hulu agent who made some suggestion.  I’m thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling NVDA.  If that doesn’t work, I think I’ll call the Microsoft Disability Answer desk and have them see if my Chrome is updated.  I just think this whole thing is very strange.  The change was very sudden and I never did a thing to create the problem.  Lol  I’m gonna do my best to see that this thing doesn’t outdo me.

Guy Schlosser

Ame, I have some insight to the Hulu access. I use jaws, but with the virtual cursor on, I can confirm that what you’re seeing here is the same thing I am. However, if I turn the virtual cursor off, I am able to press enter on things like my stuff, TV shows, etc., and explore things within those menus.  The reason I thought to turn the virtual PC cursor off, is that Jaws is announcing these items as menus.  I hope this helps, and if there’s a way to do something similar in NVDA, you’ll get this.

On Dec 8, 2020, at 3:02 PM, Ame <abk043@...> wrote:

I do have sighted help but not because I live with someone.  I rely pretty heavily on the Microsoft disability answer desk when I face issues like this.  Ironically, they didn’t see those things on my screen on the site but the Hulu agent tried to see if it did it on his end and it didn’t.  He was able to see all available content.  I just don’t get it.  I think the first course of action will most likely be reaching out to the disability answer desk to see if my Chrome’s up to date or not and then I’ll go from there.  It’ll be a real blessing if that’s what caused it.

Ame

I had Jaws at one time but I had to drop it because it got way too expensive.  I’m gonna contact the accessibility people via the email the agent gave me because whatever change they made in their site effectively stops NVDA from letting me access the content I pay for.  I tried Firefox and it did the same thing.  Even the Microsoft disability answer desk agent saw it.  As long as my screen reader was enabled, he couldn’t type anything and it didn’t show content.  So, it’s obviously something they did.   I don’t think they realize it and it may be something as simple as a cosmetic change.  They just wanted to update their look.  I can use narrator but it’s clumsy.  Surely they’ll do something about this.  Thanks so much for all your help.  I’ll mention what you told me about having to alter the way you use Jaws.  Was yoursa sudden thing too?

Guy Schlosser

Yes it was. I would love to hear more about the resolution. You are welcome to email me off list, so we are not clogging the list up with this discussion.

On Dec 8, 2020, at 4:44 PM, Ame <abk043@...> wrote:

I had Jaws at one time but I had to drop it because it got way too expensive.  I’m gonna contact the accessibility people via the email the agent gave me because whatever change they made in their site effectively stops NVDA from letting me access the content I pay for.  I tried Firefox and it did the same thing.  Even the Microsoft disability answer desk agent saw it.  As long as my screen reader was enabled, he couldn’t type anything and it didn’t show content.  So, it’s obviously something they did.   I don’t think they realize it and it may be something as simple as a cosmetic change.  They just wanted to update their look.  I can use narrator but it’s clumsy.  Surely they’ll do something about this.  Thanks so much for all your help.  I’ll mention what you told me about having to alter the way you use Jaws.  Was yoursa sudden thing too?

George McCoy

What happens if you use Narrator?

On 12/8/2020 1:46 PM, Ame wrote:

Ame

I can manage with Narrator but the process is clumsy.  I just sent an email to the address the agent gave me and, if the changes they made caused this barrier between the site and NVDA, I suggested that maybe they offer that other version of the site as an accessibility option.  I’ve seen many a site (Amazon being one), that offered links for more screen reader friendly versions of their pages.

Well I reported issues with some software this morning and the devs told me that they were real bugs but no one had noticed them till now.

I've also been in places where people have reported issues and got recognition so yeah, there are bugs that are never noticed.

On 9/12/2020 10:42 am, Ame wrote: