From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Doug Lawlor via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 1, 2020 1:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Switching between 6 and 8 dot UEB: is this possible?

Hello all,

I want to switch between 6 and 8 dot Unified English Braille. Is this possible to do? I took a look at the table list in NVDA’S braille settings but can only find 6 dot tables for computer braille. I’m looking for literary braille.

Thanks in advance all,

Doug

Doug Lawlor

Well, this is interesting. Even though I have UEB enabled with both input and output tables i’m still seeing 8 dot braille. When i see something in all capitals, the letters are displayed with capital signs underneath them in the dot 7 position with a single dot 6 in front for a singgle capital letter and a double dot 6 for a word in all capitals. If UEB is only a 6 dot code, should I only see 6 dot braille? I’m really not sure what is going on here.

Hope to get more light shed on this.

Best,

Doug

Doug Lawlor

Hello all:
I finally figured this out! If you have the braille extender add-on installed you can press space bar + dots 4 + 7 + 8 to toggle dots 7 and 8 on and off. This is just what I was looking for! This was truly driving me nuts for reading literary braille. I’m using the Focus 40 fifth gen here so your mileage may very on other displays. This command can be found under the gadget commands section of Braille Extender's documentation.

Best,

Doug