Topics

table navigation issues

Sean Murphy

All,

I am seeking for examples where NVDA does not correctly navigate web tables. This is a project I am involved in at work. We are collecting good and bad examples of tables. So if you have any web pages with tables that NVDA does not work with. Please share.

Gene

I would think this isn't related to your project, but I see instances where things look like tables to sighted readers but are not, so a screen-reader can't read them in any sort of logical manner. How often this happens, I don't know and it may be to an extent the sites I happen to look at a good deal but it is nonetheless an accessibility issue to present something that looks like a table and isn't

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2020 2:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] table navigation issues

All,

I am seeking for examples where NVDA does not correctly navigate web tables. This is a project I am involved in at work. We are collecting good and bad examples of tables. So if you have any web pages with tables that NVDA does not work with. Please share.

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,

not sure it is what you're looking for, but anyway, using firefox,
tables in microsoft docs can't be browsed using table navigation, e.g.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.net.http.httpclient?view=netcore-3.1
for constructors properties, members, events, etc.
It did work properly on at least one other browser - i think it was internet explorer.

-- Patrick

Le 09/11/2020 à 09:25, Sean Murphy a écrit :
All,

Sean Randall

This works fine for me in Chrome and Firefox.
My only annoyance is that t for table puts me on the caption, so I cannot immediately use CTRL+alt+cursors to navigate by row or column.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Le Baudour
Sent: 09 November 2020 10:32
Subject: Re: [nvda] table navigation issues

Hi,

not sure it is what you're looking for, but anyway, using firefox, tables in microsoft docs can't be browsed using table navigation, e.g.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.net.http.httpclient?view=netcore-3.1
It did work properly on at least one other browser - i think it was internet explorer.

-- Patrick
Le 09/11/2020 à 09:25, Sean Murphy a écrit :
All,

I am seeking for examples where NVDA does not correctly navigate web
tables. This is a project I am involved in at work. We are collecting
good and bad examples of tables. So if you have any web pages with
tables that NVDA does not work with. Please share.

[Recycle trees] Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Confidentiality Notice
This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then remove it from your system.

Data Protection
We comply with data protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and take the security and privacy of personal data very seriously. If you no longer wish to receive emails from us please forward this email (so we can see who it was sent to you by) to dpo@ncw.co.uk<mailto:dpo@ncw.co.uk> with your request, and we will review our information in line with your wishes.

Disclaimer
Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses, New College Worcester accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.

Gene

It works properly here using Firefox. I had the same experience of t placing me on the title.

Gene

Sent: Monday, November 09, 2020 4:42 AM

My only annoyance is that t for table puts me on the caption, so I cannot immediately use CTRL+alt+cursors to navigate by row or column.

Hi,

not sure it is what you're looking for, but anyway, using firefox, tables in microsoft docs can't be browsed using table navigation, e.g.

-- Patrick
All,

[Recycle trees] Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Confidentiality Notice
This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then remove it from your system.

Data Protection
We comply with data protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and take the security and privacy of personal data very seriously. If you no longer wish to receive emails from us please forward this email (so we can see who it was sent to you by) to dpo@ncw.co.uk<mailto:dpo@ncw.co.uk> with your request, and we will review our information in line with your wishes.

Disclaimer
Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses, New College Worcester accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.

Gerry

I get a similar problem on a banking site. I use latest MS Edge and when I use T for table and then try to navigate the table using Cntrl+Alt plus cursor arrows, nvda says, not in a table cell. I then have to navigate along the rows rather than up and down the rows. It is annoying, but I can still get what I want.

Gerry

On 09/11/2020 10:42, Sean Randall wrote:

Hi,

-- Patrick
All,

Confidentiality Notice

Data Protection

Disclaimer

Sarah k Alawami

This might we web dev errors, but try the fs airlines site. You do need to be logoged in to see any of the tables but trust me, you cannot use your table keys.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 9 Nov 2020, at 0:55, Gene wrote:

I would think this isn't related to your project, but I see instances where things look like tables to sighted readers but are not, so a screen-reader can't read them in any sort of logical manner. How often this happens, I don't know and it may be to an extent the sites I happen to look at a good deal but it is nonetheless an accessibility issue to present something that looks like a table and isn't

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Sean Murphy

All,

Janet Brandly

Regarding material looking like tables but not actually being tables, I see
this a lot in email messages and sometimes in PDF documents.
Hope this helps,
Janet

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: November 9, 2020 1:56 AM

I would think this isn't related to your project, but I see instances where
things look like tables to sighted readers but are not, so a screen-reader
can't read them in any sort of logical manner. How often this happens, I
don't know and it may be to an extent the sites I happen to look at a good
deal but it is nonetheless an accessibility issue to present something that
looks like a table and isn't

Gene

All,

I am seeking for examples where NVDA does not correctly navigate web tables.

This is a project I am involved in at work. We are collecting good and bad
examples of tables. So if you have any web pages with tables that NVDA does
not work with. Please share.

Well I am on a food ordering service which I use.

The sight is really crankey and stupid.

On all brousers the edge etc the site will crash and windows will become unresponsive.

Even on chrome its really crashy.

On the tablet my dad uses its really slow so yeah, its the site being so slow when loading it literally times out what is acceptable and has a lot of other access niggles.

That being said the food and the company are good to work with and the food is good to eat but oh well.

On 9/11/2020 11:56 pm, Gerry wrote:
I get a similar problem on a banking site. I use latest MS Edge and when I use T for table and then try to navigate the table using Cntrl+Alt plus cursor arrows, nvda says, not in a table cell. I then have to navigate along the rows rather than up and down the rows. It is annoying, but I can still get what I want.

Gerry

On 09/11/2020 10:42, Sean Randall wrote:

Hi,

-- Patrick
All,

Confidentiality Notice

Data Protection

Disclaimer

Robert Logue

Lots of apps report tables but NVDA doesn't work with them.

Examples are the NVDA user guide and commands quick reference.

Can't move between columns with ctrl+alt+left or right keys.

Windows 2004. NVDA 2020.3. New Edge.

Firefox 73.0.1

On 2020-11-09 1:55 a.m., Gene wrote:
I would think this isn't related to your project, but I see instances where things look like tables to sighted readers but are not, so a screen-reader can't read them in any sort of logical manner.  How often this happens, I don't know and it may be to an extent the sites I happen to look at a good deal but it is nonetheless an accessibility issue to present something that looks like a table and isn't

Gene

All,

Gene

I am not using the latest NVDA but a very recent version. I tested with Edge and with the Brave Browser and was able to move properly in the quick settings page. I'm using Windows 7 but I don't think that would matter since I tested with Edge as one browser.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:13 AM

Lots of apps report tables but NVDA doesn't work with them.

Examples are the NVDA user guide and commands quick reference.

Can't move between columns with ctrl+alt+left or right keys.

Windows 2004. NVDA 2020.3. New Edge.

Firefox 73.0.1

On 2020-11-09 1:55 a.m., Gene wrote:

Gene

All,

Louise Pfau

I have trouble accessing the table containing the list of messages in the gMail interface with NVDA 2020.3, Google Chrome,  and Microsoft Edge.  JAWS 16 recognizes the table correctly.

Louise

Sarah k Alawami

That I don't have issues with, I use the keys in focus mode to navigate. See gmail's help for more info by hitting question mark in focus mode then switching to browse mode to read said shortcuts.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 10 Nov 2020, at 12:10, Louise Pfau wrote:

I have trouble accessing the table containing the list of messages in the gMail interface with NVDA 2020.3, Google Chrome,  and Microsoft Edge.  JAWS 16 recognizes the table correctly.

Louise