Topics

The danger at the moment of this moderation thread.

Is that its all engulfing. Personally, I think one needs to have this on a special group for admin of nvda lists generally.
I fear that those coming in in the last few days who want help are drowned out by repeated messages about who how what where and how to vote etc etc.

Cannot an announcement just be put here that cannot be followed up?
or is that what happened when I got cryptic bounces from this list yesterday. i see mention of sub groups. One supposes this is in effect a new group but automatically, those subscribed here, also get subscribed there. this will be good as I can then sort them on the group name be it a new name or something related

So, can we perhaps do this now. I've kind of lost the will to live looking through the various threads on this, of which I know I've just created another, sorry.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Austin Pinto <austinpinto.xaviers@...>

sub group work in progress

On 3/23/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

As much as I 100% agree with Joseph's way of doing this, I also must say, with all due respect, I agree with Brian.

I think a subgroup is actually a fantastic idea, and why I didn't think of that sooner is beyond me.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@gmail.com
Phone: (704) 256-8010 Extension 401.

[...]

Awesome, Austin. thank you for the help. I'm so sorry, so forgive me. Are you also one of the list admins? I'm just curious.
---
[...]

Hi all,

Subgroups is one of the reasons why we switched to Groups.IO along with
polls, wiki and others (wiki isn't turned on because we already have a
community wiki). When we switched to Groups.IO earlier this month, I
envisioned (Nimer may or may not have) a subgroup just for talking about
list matters (policies and so on), similar to the setup on Win10 forum where
there is an actual subgroup for discussing list policies, administration
matters and so on (I'm indeed the head admin; perhaps I need to advertise
the existence of that subgroup on Win10 forum today...), hence one of the
questions in the proposal (posted yesterday) was creation of a subgroup.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Nimer Jaber

Hello all,

I am not going to necessarily create a new subgroup or do very much admin-related until we work out who is going to help moderate this list. In general, I believe that having a list for discussing list matters is important, however as we have a moderator that is stepping away from his role with exemplary effort, I don't want to make any major hasty decisions just yet until I can have a conversation with the in-coming candidate.

Thanks.

On 3/23/2016 12:02 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Many new members and many longer term members may leave or become alienated and go nomail or also leave if we have an election for moderator and all campaigning and discussion is carried out on the list.  The amount of traffic on the list devoted to the election could be very large and completely unrelated to the publicly stated purpose of the list and the reason people join.

The loss of some or perhaps many new members as well as the loss or inactivity of some or many old members may be a significant detriment to the list.  It is a really bad idea to conduct the election in a way that may be harmful to the list.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:05 PM

Hello all,

I am not going to necessarily create a new subgroup or do very much
admin-related until we work out who is going to help moderate this list.
In general, I believe that having a list for discussing list matters is
important, however as we have a moderator that is stepping away from his
role with exemplary effort, I don't want to make any major hasty
decisions just yet until I can have a conversation with the in-coming
candidate.

Thanks.

On 3/23/2016 12:02 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Subgroups is one of the reasons why we switched to Groups.IO along with
> polls, wiki and others (wiki isn't turned on because we already have a
> community wiki). When we switched to Groups.IO earlier this month, I
> envisioned (Nimer may or may not have) a subgroup just for talking about
> list matters (policies and so on), similar to the setup on Win10 forum where
> there is an actual subgroup for discussing list policies, administration
> matters and so on (I'm indeed the head admin; perhaps I need to advertise
> the existence of that subgroup on Win10 forum today...), hence one of the
> questions in the proposal (posted yesterday) was creation of a subgroup.
> Cheers,
> Joseph

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

This message is an example of what you stated, an extraneous message to the list not having to do with the topic of NVDA. I would kindly ask that any further discussion of voting, elections, or anything not having to do with NVDA be sent to the owner address. All votes about whether to even have an election are being sent to that address. All votes, if an election happens, will be sent to that address. Once Joseph and I figure out who will be that new individual, we can discuss how to move forward. It is important, though, that Joseph and I do not do anything to affect the running of this list right before a new individual is brought in. I understand why you do not wish to have an election, however sending message after message after message only serves as a vehicle for turning users off of this topic. So let us all please respectfully send any and all feedback and votes to the owner address.

Nimer J

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:05 PM

Hello all,

I am not going to necessarily create a new subgroup or do very much
admin-related until we work out who is going to help moderate this list.
In general, I believe that having a list for discussing list matters is
important, however as we have a moderator that is stepping away from his
role with exemplary effort, I don't want to make any major hasty
decisions just yet until I can have a conversation with the in-coming
candidate.

Thanks.

On 3/23/2016 12:02 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Subgroups is one of the reasons why we switched to Groups.IO along with
> polls, wiki and others (wiki isn't turned on because we already have a
> community wiki). When we switched to Groups.IO earlier this month, I
> envisioned (Nimer may or may not have) a subgroup just for talking about
> list matters (policies and so on), similar to the setup on Win10 forum where
> there is an actual subgroup for discussing list policies, administration
> matters and so on (I'm indeed the head admin; perhaps I need to advertise
> the existence of that subgroup on Win10 forum today...), hence one of the
> questions in the proposal (posted yesterday) was creation of a subgroup.
> Cheers,
> Joseph

But those of us not using win 10 would not actually be on there to see it of course!
Incidentally, while talking win 10 as this is a kind of cross over query, here goes.
Is there a setup up in Windows 7 where if you leave the machine on for a while it installs windows 10 without being asked?
This seems to have happened to a friend and its all a bit annoying.
Of course one can go back, but why should this happen, is there a tick box somewhere that nvda is unaware of that has been clicked? Me? Well I uninstalled the nag update.
[...]

This was my main point really.

We regulars will be able to bypass all of this, but new people will be put off by it all. I suggest either a new list or a sub list, but one one needs to opt into if one wants to get involved plugged here. Can this list make followups to agiven thread be sent to the other list?
[...]

With respect though, unless the reply address is the owner address its not going to work, people will do exactly what I'm doing here, and getting hot under the collar about that is not a good idea as sharp waords from the existing moderators will put folk off as well.

I'm saying nomore here, but please think it through a bit more before doing this again, I'd say.

clgilland07@gmail.com <mailto:clgilland07@gmail.com>
[...]

briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting
'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Joe Paton

Brian,

I'm a little late, but there was a little microsoft nasty masquerading as an upgrade that I believe did that.

I think that it might have been pulled fairly quickly though.

Joe

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 08:55:27 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>

[...]

Pete <emac00@...>

  Hi
  I joined the nvda devel list to hear about people discussing nvda's scripting and how people were using python to script access to windows / programs so learning nvda scripting would be easier.
  I may be the only one to notice.  This list has had a name change from nvda devel to nvda.  Are we to assume now all things nvda are to be discuss here?  I thought there was / is a separate nvda users list for discussing nvda's functioning with programs like Firefox, Google chrome, UN branded chrome, internet explorer, outlook and so on...
  Or is there?
  Pete

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:05 PM

Hello all,

I am not going to necessarily create a new subgroup or do very much
admin-related until we work out who is going to help moderate this list.
In general, I believe that having a list for discussing list matters is
important, however as we have a moderator that is stepping away from his
role with exemplary effort, I don't want to make any major hasty
decisions just yet until I can have a conversation with the in-coming
candidate.

Thanks.

On 3/23/2016 12:02 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Subgroups is one of the reasons why we switched to Groups.IO along with
> polls, wiki and others (wiki isn't turned on because we already have a
> community wiki). When we switched to Groups.IO earlier this month, I
> envisioned (Nimer may or may not have) a subgroup just for talking about
> list matters (policies and so on), similar to the setup on Win10 forum where
> there is an actual subgroup for discussing list policies, administration
> matters and so on (I'm indeed the head admin; perhaps I need to advertise
> the existence of that subgroup on Win10 forum today...), hence one of the
> questions in the proposal (posted yesterday) was creation of a subgroup.
> Cheers,
> Joseph

V Stuart Foote

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 04:58 am, Pete <emac00@...> wrote:

  Hi
  I joined the nvda devel list to hear about people discussing nvda's scripting and how people were using python to script access to windows / programs so learning nvda scripting would be easier.
  I may be the only one to notice.  This list has had a name change from nvda devel to nvda.  Are we to assume now all things nvda are to be discuss here?  I thought there was / is a separate nvda users list for discussing nvda's functioning with programs like Firefox, Google chrome, UN branded chrome, internet explorer, outlook and so on...
  Or is there?
  Pete

@Pete, *

Sorry, but you seem not to realize that this ML continues to function as the NVDA User support list, as migrated here to Groups.io from Freelists.org hosting.

NVAccess shut down the NVDA development mail list some time ago for spam and abuse issues, and shifted to issue tracking provided with the github hosing of the code base.

If you are really interested in NVDA Development, that resides on github where you can subscribe and follow issues.

Follow this link:  https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Folks here will have only a passing interest in development issues as they affect use and implementation of NVDA. It is primarily a user forum, not development.

Stuart

Pete <emac00@...>

  Hi

  My bad,  I didn't think it was a merger of two or more lists.  I thought the announcement was the list was moving over to groups.io.  I wasn't aware it was being merged.  Again my bad.
  I will consider joining / signing up with git hub.
  Thanks for the link!
  Pete

On 3/25/2016 12:11 PM, V Stuart Foote wrote:
[...]

Hi,

The NVDA-devel list is still active – you might be thinking about Trac.

Cheers,

Joseph