The last OK button during the Run COM Registration Fixing tool... and the creation of a portable version

Dejan Ristic

Hi,

When I created the portable version of NVDA, the last OK button didn't work correctly. It didn't do when I ran COM Registration Fixing tool..., either. When I pressed it after NVDA announced that the action was successful, NVDA focus was not returned to desktop, or an application I might be running. When I pressed NVDA and tab to see the focus, it said: NVDA unknown invisible focused.

I don't think that it is a fatal bug, but when the next NVDA version comes out, I may happen to face this issue and I'm afraid that the installation process may be incomplete because that last OK button makes NVDA stuck up in the mud. I can restart NVDA successfully when it happens, but I think that it is a good idea to let you know of this.

I may also provide you with a log if you wish me to, as well.

My operating system: Windows 7, 64 bit.

NVDA version: latest stable.

Note: This happens with a portable latest version, too.

Cheers,

Dejan

Quentin Christensen

Were you running any NVDA add-ons?  If you disable those does it make a difference?

If you could get an NVDA log while creating a portable version / running the COM registration tool etc, ideally at debug level, and send it to me, I'd be interested in having a look.

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever causes problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.log (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 9:33 PM Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@...> wrote:
[...]

Training and Support Manager