The new Microsoft Store version of Quick Assist - Access with NVDA

For those of you that use Quick Assist and have done so with the original version in recent days, you will get a notice that a new version is now available from the Microsoft Store and that encourages you to download it.  If you do then "the fun begins," in several respects:
1. You still have the old version as well as the new version on your machine, and the keyboard shortcut to invoke Quick Assist still invokes the old version.
2.  If you invoke the old version after the new is installed, the initial dialog will ask you if you wish to open the new version, and that's presented as a link near the bottom of the initial dialog.
3.  For me, anyway, the initial dialog of the new Quick Assist is inaccessible, but in a weird way, about which more, below.

When the initial dialog is opened, NVDA has focus on the entire dialog and NVDA is in focus mode.  I cannot seem to force a change to browse mode, and other than the announcement that I am in the Quick Assist window/dialog, I get absolutlely no other information.  I cannot figure out, for the life of me how to get out of browse mode and into the "guts of the dialog."

I can do this "the sighted way" and click on the text at the very start and, after doing so, everything is accessible in exactly the way I'd expect.  But I'm having no success either with conventional commands or object navigation in making this transition to the actual dialog content occur.

I don't need any assistance with Quick Assist itself, but am wondering if anyone has had any success with getting into the initial dialog where you either request assistance by entering a code your assistant gives you or set yourself as the assistant and get that code to provide to the person you're assisting.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Hello,

Here is how I solved the problem. While the focus was on the whole QuickAssist window, I've used NVDA's command to move the mouse cursor to the currently focused object (which in this case should be the whole QuickAssist window) and them simulated a single left mouse click. That moved the focus inside the QuickAssist window/document. This has to be done each time the QuickAssist program is launched, but it is still better than nothing.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 31.5.2022 г. в 18:24, Brian Vogel написа:

[...]

Kostadin,

Thanks very much.  Viable workarounds are always welcome.  I'll be curious to see if others have come up with more of these.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Russell James

Thanks for the heads up on this one!

Is there some way to get this input to MS for ease of use improvement?

Russ

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 11:52 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Kostadin,

Thanks very much.  Viable workarounds are always welcome.  I'll be curious to see if others have come up with more of these.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Sarah k Alawami

Has feedback already been sent to ms about this? This seems like a gross oversite on their part. I don’t use QA, so can’t really be of much help.

[...]

Yes. Simply hit windows plus f and choose the relevant category for which the feedback should be sent.  You can then record what happens and send it to them, or send a screen cap of the window all from within the app.

Is there some way to get this input to MS for ease of use improvement?

Russ

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 11:52 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Kostadin,

Thanks very much.  Viable workarounds are always welcome.  I'll be curious to see if others have come up with more of these.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

The two primary methods of providing feedback to Microsoft, about anything, are the Feedback Hub and, for users of Assistive Technology, and the US Microsoft & Windows Accessibility Support Webpage or UK Microsoft & Windows Accessibility Support Webpage.

Talking to Accessibility Support representatives, regardless of how you decide to reach out to them, is the most direct way to ensure a human has heard about the issue and, if you're lucky, will note this in the call notes and forward same to someone who may be able to take action on these.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Brian's Mail list account

This sounds like the same issue recently happening in Ccleaners update screen and some other places, IE the initial focus is not set to the start of the objects in the window and nothing ordinary will make it go there.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044 Â

       ~ Joshua Liebman

Russell James

Now you got me thinking and I wonder if the same thing happens when using narrator

I'm a bit concerned that there may be a general focus problem emerging here for nvda

Russ

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 10:41 AM, Russell James wrote:
I wonder if the same thing happens when using narrator
-
I haven't tried Narrator with this.  But the same thing happens with JAWS, too.  It was this issue being brought up on one of the JAWS groups that launched my noodling around with NVDA and new Quick Assist.

Just the JAWS and NVDA data points make me think that Microsoft has to fix something.  But it's also good to know that until they do, a workaround exists.

        ~ Joshua Liebman