Thinking about purchasing the Acapela voices for NVDA

Michael Chopra

Hey everyone. I was thinking about getting the Acapela voices add-on for NVDA, but wanted people's thoughts before I decided to pay for it or not. What is the responsiveness like and is it worth the high price tag? Or would I simply be wasting money? Feel free to add anything else I should consider as well.
Thanks for your help.
From Michael.

Gene

You can download a demo to see what you think.  You have to download and install the add-on, then install the voice or voices you want as additional add-ons.

Others may answer and give their opinions but you may want to see for yourself what you think.  Different people have very different opinions about voices.

See this page for information:

http://www.acapela-nvda.com/get-your-download-here-v1-7/

That is the page to download the version of the add-on that is compatible with the current and recent versions of NVDA.

Gene

On 1/24/2022 5:44 PM, Michael Chopra wrote:

Hey everyone. I was thinking about getting the Acapela voices add-on for NVDA, but wanted people's thoughts before I decided to pay for it or not. What is the responsiveness like and is it worth the high price tag? Or would I simply be wasting money? Feel free to add anything else I should consider as well.
Thanks for your help.
From Michael.

Don H

I downloaded the addon but when I tried downloading a voice it said it
was not compatible with my version of NVDA which is the latest released
version of NVDA.

On 1/24/2022 6:19 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

From Michael.

Michael Chopra

Hi. I did the trial thing where they gave access to it for 3 months when this whole pandemic started, so can't get a trial again. Even when I did, I still had all kinds of issues. I thought I'd try again, hoping for a better result.
Thanks.
From Michael.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 13:19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

From Michael.

Well acapella voices are really good but there are downsides.
Because its an addon like any addons its susceptible to version changes.
So from time to time your voices won't work due to nvda version upgrades.
Its why I went for vocaliser as a sapi synth.
You will also need nvda to use it.
Like sapi vocaliser any major update you will need to deregister and
reregester again.
If you are not going to use it that much you may want to try to first
get the sapi vocaliser and run that way.
I realise vocaliser sapi is the only tts package to have everything in
1 massive mega bundle but at guys sells it and I got it and still use
it for gaming.
The price is 60 us I think same with eloquence which is also sapi or
you can buy both as a single addon so take your pick.

On 25/01/2022, Michael Chopra <michaelchopra38@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi. I did the trial thing where they gave access to it for 3 months when
this whole pandemic started, so can't get a trial again. Even when I did, I
still had all kinds of issues. I thought I'd try again, hoping for a better
result.
Thanks.
From Michael.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 13:19, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

From Michael.

Gene

I'm not sure why.  I downloaded Ryan and had no compatibility problems.  You might want to try that voice.

Also, I downloaded the COLIBRI voices and had no compatibility problems.  I think the COLIBRI voices, though the quality of the voice isn't as good and they aren't as inflected, are much better voices.  Speech inflection and pauses are much more natural.  The voices sound reasonably good.  Also, the so called high quality voices often join words together poorly.  I haven't listened enough to say that the COLIBRI voices don't have that sort of problem at all, but they appear not to have it much.  I don't recall hearing a clumsy joining of words in the two or three minutes of reading I listened to.

I'm not talking about inflection.  I'm talking about the way one word is joined to the next.

ACapella is so intent on making the higher voices sound higher in quality that the result, in my opinion, is much lower quality.

Gene

On 1/24/2022 6:19 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

From Michael.

Michael Chopra

Hi. I tried this earlier by downloading their demo thing from AT guys, but got a message stating that there was a problem activating your license and to check my internet connection, so I think I'll pass on that one.
Thanks.
From Michael.