From: AKH AKH
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2021 4:12 AM
Subject: [nvda] Thunderbird

I have suddenly started getting the word 'zero' announced at the
beginning of each Email as I cursor up and down my inbox - very annoying
to hear this extra word everysingle time.

Any ideas how I can get NVDA to stop saying 'zero'

Andrew

Blake Roberts

This TB issue appears to affect quite a few people. Two individuals have asked similar question in the Thunderbird group on groups.io during my membership there. The solution is installing Mozilla Apps Enhancements NVDA add-on:
https://nvda-addons.org/addon.php?id=5
Then use it to rearrange Thunderbird column headers. By columns I mean things such as to, from, subject, junkmail status... The 0 and 100 numbers beside messages are due to Thunderbird junkmail filtering. As I wrote in a recent Thunderbird group thread, my preference is to move the junk column from default location to next to last column. That way I hear "0" before the date/time stamp.

Blake

Blake Roberts

My previous message in this thread provides a workaround for the problem presented (link to download Mozilla Apps Enhancements NVDA add-on). With the Mozilla add-on installed in NVDA, go to your Thunderbird message folder of choice. Press NVDAKey+H and rearrange message field columns there.

The issue of 0 announcements is caused by Thunderbird, not NVDA. I suggest that anyone in the NVDA group with Thunderbird-specific questions consider joining the Thunderbird group:
https://groups.io/g/thunderbird

The primary/intended audience is screen reader users. Thunderbird group email addresses are on that group's home page under "Group Email Addresses" heading including this one:
Subscribe:
Blake

tim

You can use that add on to move it to the last of the line.

However, don't hit option or it will close that is broke!

On 10/14/2021 7:48 PM, Blake Roberts via groups.io wrote:
This TB issue appears to affect quite a few people. Two individuals have asked similar question in the Thunderbird group on groups.io during my membership there. The solution is installing Mozilla Apps Enhancements NVDA add-on:
https://nvda-addons.org/addon.php?id=5
Then use it to rearrange Thunderbird column headers. By columns I mean things such as to, from, subject, junkmail status... The 0 and 100 numbers beside messages are due to Thunderbird junkmail filtering. As I wrote in a recent Thunderbird group thread, my preference is to move the junk column from default location to next to last column. That way I hear "0" before the date/time stamp.

Blake

AKH AKH

Tim

I've found Headers in the view menu, but where do I go to find the rearrange headers options, please. I have the add on installed.

Andrew

On 15/10/2021 13:21, tim wrote:

You can use that add on to move it to the last of the line.

However, don't hit option or it will close that is broke!

On 10/14/2021 7:48 PM, Blake Roberts via groups.io wrote:
This TB issue appears to affect quite a few people. Two individuals have asked similar question in the Thunderbird group on groups.io during my membership there. The solution is installing Mozilla Apps Enhancements NVDA add-on:
https://nvda-addons.org/addon.php?id=5
Then use it to rearrange Thunderbird column headers. By columns I mean things such as to, from, subject, junkmail status... The 0 and 100 numbers beside messages are due to Thunderbird junkmail filtering. As I wrote in a recent Thunderbird group thread, my preference is to move the junk column from default location to next to last column. That way I hear "0" before the date/time stamp.

Blake

Daniel McGee

Hello Andrew

I'm currently trying out this addon my self. From the instructions pasted here for convenience directly from the addon site.

NVDA+H Displays a dialog in which you can change the order of the columns in the message list.

Also link directly to the addon page for instructions to reference.

HTH

Daniel

Mozilla Apps Enhancements (nvda-project.org)

On 15/10/2021 13:21, tim wrote:

You can use that add on to move it to the last of the line.

However, don't hit option or it will close that is broke!

On 10/14/2021 7:48 PM, Blake Roberts via groups.io wrote:
This TB issue appears to affect quite a few people. Two individuals have asked similar question in the Thunderbird group on groups.io during my membership there. The solution is installing Mozilla Apps Enhancements NVDA add-on:
https://nvda-addons.org/addon.php?id=5
Then use it to rearrange Thunderbird column headers. By columns I mean things such as to, from, subject, junkmail status... The 0 and 100 numbers beside messages are due to Thunderbird junkmail filtering. As I wrote in a recent Thunderbird group thread, my preference is to move the junk column from default location to next to last column. That way I hear "0" before the date/time stamp.

Blake

Gene

The command to open the rearrange dialog is NVDA key h.  You are in a list of headers.  Move to the one you want and use the move up and move down buttons.  When finished activate the done button.  Use the space bar on the buttons.

Gene

On 15/10/2021 13:21, tim wrote:

[...]

It puts you in a list. Just arrow to the one you want to move. Then tab to either up or down button.

You can shift + tab back to the list to see how far you moved. Then tab to options and hit enter it use to do more but now it just closes out.

On 15/10/2021 13:21, tim wrote:

[...]

There is a close button after the options button.  use that  to close the interface.  I don't have the  latest attachment but in the previous version, if you have an item selected and then press options, you can down and up arrow through a lot of options.  If you tab instead, the list will close and you will be back in the program.  I wouldn't be surprised if the latest version works the same way.  It may have been updated for compatibility but no other changes may have been made.

I don't have the latest attachment but the previous one still opens a list when you press the button.  You evidentlyhave to be on an item in the first place before options opens a list.

Gene

On 15/10/2021 13:21, tim wrote:

[...]

I just got the latest NVDA add-on.  It works like the previous one.  If you already have selected an item in a the list you are on when you open the add-on, then if you tab to and press the options button, you are in a list you can arrow up and down.  I haven't looked at the list in a lot of detail but one thing you can use it for is to determine what headers are displayed.  You will hear that header fields are checked or unchecked as you move in the list.  Change the state of an item using the space bar.  I've used this list so seldom that I think that is all you do.  As far as I can see, changes take immediate effect and there is no OK button.  You can close it with escape and I think if you tab it will close.

Gene

On 15/10/2021 13:21, tim wrote:

[...]

Works well, but what is 'starred' as a column, please?

Andrew

Thanks,

On 15/10/2021 13:21, tim wrote:

[...]

I’m guessing but I suspect it is the same thing as another e-mail program might refer to as flagged.

On 15/10/2021 13:21, tim wrote:

[...]

Like I said that don't work.

On 15/10/2021 13:21, tim wrote:

[...]

What doesn’t work?  The close button closes the add-on.  The options button does what I described.  As you will see, in a following message, I downloaded and tested the compatible version and it works just as the older one does.

On 15/10/2021 13:21, tim wrote:

You can use that add on to move it to the last of the line.

However, don't hit option or it will close that is broke!

On 10/14/2021 7:48 PM, Blake Roberts via groups.io wrote:
This TB issue appears to affect quite a few people. Two individuals have asked similar question in the Thunderbird group on groups.io during my membership there. The solution is installing Mozilla Apps Enhancements NVDA add-on:
https://nvda-addons.org/addon.php?id=5
Then use it to rearrange Thunderbird column headers. By columns I mean things such as to, from, subject, junkmail status... The 0 and 100 numbers beside messages are due to Thunderbird junkmail filtering. As I wrote in a recent Thunderbird group thread, my preference is to move the junk column from default location to next to last column. That way I hear "0" before the date/time stamp.

Blake

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 09:04 AM, tim wrote:
Like I said that don't work.
-
Then consider uninstalling and reinstalling the Add-On, NVDA, or both.  If restarting the computer doesn't fix it, and running the COM Registration Fixing Tool, doesn't, and there are others who are reporting they cannot replicate an issue, that strongly suggests an idiosyncratic corruption on your machine, or user error.

Since you say you've used this add-on in the past, and are familiar with it, user error is the less likely of those two.

And the above advice with regard to idiosyncratic corruption limited to a given computer or possible user error applies way beyond this specific situation when other users cannot replicate an issue.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Sarah k Alawami

Star marks an item as a favorite.