Topics

thunderbird just broke!

Roger Stewart

Something very weird just happened to Thunderbird with nvda. It was working just fine earlier this morning but I just opened it again to check mail and everything keeps saying unknown unknown and this is everywhere within Thunderbird.  It won't read the box I'm in or the subject of the messages.  I tried restarting nvda and that did nothing. I then restarted the computer and it is still doing this.  I didn't do anything to Thunderbird at all. What has changed itself and is there any way to get it back to normal?  It is fustrating, but also fascinating to see this sort of artificial intellegence at work--when something feels like changing, it will just do it without any action on my part.  Hope someone can help.

Roger

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Roger,

Youcould try unstalling thunderbird and then reinstall it. Hopefully that will fix theproblem.

Rosemarie

On 7/8/2020 11:42 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
Something very weird just happened to Thunderbird with nvda. It was working just fine earlier this morning but I just opened it again to check mail and everything keeps saying unknown unknown and this is everywhere within Thunderbird.  It won't read the box I'm in or the subject of the messages.  I tried restarting nvda and that did nothing. I then restarted the computer and it is still doing this.  I didn't do anything to Thunderbird at all. What has changed itself and is there any way to get it back to normal?  It is fustrating, but also fascinating to see this sort of artificial intellegence at work--when something feels like changing, it will just do it without any action on my part.  Hope someone can help.

Roger

Roger Stewart

I've just tried running Narrator, and it reads Thunderbird proberly.  I've also found that this problem exists in Firefox now as well.  I did try running the com registry tool and that didn't help at all.

Roger

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Is it only in mozilla thunder bird or do you have fire fox as well.

Does it happen in other browsers? or down near the running applications area in windows? Does the applications key work?

If it was only in fire fox and thunder bird I did have a problem like that a while back.

It ended up been a corrupt ini file in either fire fox or thunder bird that caused it.

A uninstall the usual way did not fix it so you had to go into the %appdata% section to do it.

Then reinstall the program.

See what others say first.

Gene nz

On 9/07/2020 6:42 am, Roger Stewart wrote:
Something very weird just happened to Thunderbird with nvda. It was working just fine earlier this morning but I just opened it again to check mail and everything keeps saying unknown unknown and this is everywhere within Thunderbird.  It won't read the box I'm in or the subject of the messages.  I tried restarting nvda and that did nothing. I then restarted the computer and it is still doing this.  I didn't do anything to Thunderbird at all. What has changed itself and is there any way to get it back to normal?  It is fustrating, but also fascinating to see this sort of artificial intellegence at work--when something feels like changing, it will just do it without any action on my part.  Hope someone can help.

Roger

Luke Davis

I just experienced this with someone on Windows 7 and Thunderbird earlier today. Running the com registration fixing tool took care of it.
I had just run it on that system earlier in the day--it seems to be needed quite often on that Win 7 system--but it did fix it.

Not sure why that didn't help for you, but may i suggest you try again and then restart windows?

Luke

Roger Stewart

Well, I don't know what fixed it, but it just seems to have fixed itself just the way it messed up! Just spontaneously it'[s working great again. When it was happening, both Firefox and Edge were also affected in this same way but they are all working again.

Roger

On 7/8/2020 3:05 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
I just experienced this with someone on Windows 7 and Thunderbird earlier today. Running the com registration fixing tool took care of it.
I had just run it on that system earlier in the day--it seems to be needed quite often on that Win 7 system--but it did fix it.

Not sure why that didn't help for you, but may i suggest you try again and then restart windows?

Luke

Kevin Cussick

not sure on this one really. but try running the com registration tool in Nvda. it might fix or it might not sorry out of ideas.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 04:32 PM, Roger Stewart wrote:
but it just seems to have fixed itself just the way it messed up!
"The mystical burp" followed by another "mystical reversing burp."  They occur, in various forms, way more often than some would like to believe.  I'm just thankful when they do, and then hope the burp/reversing burp don't turn into a repeating cycle.

You could, but that is a good deal of work. Try running the registry fix tool. If you need information, I'll check how you get to and run it.

[...]

Gene

If the registry tool didn't help, I don't know what the problem is. Is system restore active on your machine? Running a restore point from before the problem started might solve it.

I've just tried running Narrator, and it reads Thunderbird proberly.
I've also found that this problem exists in Firefox now as well. I did
try running the com registry tool and that didn't help at all.

Roger

Ron Canazzi

Hi Roger,

I bet you got the message pane enabled.  Press the F8 key and see if that solves the problem.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Roger Stewart

Nope, that wasn't the problem but I don't know what caused it. All I know is it has fixed itself!

On 7/8/2020 4:43 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

I was thinking about doing a system restore. The only thing I did today was to install the new Microsoft Edge. However, everything was working after that for a few hours and then it suddenly went bonkers!  A few hours later, it righted itself with no help or action from me! Just one of those digital mysteries I guess!
:-)
Roger

-----Original Message----- From: Roger Stewart
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 1:55 PM
To: NVDA List

I've just tried running Narrator, and it reads Thunderbird proberly.
I've also found that this problem exists in Firefox now as well. I did
try running the com registry tool and that didn't help at all.

Roger

Kevin Cussick

Hi, well it might be a good idea to create a restore point and call it something You will remember and if You get this again maybe it will be not such a problem to fix.