Topics

Tips for reporting issues: Please don't say "Using the latest version of Windows 10 and NVDA" when reporting issues

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

I've seen a few people report issues lately, and say something along the lines of "I'm using the latest versions of Windows 10 and NVDA".

I'm not having a go at anyone over that, but I wanted to share the point of view of trying to recreate your issue in order to help solve it.  Even though it seems obvious to you what you are using, it may not narrow it down as much as may be needed to troubleshoot the issue you are having.

With Windows 10 - the latest version could mean:
- The latest fast insider build
- The latest slow insider build
- The latest Skip Ahead insider build
- The latest regular consumer build
- The consumer build from six months before that as Microsoft can do very staggered rollouts over three months or more.
- An earlier consumer build because Microsoft have determined that your system can't run the most recent update.

For NVDA, there aren't quite as many options if you are running the "Latest" version, but that still could be:
- The latest alpha build
- Another alpha build from the last 24 hours (we might release more than one alpha build in a day, but if you are relying on the automatic check for updates, it will only check once a day).
- The latest Beta or RC build (if we are in a beta or RC cycle at the time)
- The latest stable build

So, that's something like 24 potential combinations of "the latest versions" of Windows 10 and NVDA!  (I must admit, even I didn't think it was that many when I started writing this).

When reporting an issue (in the group, via email, on GitHub, or anywhere else), could you please try to:
- Give the Windows build number.  To find that press WINDOWS+R, type WINVER and press ENTER.
- Give the NVDA version number.  Press NVDA+N, then H, then A.
- Give the version of any other program you are using (EG if you are having a problem in PowerPoint, please advise its version or build number).
- Give specific steps to recreate the issue you are having.

All of that will help anyone trying to assist you to recreate the issue and give advice as quickly as possible without needing to come back and ask lots of additional questions.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager