Topics

To All Members - Regarding Bounce Probes

First, if you receive a bounce probe message and activate the "unbounce" link, rest assured that does work.  I thought that Groups.io sent an automated response back confirming you are unbounced, but if they do not, PLEASE, please, please assume that you are if you did not receive any error message when activating the unbounce link.

There is nothing that Group Administration, on any group, can do to unbounce members.  The whole idea behind a bounce probe is to not only detect that an e-mail address is existent, but that someone's reading it and reacting to content.  That is something that only the member who receives a bounce probe can do.

For those who want additional information about how bouncing works, and from the Group Admin perspective, see this page from the Groups.io Owner's Manual, paying particular attention to the last line that starts with, "Important!"     https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/additional-information/groups-io-bounce-handling

Please do not send test messages to see if you are unbounced.  If you receive a single message that anyone has sent, you are unbounced, and our traffic is high enough that messages tend to come through pretty regularly.

Jackie

This is the 2nd bounce notice I've received. I unbounced my account
only to have it bounce a short time later. My email address is fine,
my storage is not used up, so, to be honest, I'm really not sure what
to do at this point. Maybe it's God's way of telling me I don't need
the extra emails? :shrug: This only seemed to start after Big G's
outage yesterday.

Any suggestions welcome, though I understand moderators/owners are
basically powerless in this situation. But I think I am too.

[...]

[ Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to
overturn the votes certified by 4 states: ] Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling,
but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes
next.  We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.

~ Brendan Buck, former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John
Boehner

All of this is related to the Google Outage.  And the after effects of the outage are not over.  They're having "micro outages" still, and if a group e-mail is sent to anyone's address that is part of a micro outage, no matter how short, the whole bounce cycle begins anew again.  Groups.io can only take what Google sends back and act on that, and it looks like this could be a merry-go-round for some and not others.