To those asking questions: Please give detailed information on your computing environment #adminnotice

This post is a spin-off of the topic NVDA says out of link in Outlook.  Much of the later content of that particular discussion points out that you simply cannot solve issues "in the abstract" and without specific data about the operating environment involved.

Now that we are in, and will be in, a dual Windows 10 and Windows 11 world for several years, have been in a multi-version Microsoft Office and M365 world, etc., it is essential to give the specifics of your operating environment.  For NVDA issues, at a minimum, that includes:

1. NVDA version.
2. Windows Edition with Version and build numbers.  (Obtained via the 'winver' command.)  Edition - Home, Pro, Enterprise, Educational - absolutely matters.
3. Software version.

It prevents having to "go around Jake's barn" (as they say in the Shenandoah Valley) to arrive at both a problem theory and possible solution.
--

Brian Virginia, USA Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 22H2, Build 19045; Office 2016, Version 16.0.15726.20188, 32-bit

"Be Yourself" is the worst advice you can give to some people.

       ~ Tom Masson

Jackie

Thanks so much, Shenandoah Valley! Sometimes I feel like we need to
imitate Bleeping Computer & generate some canned replies for
requesting just such information.

[...]

Jackie McBride
Be a hero. Fight Scams. Learn how at www.scam911.org
Also check out brightstarsweb.com & mysitesbeenhacked.com

Jackie,

I (and Nimer as well, and Joseph Lee as well) have tried, and tried, and tried, and tried to get this point across on several different tech groups.  There are times when it's even more critical than others to have this information, and for any complex problem, at any time, it's essential.  The fact that we are right now in a multi-windows, multi-office suite, and often multi-other supported version environment makes this information critical.

Those who've ever paid attention to the initial line of my signature have already noticed that I have included Windows version and build, Office version at the high level and under the hood level, and the bit depth for both windows and office, which happen to be different on my machines, as I still have 32-bit office.  I did that so that I only had to dig this information out, once, and it would be there for all my Groups.io posts, as I'm using the Groups.io signature option, which allows all users, whether by email or the web interface, to set up a signature that will be used by email contributions and/or web posts.  This is on the Subscription page for each and every group that you're subscribed to, and is separate for each and every group.

P.S. Just added the Windows Edition to my signature since, although I have both Home and Pro machines, I'm almost always using the laptop with Pro on it.
--

Brian Virginia, USA Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 22H2, Build 19045; Office 2016, Version 16.0.15726.20188, 32-bit

"Be Yourself" is the worst advice you can give to some people.

       ~ Tom Masson

Jackie

I totally get it, Amigo, & I'd go so far as to say that failing to
provide the information initially is actually a discourtesy to those
involved, cuz someone's gotta spend their valuable time to write and
ask for it. I understand that's not intentional, but I'd wager most of
us who provide support would admit to failing telepathy 101 abysmally.
So it's like, if you want us to help you, please take the time to help
us do that.

Be a hero. Fight Scams. Learn how at www.scam911.org
Also check out brightstarsweb.com & mysitesbeenhacked.com

Louise Pfau

Hi.  Thanks for providing instructions on how to create a signature on the groups.io interface.  I've wanted to ask about that for a while, but it's not specifically related to the content of the groups to which I'm subscribed.

Thanks,

Louise