Topics

locked TOR Browser Accessibility with NVDA

Carlos Medrano

Hello All,

I am new here, so I apologize in advance if I am sending this to the wrong place.

I am using Windows 10 2004 with NVDA 2020.2 and downloaded the latest stable version of the TOR browser at (https://www.torproject.org), which is based on Mozilla Firefox 78.3.0ESR.

When navigating the part of the browser that normally has the web content, NVDA just says "unknown." Has anybody had a similar issue and been able to solve it? If not I will file a bug with the TOR Browser developers to look into it.

Many thanks,

Carlos

Chris

Im using the latest Tor with no problem here

Are you getting this in other browsers or menus  as well ? as it may indicate another issue

Sent: 11 October 2020 17:05
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] TOR Browser Accessibility with NVDA

H

As an aside, and for the purposes of comparison and diagnosis, if you happen to be a Brave user you can invoke a private window that uses Tor (ALT+SHIFT+N).

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

Carlos Medrano

Hmm, Chris, it may be a local configuration problem for me if you are not having issues. Everything that is not the web area of the page works, meaning that I can access the browser's menus and address bar for example. I also tried downloading the alpha version of TOR to see if it solves the problem.
Brian, are you referring to plain Firefox when doing alt+shift+n? TOR browser and regular Firefox do not appear to do anything when executing that keybinding.
Thanks much,
Carlos

On 10/11/2020 11:48 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
As an aside, and for the purposes of comparison and diagnosis, if you happen to be a Brave user you can invoke a private window that uses Tor (ALT+SHIFT+N).

--

~ Kelley Boorn

Chris

Have you tried it with the default profile ?

There’s also a option to prevent accessibility feature from reaching the browser under privacy and security

Check if that’s not been checked

Or you might want to run the com registration tool in nvda just to eliminate that  issue

Sent: 11 October 2020 18:43
Subject: Re: [nvda] TOR Browser Accessibility with NVDA

Hmm, Chris, it may be a local configuration problem for me if you are not having issues. Everything that is not the web area of the page works, meaning that I can access the browser's menus and address bar for example. I also tried downloading the alpha version of TOR to see if it solves the problem.

Brian, are you referring to plain Firefox when doing alt+shift+n? TOR browser and regular Firefox do not appear to do anything when executing that keybinding.

Thanks much,

Carlos

--

~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

Dohn't ever turn off the prevent accessibility from reaching the browser. If you do you will not have access to anything, menus dialogs web pages, of course, absolutely nothing except, maybe the title bar.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 1:03 PM

There’s also a option to prevent accessibility feature from reaching the browser under privacy and security

Or you might want to run the com registration tool in nvda just to eliminate that issue

Thanks much,

Carlos

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

~ Kelley Boorn

Carlos Medrano

Gene, yes; a while ago, I changed that setting and had to delete my TOR browser bundle and reinstall it to get screen reader support back.
Chris, what do you mean by default profile? I thought that the profile data is stored in the directory with the bundled Firefox. Is there an additional location I should check? I usually reset profiles by renaming the old profile directory and letting Firefox create a new one.
Thanks,
Carlos

On 10/11/2020 1:09 PM, Gene wrote:
Dohn't ever turn off the prevent accessibility from reaching the browser. If you do you will not have access to anything, menus dialogs web pages, of course, absolutely nothing except, maybe the title bar.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Chris via groups.io

Or you might want to run the com registration tool in nvda just to eliminate that  issue

Thanks much,

Carlos

Carlos Medrano

Forgot to mention it in the last e-mail, but ran the COM registration fixing tool with no changes.

On 10/11/2020 1:09 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Chris via groups.io

Thanks much,

Carlos

Chris

You could do it like that  or remove the profile that is being currently used

Sent: 11 October 2020 19:22

G

Carlos Medrano

Chris, thanks. I renamed the old profile directory and let the bundled Firefox make a new one. It still isn't speaking the web content however.
If I may ask, when was the last time you reset your bundle's profile? I wonder if it's a new config setting you access through about:config that isn't being flipped on older installs. Would you be willing to rename your TOR bundle directory and install the latest build on the desktop to see if it behaves normally?
Thanks again for the help.
Carlos

On 10/11/2020 1:40 PM, Chris via groups.io wrote:

G

Chris

Carlos, did a fresh clean install of tor 10 x64 and it is accessible straight out of the box

So I dont know what is going on with your install

Sent: 11 October 2020 19:54

Chris, thanks. I renamed the old profile directory and let the bundled Firefox make a new one. It still isn't speaking the web content however.

If I may ask, when was the last time you reset your bundle's profile? I wonder if it's a new config setting you access through about:config that isn't being flipped on older installs. Would you be willing to rename your TOR bundle directory and install the latest build on the desktop to see if it behaves normally?

Carlos

G

Carlos Medrano

So I found my problem. I'm putting this here for people to use if they ever encounter a similar situation.
I'm running this instance of Windows 10 in a virtual machine, and I mapped the desktop to a virtual machine  shared folder that goes to the host. In other terms, I was trying to run my browser bundle from a mapped network drive, and it seems like Windows has a few restrictions on that kind of thing.
TL; DR: never run the TOR browser from a network drive. accessibility will break if you do so.
Thanks all of you for your ideas on solving this!
-Carlos

On 10/11/2020 2:42 PM, Chris via groups.io wrote:

Carlos, did a fresh clean install of tor 10 x64 and it is accessible straight out of the box

So I dont know what is going on with your install

Sent: 11 October 2020 19:54

Carlos

G

Hello,
i don't use tor browser in Windows, only in Linux. Maybe you can try to use brave browser. It also contains a Tor browser.
Greetings,
Wolfram

Am 11.10.20 um 17:43 schrieb Carlos Medrano:

Hello All,

I am new here, so I apologize in advance if I am sending this to the wrong place.

I am using Windows 10 2004 with NVDA 2020.2 and downloaded the latest stable version of the TOR browser at (https://www.torproject.org), which is based on Mozilla Firefox 78.3.0ESR.

When navigating the part of the browser that normally has the web content, NVDA just says "unknown." Has anybody had a similar issue and been able to solve it? If not I will file a bug with the TOR Browser developers to look into it.

Many thanks,

Carlos

Arlene

Hi Wolfwam, Does Linux still exist? I guess very few people use it?  I’ve never heard of it until a friend of a friend tried to install it on her old computer.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: October 11, 2020 3:03 PM

Hello,

i don't use tor browser in Windows, only in Linux. Maybe you can try to

use brave browser. It also contains a Tor browser.

Greetings,

Wolfram

> Hello All,

> I am new here, so I apologize in advance if I am sending this to the

> wrong place.

> I am using Windows 10 2004 with NVDA 2020.2 and downloaded the latest

> stable version of the TOR browser at (https://www.torproject.org),

> which is based on Mozilla Firefox 78.3.0ESR.

> When navigating the part of the browser that normally has the web

> content, NVDA just says "unknown." Has anybody had a similar issue and

> been able to solve it? If not I will file a bug with the TOR Browser

> developers to look into it.

> Many thanks,

> Carlos

>

Rob Hudson

It sure still exists. Been existing since the 90s. Linux, that is. Unix has been around since the 70s.

----- Original Message -----
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 15:16:19 -0700

Hi Wolfwam, Does Linux still exist? I guess very few people use it? Ive never heard of it until a friend of a friend tried to install it on her old computer.

mk360

What? If Linux exists? Microsoft Azure has many Linux systems, windows 10 has WSL to enshure Linux compatibility, Android is based in Linux, ant these are only a feu examples.

Ok, probably we never have Linux on the desktop, but many, too many systems are based in linux, If you connect to internet probably you are interacting with a Linux system.

Regards,,

mk.

El 11/10/2020 a las 19:16, Arlene escribió:

Hi Wolfwam, Does Linux still exist? I guess very few people use it?  I’ve never heard of it until a friend of a friend tried to install it on her old computer.

Hello,

Greetings,

Wolfram

> Hello All,

> wrong place.

> Many thanks,

> Carlos

>

Ian Blackburn

Hi Linux can be used by totally blind people using Orca screen reader under gnome desktop. I have not been able to work out Linux though because there are no effective audio tutorials for Linux gnome desktop like ones for say JAWS for windows or ?NVDA training modules. The problem is the cognitive load for someone who has to work out how to use the operating system at the same time as learning how to use the screen reader. It is a bit of a chicken and egg thing. You can’t learn how to use the operating system without some basic knowledge of the screen reader.

A person needs step by step ways to manage files and look on the internet so they can read the help documents or play the podcasts they want to listen to in order to get more than the basics out of the computer. I did teach myself Mac OSX and although not an expert can use the Mac for various tasks.

Regards
Ian

On 12/10/2020 8:06 am, mk360 wrote:

What? If Linux exists? Microsoft Azure has many Linux systems, windows 10 has WSL to enshure Linux compatibility, Android is based in Linux, ant these are only a feu examples.

Ok, probably we never have Linux on the desktop, but many, too many systems are based in linux, If you connect to internet probably you are interacting with a Linux system.

Regards,,

mk.

Hello,

Greetings,

Wolfram

> Hello All,

> wrong place.

> Many thanks,

> Carlos

>

Thats actually true.

For a while xbox existed with linux, I am not sure what apple macs are in but macos some of the structures used are linux like.

Now I do wander if microsoft would just drop the windows kernal and just use linux, and then sell out the win9x xp and 7/10 shells that could be a change.

I mean use linux but be able to run windows programs, without wine or anything like that.

Right now there is a not more accessible in windows than linux but who knows.

I do think that a lot of companies including microsoft are waking up to the fact that linux is probably going to take them over at some point.

On 12/10/2020 1:06 pm, mk360 wrote:

Regards,,

mk.

Hello,

Greetings,

Wolfram

> Hello All,

> wrong place.

> Many thanks,

> Carlos

>

Hi ian.

I have twiddled round with linux a little but know little in commands.

Right now, we are limited to a certain amount of desktops.

xfce, lxde and lxqt are usable but I have never got them to work.

I almost got ciniman to work but not properly.

Unity does work as does gnome 2 classic and gnome shell.

The biggest issue right now is that anything above gnome2 is a no go.

Its not helped that some in the community are no goes for support and don't want even suggestions.

There are a lot of devs that don't want help because they know best so it never improves.

For myself, having used vmware machines, while I was able to blunder about, because of what I do generally and because of what I own, I can't see myself ever switching to linux full time, unless I get a bigger desk or bigger room to run a dedicated box with linux.

Now I do have 1 such box that has win7 on it right now and could be used.

Sadly I'd need to either use dvds or cds with it and I can't justify leaving it active all the time and in position.

Since vmware workstation 16 completely stuffed up windows keyboard on install requiring a system restore and almost a complete reformat and since to be honest I only blundered about the last year I have decided not only to not renew my vmware licence but to go back on using vmware at all on my primary system.

To top it all off, with it gone performance has gone up on the system and so I will not put it back on.

Maybe after my next reformat I may reconcidder it but who am I kidding here.

I have blundered about in all there is to see as a demo.

Back in university I doodled with linux but never really got into it as an actual os only as a toy.

I think if I try again, I will be using a real pc or a pi and if I do that I need to pick and stick with 1 distribution.

If I have to choose after a lot of fiddling, mint will probably be it though I like the arch/mandriva concept of roling release.

I technically do have room for a desktop and I guess I could run linux on this but I probably won't.

After vmware doing what it did to my system I have gone off the idea of trying to fiddle with virtual machine software.

I'd like to try virtual box or maybe a portable virtual machine software which does not interact with and potentially mess up windows on my primary system like vmware did.

I may have not installed or updated an enhanced keyboard driver but its a checkbox I didn't click and it made all the difference.

Even though my system supports it the amount of performance I got back from removing it has convinced me otherwise.

At any rate I don't have the room on my data drives to run a virtual so I'd need a dedicated customised system with the right software.

Either that or a way to multiboot a system with multiple drives to handle things.

On 12/10/2020 1:36 pm, Ian Blackburn wrote:

Hi Linux can be used by totally blind people using Orca screen reader under gnome desktop. I have not been able to work out Linux though because there are no effective audio tutorials for Linux gnome desktop like ones for say JAWS for windows or ?NVDA training modules. The problem is the cognitive load for someone who has to work out how to use the operating system at the same time as learning how to use the screen reader. It is a bit of a chicken and egg thing. You can’t learn how to use the operating system without some basic knowledge of the screen reader.

A person needs step by step ways to manage files and look on the internet so they can read the help documents or play the podcasts they want to listen to in order to get more than the basics out of the computer. I did teach myself Mac OSX and although not an expert can use the Mac for various tasks.

Regards
Ian

On 12/10/2020 8:06 am, mk360 wrote:

Regards,,

mk.

Hello,

Greetings,

Wolfram

> Hello All,

> wrong place.

> Many thanks,

> Carlos

>

Gentlemen,

Linux has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with NVDA.  NVDA does not exist in a version that runs under that operating system.

Linux is a major player in data centers, yet, after decades of everyone saying that Linux for home users/small business users is inevitable, it hasn't been.

So, bring this back in to some relationship with NVDA as the topic originally had, or it will be locked shortly.  If you want to discuss Linux, the Chat Subgroup or elsewhere is the place for that, NOT here.

--

~ Kelley Boorn