Topics

Tree View Lost in the Forest.

Martin McCormick

This is all taking place with Windows10 and a recent
version of nvda.

I am attempting to run software that programs a brand of
portable two-way radio with operating frequencies and other
information the radios need to do useful work.

When running the software under Windows10, the first
thing one hears after the program starts is the words "Tree View."

More often than not, it is very tough to make anything
else happen. One can press the 5 key on the number pad when
Numlock is off and also hear "Tree View" there but most of the
keyboard just dies although nvda echos the key presses so the
system is processing the scan codes. They just don't do anything
much. Forget the usual up and down arrows and Tab presses.

It's just try this and press that and on odd occasions,
the tree view opens and one can hear the various headings inside.

You can also hear them if you randomly move the mouse and
happen to collide with the right portion of the screen but oddly
enough, clicking either mouse button only occasionally yields
something.

Usually, the amount of fiddling is so great that I am not
sure exactly what opened the tree view but when it is open, Up,
Down, Left and Right arrows collapse and expand certain fields so
things are not totally dead.

It is as if the writers of this rotten code left out
whatever standard structures exist these days to make most
software accessible.

I can get the name of the software if anybody wants to
play with it as it is a free download from the Radiodity web site
and it appears to startup and run even if you do not have one of
the radios connected to your computer but there probably is a
specific deficiency that many different applications have that
this whole syndrome describes so I am hoping there is some way to
beat this monster in to submission as I have one of the radios
that needs programming and my worst fears seem to be validated.

One person suggested I need a popular Windows screen
reader along with some add-on scripts that should make it work.
It probably would work but spending $1200 to program 1
seventy-five-Dollar radio is ludicrous. One can find somebody else
to do it but we amateur radio operators constantly are changing
things so it is important to be able to do this one's self.

Any constructive suggestions are welcome.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ

Martin,

         Having the program name, and a download link if it's freeware, would be most helpful for any assistant.  One generally has to play with the actual software to determine anything meaningful when it's odd stuff such as this.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Gene

You can use JAWS as a demo and that may be enough for your purpose.  I see no reason for not calling something what it is.

If you can program whatever you need to program within forty minutes, your problem will be solved.

Also, there may be someone who would write scripts for NVDA to deal with this problem at some point.

You also might be able to figure out, if structures are accessible in JAWS, what steps to take to make NVDA see them.

Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 12:13 PM
Subject: [nvda] Tree View Lost in the Forest.

"Brian Vogel" <@britechguy> writes:
Martin,

Having the program name, and a download link if it's freeware, would be
most helpful for any assistant. One generally has to play with the
actual software to determine anything meaningful when it's odd stuff such
as this.
Certainly. Here is a link which will lead you to a zip archiv.

https://gd-77.s3.amazonaws.com/GD-77S%20Firmware%20V1.3.0%20%26%20Software%20V1.1.10_20190712.zip

This is not a particularly dangerous zip file but unpack it
somewhere you feel comfortable with it.

It will produce two directories, one with firmware in
it's name and the other with program in it's name.

We're interested in the program directory.

You must run the setup and it will install gd-77S which
is the program.

Always be careful with this kind of software, but unless you have
a radio connected to one of your usb ports, it's not likely to do
anything bad.

I got the same screens when the radio was not connected
so you don't need it to play with the program.

Thanks very much.

Martin WB5AGZ

Kevin Cussick

Hi, I am not going to be of to much help really, but I have 2 of said radio's and seem to remember that the Cps software was not very accessible using nvda. I just get a mate to program the radio up. don't really like the handset.