Topics

trouble switching to basic mode in Gmail

Dan Beaver

I switched to standard mode so I could try to delete thousands of old emails.  Once I was done with that I tried to switch back to basic mode but couldn't find the place to do so.  How do we do this using NVDA?  There doesn't seem to be anything that NVDA can see to do this.

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Once I had that problem and I found the button to switch by pressing
tab+space bar and then tab or shift+tab to find the button to switch
back to basic html.

On 11/13/20, Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@gmail.com> wrote:
I switched to standard mode so I could try to delete thousands of old
emails.  Once I was done with that I tried to switch back to basic mode but
couldn't find the place to do so.  How do we do this using NVDA?  There
doesn't seem to be anything that NVDA can see to do this.

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified

Laz

Normally there's a link at the top of the page that says Basic HTML
view however at times, it doesn't show up. Just refresh the page as
many times as necessary until it shows up, Usually it only takes a
couple of refreshes.

Stay safe,

Laz

On 11/13/20, Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@gmail.com> wrote:
I switched to standard mode so I could try to delete thousands of old
emails. Once I was done with that I tried to switch back to basic mode but
couldn't find the place to do so. How do we do this using NVDA? There
doesn't seem to be anything that NVDA can see to do this.

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

It is at the very top of the page, the first line. At least that's where I see a button that says Basic HTML View using Chrome. My experience, however, is that this button doesn't work reliably to change the view when you open the web page again. If I switch to standard view, I have to press the button every time I open the web page. I don't know if others have that experience and I think I've seen instances where that isn't necessary, but you may find it so, based on my experience.

Once I had that problem and I found the button to switch by pressing
tab+space bar and then tab or shift+tab to find the button to switch
back to basic html.

On 11/13/20, Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@gmail.com> wrote:
I switched to standard mode so I could try to delete thousands of old
emails. Once I was done with that I tried to switch back to basic mode but
couldn't find the place to do so. How do we do this using NVDA? There
doesn't seem to be anything that NVDA can see to do this.

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@gmail.com

gene, yes, i had the problem which you mentioned.
i asked one of my relatives to do this for me.

[...]

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Dan Beaver

Using Firefox I do not see the button/link at all.  Even if I do a screen search it doesn't come up with a hit.

I used to have basic mode as my default before I did this clean up activity but now it always comes up in standard mode.  I thought there was a choice in settings for making it always basic mode but I have searched through settings and can't find that either.

When I did a google search I found a page that talks about it but only gives 2 links, one for using standard mode and the other for using basic mode.  It doesn't save this change at all, you have to use them every time if you go to that page.

This is getting super frustrating.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 11/13/2020 10:10 AM, Gene wrote:
It is at the very top of the page, the first line.  At least that's where I see a button that says Basic HTML View using Chrome.  My experience, however, is that this button doesn't work reliably to change the view when you open the web page again.  If I switch to standard view, I have to press the button every time I open the web page.  I don't know if others have that experience and I think I've seen instances where that isn't necessary, but you may find it so, based on my experience.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Nevzat Adil
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

On 11/13/20, Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@...> wrote:
I switched to standard mode so I could try to delete thousands of old
emails.  Once I was done with that I tried to switch back to basic mode but
couldn't find the place to do so.  How do we do this using NVDA?  There
doesn't seem to be anything that NVDA can see to do this.

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

I said that the button is at the top of the page. At times, you won't see something in browse mode or the virtual pc cursor, whatever your browser calls it. Go to the top of the page, turn it off, and shift tab two or three times. You will see the button.

If you don't see something you should and its something you can tab to like an edit field, a button, etc. turn off the virtual pc cursor or browse mode and look

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

On 11/13/20, Dan Beaver mailto:dbeaver888@gmail.com wrote:
I switched to standard mode so I could try to delete thousands of old
emails. Once I was done with that I tried to switch back to basic mode but
couldn't find the place to do so. How do we do this using NVDA? There
doesn't seem to be anything that NVDA can see to do this.

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

Yep, turning browse mode off does indeed let me see the button.  However, in Firefox it takes quite a few shift-tabs to get to it.  It isn't very convenient at all.

I appreciate your help though.

Sure wish I could turn it on permanently though.

Dan Beaver

----Original Message----- From: Dan Beaver

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

On 11/13/20, Dan Beaver mailto:dbeaver888@... wrote:
I switched to standard mode so I could try to delete thousands of old
emails.  Once I was done with that I tried to switch back to basic mode but
couldn't find the place to do so.  How do we do this using NVDA?  There
doesn't seem to be anything that NVDA can see to do this.

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

I had to refresh the page when I was playing with this after I sent my message. Another list member said that you have to refresh the page sometimes. Its much more convenient to use a Chrome-based browser such as Chrome or Brave or Edge if you want to have easy access to the button. I have Firefox on my machine in case it works better on this or that site, but my experience is that, in general, Chrome-based browsers crash less and work better with screen-readers when moving through text. Sometimes, on The New York Times page, when I move by headings to move from article to article, there are movement problems where you try to move but stay where you are instead. I haven't played to see if this is common, there may be something about that site, but regardless, Chrome browsers work better with screen-readers.

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
This is getting super frustrating.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Once I had that problem and I found the button to switch by pressing
tab+space bar and then tab or shift+tab to find the button to switch
back to basic html.

On 11/13/20, Dan Beaver mailto:dbeaver888@gmail.com wrote:
I switched to standard mode so I could try to delete thousands of old
emails. Once I was done with that I tried to switch back to basic mode but
couldn't find the place to do so. How do we do this using NVDA? There
doesn't seem to be anything that NVDA can see to do this.

Thanks.

-- Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Laz

Why don't you navigate by buttons instead of just tabbing and shift tabbing?

To make it the default look for the link that says somehting like make
basic.html the default view which is close to the top of the page.

Laz

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
[...]

Arlene

Confirmed. I’ve done this with both Jaws and NVDA. Not at once. I did use them both one at a time. Gene’s right. It is usually the first link you see. With my old windows 7 I had to refresh the page a bunch of times.  Jaws 14 sometimes did not work well on the gmail site. I used the whatever version of NVDA to get the job done.  Now with windows ten I can use either one.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

Nevzat Adil

Library of Congress Certified

Literary Braille Proofreader

C: 512 502 4403

e-mail: nevzatadil@...

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I had the same problem after my service provider migrated their service over to the Google platform, even after I'd activated the "Set Basic HTML as default" link.  I'm using Microsoft Edge.  I talked to my service provider's Technical Support department, and they sent me a link that tells the server to load Basic HTML as the default.  I've posted it below my name.  I hope this helps.

Louise

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/

Kerryn Gunness

it is best with chrome

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
This is getting super frustrating.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Once I had that problem and I found the button to switch by pressing
tab+space bar and then tab or shift+tab to find the button to switch
back to  basic html.

On 11/13/20, Dan Beaver mailto:dbeaver888@... wrote:
I switched to standard mode so I could try to delete thousands of old
emails.  Once I was done with that I tried to switch back to basic mode but
couldn't find the place to do so.  How do we do this using NVDA?  There
doesn't seem to be anything that NVDA can see to do this.

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Arlene

I’m using Chrome right now. Been using it since I got this windows ten box.  Gmail works better with it.