trouble with speech when selecting text

JinYoun

Hi, I'm not sure when this behavior started, but when I select text by pressing shift plus the arrow keys, NVDA will read out all of the slected content instead of each character I'm selecting, which is very confusing for me. Is there a way to have NVDA just read out the character I've just selected instead of everything that has been selected?
Thank you

Sarah k Alawami

I'm also having this issue. I thought it was my synth, eloquence. Can this be rfeproduced with the other synths out there?

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

On 14 Oct 2021, at 9:47, JinYoun wrote:

Hi, I'm not sure when this behavior started, but when I select text by pressing shift plus the arrow keys, NVDA will read out all of the slected content instead of each character I'm selecting, which is very confusing for me. Is there a way to have NVDA just read out the character I've just selected instead of everything that has been selected?
Thank you

Quentin Christensen

The usual questions:

Have you restarted the PC recently (and especially since updating NVDA or anything else)?

Are you using any add-ons? If so, does restarting NVDA with them disabled make a difference?

What programs are you experiencing this in? If word etc, have you changed the advanced setting for using UIA?

I tried just now with NVDA 2021.2 and it behaves as expected in office 365 word and notepad (reading the newly selected text).

Quentin

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021, 7:42 am Sarah k Alawami, <marrie12@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi, I've noticed this happening on the groups.io site when I'm replying to a message. I thought this happened in other places too but cannot remember exactly where else this happened for sure. I shut down my pc every night and restarting NVDA with add-on gives me same behavior.
Thanks

Surendra JUJJAVARAPU

Hello team ,

 Greetings to you ,

I also faced this type of experience only in Google Chrome with NVDA latest version and Google Chrome latest version. I didn't find this type of issue in Firefox browser .

Regards ,
Surendra.

Quentin Christensen

Could someone experiencing it please see if you can capture me an NVDA log, ideally at debug level, and even more ideally, with add-ons disabled (and send offlist):

Could you get me a copy of your NVDA log to have a look at please, ideally at debug level?
Please send it attached to an email to info@....  Include a description of what you have done and what isn't working as it should (so I know what it's about in case I don't get to investigate today).

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever causes problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.log (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager