Topics

Tutorials for sighted users.

Wasn't sure if this should go in the chat subgroup, but I am looking for tutorials geared towards sighted users of NVDA? I have many sighted people wanting to test with it, but they can't grasp the concept of keyboard navigation. They're still using the mouse to interact. Also, they are tabbing everywhere. Is there a tutorial for testers?

Not that I'm aware of.  But I can give some useful input.

Make certain that they have the latest version of NVDA and that they have gone into NVDA settings, Vision, and turned Focus Highlight, with all its options, on.  This is the easiest way for a sighted person not only to know what has focus, but what state NVDA is in on the object with focus.  If they need to, they should print out a brief cheat sheet as to what the outline colors and styles tell them about NVDA state at that moment.

I'm not quite sure which aspect of keyboard navigation you're trying to get someone to "get the hang of," but if it's quick navigation in web browsing the easiest way I've found to do that is to make the tester aware that the capability exists and give them the section from the documentation with those single key commands, and, if possible, walk them through using the most common ones on a web page or two that's fairly typical.  Things like Google Search results, using the H shortcut to move from returned item to returned item, rather than L (which will involve other links not of interest), is a good way to give a brief introduction and to show how those two differ from one another in practice.

Speaking strictly from my own experience in learning screen readers, period, the only way is to play with them and, if possible, with a bit of initial guidance (which I really didn't have) from someone who actually uses one to get across the basics of what one does day to day, and how.  It need not be a long intro, but brute force TABbing around tends to be the navigation of choice only because it's most easily stumbled upon (and it's grossly inefficient).  The web browsing single key navigation shortcuts are very easy to pick up on and use if you are made aware they are there, and someone shows you, when you need to do a "massive jump" from wherever you might be to a button, or checkbox, or whatever, that this can be achieved with much greater ease using those shortcuts than many, many hits of TAB.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Robert

Not that I am aware of apart from the stuff I have written.

Would it be more web based? or on the desk top?

I can put some thing together for the sighted then later on post it on the website of mine for every one.

I have done some thing similar for a dyslexic people but in that case pointed towards the mouse and reading  what is under it which can be toggled with a shortcut now.

There are probably already parts up there that I can use for it.

Is it more based at what a sighted person sees on screen like a trainer or say testing a website etc?

Gene nz

On 31/07/2020 3:18 am, Robert Kingett wrote:

Wasn't sure if this should go in the chat subgroup, but I am looking for tutorials geared towards sighted users of NVDA? I have many sighted people wanting to test with it, but they can't grasp the concept of keyboard navigation. They're still using the mouse to interact. Also, they are tabbing everywhere. Is there a tutorial for testers?

In my particular case, it is mainly web developers that want to do manual testing with NVDA. I have some casual friends that want to learn, out of curiosity, but mostly, it's web developers.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Robert

With out putting any thing together the following page will help the web developer from web aim.

The link to this page is https://webaim.org/articles/nvda/

I can also put together more info on a page like turning on the focus high lighter etc and also link to this page. Even though it is not updated it is still relevant for testing a website with NVDA.

I think there is also a link on mmy website to this same page.

I will see what I come up with later on today..

Gene nz

On 31/07/2020 10:40 am, Robert Kingett wrote:

In my particular case, it is mainly web developers that want to do manual testing with NVDA. I have some casual friends that want to learn, out of curiosity, but mostly, it's web developers.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Robert

I put together a tutorial for sighted users of NVDa more for a web developer etc It is a rough draft and the ones with the * next to it is a heading for the section below.

Not sure how much info to put in? or leave out but then again that is what a draft is.

It when tidied up more might go up on the website of mine.

*Tutorials for a sighted person to learn NVDA

*What is a screen reader?

A "screen reader" is the generic term for a program that helps blind people use a computer. Simply put, a screen reader will "read" (speak) the content of a page to the blind user.

*Where do you go to download a free screen reader

You will need to go to the following website at http://www.nvaccess.org then locate the downloads page. Here you will find the latest version of the NVDA screen reader.
After it has been down loaded to your computer locate the file and click on it, a musical sound will be heard. You will see in front of you documentation that can be read then agreed to. You will then be given 3 options, one to install NVDA to your computer, the second to make a portable copy and the third to run a tempory copy of NVDA with out installing it to your computer. Choose the first option and follow the directions to install it to your computer. If a UAC screen comes up just use the ALT key + Y key to say yes to it so it can be installed to the computer.

*Keys to start, exit and also go into the settings of NVDA

To start your copy of NVDA if it is not running use the ALT key + CTRL key + the letter N
To go into the settings of NVDA use the NVDA key + the letter N. When the preferences menu comes up arrow or click on the settings menu to open it. Here you can make changes like speeding up or slowing down how fast NVDA speaks etc.
Under the HELP section is where you will find the user guide.
To turn off NVDA use the NVDA key + the letter Q. Either tab or click on the ok button to close it. You might of noticed depending what option is shown the default is set to exit NVDA.
* NVDA modifier keys

Where I refer to the NVDA key this is a modifier key which can either be the caps lock key, the insert key or the extended insert key. You would use one of these you chose to close NVDA for example insert key + the letter Q.

*Some keys you will use

Depending if you are testing NVDA either on a desk top progrogram or on the web the keys used will be keyboard based.

In most cases on the Desk top you will use the ENTER key to go into a program, the tab key,  sometimes to jump into a section and the shift/tab key, to jump back out of itthe arrow keys not on the numeric keypad, to navigate the Desk top and menus, the ALT key to bring up a file menu and the ALT key + F4 key to close a program or page.
The following sections in the user guide might help you called objects, navigating with the system focus and navigating with the system caret along with the focus high lighter feature in NVA to know where you are on the Desk top or web page.

There are different keys that are used on a web page to quickly navigate a web site in browse mode these are known as single letter navigation keys which can be found in the NVDA user guide. Some people will refer to these as quick navigation keys on a web page that NVDA can use.
.

*Focus high lighter in NVDA

If you are a sighted developer or trainer and you want to see what NVDA is talking at that time you can turn on the focus high lighter in NVDA To turn it on you will need to have NVDA running, then press the NVDA key + the letter N. When the preferences menu comes up, locate the settings menu wither either the arrow keys or mouse. If using the arrow keys press the ENTER key on the settings menu. Here you will see different sections come up. Locate the vision section of NVDA in most cases you would use your arrow keys or a sighted person would click on it.
If using the arrow keys after you have found the vision section just use the tab key. You will be given different options such as Enable Highlighting, Highlight system focus, Highlight navigator object and Highlight browse mode cursor.
You will need to check the box on the option you want to use.
To find out more on what they do when checked or un checked please read the user guide under the help section of NVDA. You will need to locate the vision and the Focus Highlight section in the user guide where you can find out more on what they do.
This might be while on a website or on the desk top.

*Turning off NVDA from speaking what it is focused on

If you are a sighted developer and do not want to hear NVDA speak what it is doing you can turn off the speech in NVDA. Press the NVDA key + the letter S and toggle it until you hear NVDA say ssspeech mode off. The other alternative is just mute the speaker in |Windows or just turn them off.
If you want to hear NVDA speak again just repeat the process until you hear NVDA say speech mode talk.
*Speech Viewer
For sighted software developers or people demoing NVDA to sighted audiences, a floating window is available that allows you to view all the text that NVDA is currently speaking.
To enable the speech viewer, check the "Speech Viewer" menu item under Tools in the NVDA menu. Uncheck the menu item to disable it.
To find out more about the speech viewer please see the section called speech viewer in the user guide.

*Testing your website with NVDA

Visually impaired and blind people do not use a mouse on a website but in the case the only option is using a keyboard. NVDA has quick navigation keys that you can use to navigate a web site. You should be able to use any supported browser that NVDA can use. for example Google Chrome, The new Microsoft Edge, fire Fox and many other chromium based browsers.

Depending how you are going to test your web page locate the page you want to test and make sure NVDA is focused insside of that page. You can use the CTRL key + HOME key to go to the top of the page.

There are many quick navigation keys that NVDA can use on a website but the most common ones used are H for headings, B for buttons, L for lists, • t: for table, F for form field, E for edit field, C for combo box, R for radio button, D or landmark.
Pressing one of those letters while in browse mode on a web page will take you down by say H for headings down the page while adding a shift key with that same letter H for will take you back up the page by headings.

For a complete list of quick navigation keys that can be used with NVDA while on a web page please see the section  called Single Letter Navigation in the user guide.

*Hearing the difference between browse mode and focus mode with NVDA

When you go to test your web page with NVDA you can either hear 2 different sounds. One sound will be when it goes to browse mode and the other to focus mode. If you want to hear it spoken use the NVDA key +CTRL key + the letter B. When the browse mode settings dialogue comes up locate the section called Audio indication of focus and browse modes and un check that box then apply  and ok the changes. Now yoou should hear NVDA say browse mode where the quick navigation keys can be used to navigate a web page quickly in browse mode and focus mode where you can type into a editable area.

You can force NVDA to change between these 2 modes. Use the NVDA key + space bar to do this.

The following web page by Web Aim called WebAIM: Using NVDA to Evaluate Web Accessibility may help you to use NVDA on a web page and go more into dept  on other ways you can imporive your web page for accessibility.
The link to this page is https://webaim.org/articles/nvda/

* Using the say all command to read a web page

You might want to hear your web page read out by NVDA and while in browse mode you can use the following keys the first option is for a desktop user and the second for a lap top user.
Say all commands can also be used on a document.

Say all
NVDA+downArrow
NVDA+a
Starts reading from the current position of the system caret, moving it along as it goes