Topics

Two NVDA Questions

Pele West

Hi Everyone

I have two separate NVDA questions, so apologise for the less than
helpful subject line.

1. Is there a way of getting NVDA to redraw the screen, or rather to get
it to check the screen again? This was possible in Window-Eyes (which I
know I should not mention), but I am using it so people know what I am
trying to do.

2. Is there a way to get NVDA to display the value of the character
under the cursor? In days gone by they were ASCII values, but I suspect
they will be UTF8 now?

Thanks

Pele West

Sam Taylor

I can answer your second question.

Pressing NVDA + dot, or numpad 2 if using desktop layout, reports the character of the current navigator object.Pressing the key combination 3 times will give you the ascii and hexidecimal value.

On 27/10/2020 7:55 pm, Pele West wrote:

Hi Everyone

I have two separate NVDA questions, so apologise for the less than
helpful subject line.

1. Is there a way of getting NVDA to redraw the screen, or rather to get
it to check the screen again? This was possible in Window-Eyes (which I
know I should not mention), but I am using it so people know what I am
trying to do.

2. Is there a way to get NVDA to display the value of the character
under the cursor? In days gone by they were ASCII values, but I suspect
they will be UTF8 now?

Thanks

Pele West

Ralf Kefferpuetz

And I answer the first question. NVDA-F5 refreshes the browser buffer.

[...]

Vaibhav Saraf

Hi Sam,

Thanks for that info. Recently I was getting confused between *v* and *b* announcement. Pressing the combination twice helped me in the case.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 15:48, Sam Taylor via groups.io <samtaylor9=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Hi Sam

Thanks. There is always something new to learn.

Pele

Pele West

Hi Ralf

Thanks so much.

Pele

Sarah k Alawami

For your first question it's nvda plus f5 per the manual. At least it is for the laptop function. Dunno about desktop keystrokes.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 05:55 AM, Pele West wrote:
This was possible in Window-Eyes (which I know I should not mention), but I am using it so people know what I am trying to do.
-
And, for the record, there is absolutely, positively nothing wrong with doing this.  The idea is to avoid long discussions of either out-of-support software or other screen readers, but the use of something for an, "I can do {action} this way with {insert screen reader, living or dead, here}, but can I do it with NVDA?," question is completely legitimate.

Questions of that form could not be about anything except how to use NVDA, which is dead-on topic for this group.  The use of other screen readers for comparison and/or contrast and/or clarification of intent is not forbidden, and never has been.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

Regarding a comparison with Window-eyes and JAWS, my recollection is that redraw screen commands in those screen-readers worked anywhere.  In NVDA, the command only works in browse mode.  Does it matter?  Should this be addressed on Github?

Gene

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 11:39 AM, Gene wrote:
Does it matter?  Should this be addressed on Github?
-
I'd say if it matters to you (any you), at the very least you should look in the NVDA GitHub Issues Page (after having set yourself up with a GitHub Account and access to the NVAccess/NVDA project in your account) to see if an issue already exists.  If it does, add a comment, and if it doesn't, and this is important to you, create a new bug report.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

I have an account. I'll see if I can find anything.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 11:39 AM, Gene wrote:
Does it matter? Should this be addressed on Github?-
I'd say if it matters to you (any you), at the very least you should look in the NVDA GitHub Issues Page (after having set yourself up with a GitHub Account and access to the NVAccess/NVDA project in your account) to see if an issue already exists. If it does, add a comment, and if it doesn't, and this is important to you, create a new bug report.

~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

For clarification, it should be pointed out that you don't need an account to search for and read issues on Github. You can't comment without an account.

I used Google to search for discussion of the question I asked and found nothing. You can search Github if you do a properly worded Google search.

It may not matter that refresh screen is limited to browse mode but I wonder if there are times when refreshing the screen elsewhere would be beneficial.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:46 PM, Gene wrote:
For clarification, it should be pointed out that you don't need an account to search for and read issues on Github. You can't comment without an account.
-
Yup, and sorry for creating the impression you couldn't view without one.  And if you want to view, the page to do that is:  https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

But if you want to be able to comment on existing issues (bug reports) or Feature Requests, or want to be able to create either of those for the folks at NVAccess, you do have to have a GitHub Account.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Pele West

Hi Gene

I was rather hoping that there might be a key to refresh the screen in
all situations.

I use MS Office 2010 and do a lot of work using VBA. When using the VBA
Editor NVDA often misses out lines of code, particularly if you cursor
down through the code and then cursor up again. I have not found an easy
way of focussing on these lines that does not involve going to the top
or bottom of the program and losing my place.

I don't know if a key to refresh the screen would solve this, but I
thought it was worth finding out.

JAWS and Window-Eyes do not miss out these lines of code.

It may be that I should get a later version of MSOffice, but I am
interested in why these lines of code are sometimes missed out.

Pele West

Ralf Kefferpuetz

NVDA can't do that refresh screen thing as Window-Eyes and other SR can do, because NVDA isn't using a mirrow display
driver to access the screen content.
If you have an example Excel file with VBA code where you can't read reliable the lines of code please send it to me
privatly and I can verify if I can reproduce it with Office 365.

Regards,
Ralf

I was rather hoping that there might be a key to refresh the screen in all situations.

I use MS Office 2010 and do a lot of work using VBA. When using the VBA Editor NVDA often misses out lines of code,
particularly if you cursor down through the code and then cursor up again. I have not found an easy way of focussing on
these lines that does not involve going to the top or bottom of the program and losing my place.

I don't know if a key to refresh the screen would solve this, but I thought it was worth finding out.

JAWS and Window-Eyes do not miss out these lines of code.

It may be that I should get a later version of MSOffice, but I am interested in why these lines of code are sometimes
missed out.

Pele West

Chris Mullins

Hi Pele

The focus issue with the VBA editor is long-standing.  I used to use it with Office 2007 and raised it on a few occasions on the list but got no responses.  It got to the point where I used to use Notepad to code macros then copy and paste them into the VBA modules for compilation.  It drove me mad.

Cheers

Chris