ui automation

farhan israk

What is ui automation? How does effect it affect our daily life?

Quentin Christensen

Good question!

Basically UI Automation, or UIA, is one way NVDA uses to get information from programs, Previously this has been an option available for Microsoft Word documents (this also includes email message bodies in Outlook because of the way Outlook presents messages).  In NVDA 2021.1 we've added the ability to use UI Automation to access Excel as well.

In some cases, using UIA can give more information about a document than IA2 or other methods NVDA uses internally to find out about documents, the formatting, where the caret is, etc.  In other cases, there may not be as much information available.  Choosing a method to use is a little like picking whether to use Microsoft Word or LibreOffice Writer - you have to use all the features of one - you can't use the best bits of both.

NVDA does not use UIA for Word or Excel by default, but the options are available in NVDA's advanced settings.  In some cases it can be worth trying them if something is not working in Word (or Excel), but if you are unsure, ask here or ask us at info@...

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Monte Single

I just asked my google assistant what u I automation is.

It replied;  “u I automation is the successor to  micro so accessibility.”

I’m sure if you put the term in your favourite search engine,  you would get some real details.ft active

What is ui automation? How does effect it affect our daily life?

Monte Single

That should have read;

The successor to micro soft active accessibility.

I just asked my google assistant what u I automation is.

It replied;  “u I automation is the successor to  micro so accessibility.”

I’m sure if you put the term in your favourite search engine,  you would get some real details.ft active

What is ui automation? How does effect it affect our daily life?

Sean Murphy

Each operating system has an accessibility framework or API where assistive technology and application  use this framework  to provide a person information on the label, state, value and role of components within the program.   For example, when you’re in an application and you hear okay button. The application could be using the accessibility framework to give you the information via your preferred screen reader such as NVDA.

The original version of this technology was introduced into thousand approximately, called MSAA   All browsers use the UIA framework.  This framework provides a lot of properties which  screen readers do not utilise

Note, on the Mac platform if an application doesn’t use their version of the accessibility framework then you cannot use the application. This applies on their mobile platform as well. Windows luckily you can get around this issue with such programs like NVDa and jaws   Not all applications on the window platform uses this technology either. Some applications that do use don’t necessarily use it correctly either.

Sean

My experience is the part