unable to disable add ons for a given config profile?

Sarah k Alawami

I know this is going to be odd, but can I disable add ons for a given profile? I am playing a game where speech history review needs to be disabled. If I disable it in my game profile, I set up for nvda, it gets disabled for my normal profile as well. Is this a bug, I’m using Nonvisual Desktop Access (NVDA)?

Version: 2020.4 and Windows 10 20H2 (64-bit) build 19042.867. I’m also having some other issues which have cropped up, but I’ll take care of those later.

Take care all.

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

Andre Fisher

Hi.

This is currently not possible, and it's not a bug. Your best solution is to reassign the gestures for the add-on until such functionality is possible. I don't even know why the add-on author didn't use shortcuts with the NVDA modifier key as opposed to Shift+F11, Shift+F12 and F12. Doing it this way will ensure that the shortcuts won't conflict with those used by application.

I assigned mine to Alt+NVDA+Up and Down Arrow for the  speech history, and NVDA+Alt+Period to copy the last spoken phrase.

Sarah k Alawami

I can’t do that because of the game I play, and the stuff I use. Is there a feature request on github about this. Right now I’m a bit lazy. I can look later when I get on my phone. Besides are not alt shift arrows used to read  stuff in windows if I recall? When I do that I hear “move below and move above” I’ll look at maybe reassigning those until you can disable addons in a config profile.

This is currently not possible, and it's not a bug. Your best solution is to reassign the gestures for the add-on until such functionality is possible. I don't even know why the add-on author didn't use shortcuts with the NVDA modifier key as opposed to Shift+F11, Shift+F12 and F12. Doing it this way will ensure that the shortcuts won't conflict with those used by application.

I assigned mine to Alt+NVDA+Up and Down Arrow for the  speech history, and NVDA+Alt+Period to copy the last spoken phrase.

g melconian

Ok, this makes sense.

[...]

I don’t see how not having this feature makes sense, but ok? I’ll write up the report on my phone later today and see where it goes.

Happy Monday all.

[...]

Tyler Spivey

You can go into the Input Gestures dialog and reassign any key you want.
Simply go in and redefine the speech history keys to use the NVDA modifier and some other keys.

On 4/12/2021 10:56 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
[...]

Oh, the nvda modifier has to be included when reassigning the gestures? I have not had a need to go in there, until today. I'll play with it maybe after work or so as that is coming up in a few hours and I kind of need to be ready.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 02:33 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Oh, the nvda modifier has to be included when reassigning the gestures?
-
No.  That's just what Mr. Spivey chose.

I just went in and added CTRL+F9 and then promptly deleted it.  It's the first time I've ever tweaked an input gesture (keyboard shortcut to the rest of the world) within NVDA itself.  I had not realized you can't edit the existing one.  You must add a new one, then the original and the new one will both work if you keep both, but after you add the new one you remove the existing one if you don't want it.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Sarah k Alawami

Yep. I deleted the one I wanted, added the one  I wanted and it should work. A note to self though, if you disable the add on, the input gesture for that add on will not show up. It took me about 15 minutes to figure that one out.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 02:33 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Oh, the nvda modifier has to be included when reassigning the gestures?

-
No.  That's just what Mr. Spivey chose.

I just went in and added CTRL+F9 and then promptly deleted it.  It's the first time I've ever tweaked an input gesture (keyboard shortcut to the rest of the world) within NVDA itself.  I had not realized you can't edit the existing one.  You must add a new one, then the original and the new one will both work if you keep both, but after you add the new one you remove the existing one if you don't want it.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Luke Davis

The gesture is only there, if the add-on is there to create it. When you have the add-on disabled, it isn't there to create the gesture.

Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Yep. I deleted the one I wanted, added the one  I wanted and it should work. A note to self though, if you disable the add on, the input gesture for that
add on will not show up. It took me about 15 minutes to figure that one out.

Sarah k Alawami

Yep, makes sense. It doned on me then. Lol!

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

look at maybe reassigning those until you can disable addons in a config profile.
For the record (Joseph could speak much better about this), that seems very unlikely to happen, and certainly not any time soon.
Some major portions of NVDA would have to be rewritten to facilitate it, and there just isn't that kind of demand. Or, perhaps more accurately, there are lots of things that are in much higher demand.

Now, I could see profile based gesture maps coming much sooner, which may solve the kind of problem you are trying to address. Although I don't know of any work currently being done in that area.

If you want that, comment about it here please: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/8123

Luke

"In this life there are obstacles, and forces who overcome obstacles. You can be either one or the other.
If you refuse to even try to clear an obstacle, you become the obstacle."
- Joel Shepherd

Hi,
It is possible to let add-ons detect profile switches and "disable"
themselves if a different app is in use (it requires add-ons to listen to
config profile switched action and respond by removing/assigning gestures on
the fly; it may not work for custom gestures). In reality, you are not
making add-ons disable themselves completely - you are effectively going to
let add-ons tell NVDA that they don't want to respond to hotkeys as long as
you are focused in a specific window. Python doesn't have a facility to
arbitrarily unload modules once imported.
Right now NV Access and several testers are trying to resolve a really
critical issue for SAPI4 synthesizer users. Specifically, NVDA crashes if
trying to use SAPI4 synthesizers. Hopefully it can be resolved before 2021.1
beta is released, but if not, one of the following could happen:
* NVDA may need to use older and thus quite insecure version of Python
(Python 3.7 has entered security fixes mode, so only source code releases
will be made), and this is based on a dump analysis from Mick Curran from NV
Access who noted that this issue is specific to Python 3.8 and later.
* It appears the issue might be something to do with a library Python uses,
and if yes, we need to talk to Python core developers so they can resolve it
by the time Python 3.10 comes out later this year.
* We may need to say goodbye to built-in support for SAPI4 speech
synthesizers.
I have several NVDA pull requests lined up and/or are undergoing planning
phase, but due to SAPI4 issue and a host of other problems, I have informed
NV Access that I'll target most of my pull requests for 2021.2 or later. Put
it simply, I won't expect Sarah's suggestion to be worked on anytime soon.
Sorry.
Cheers,
Joseph

Joseph Lee wrote:

It is possible to let add-ons detect profile switches and "disable"
themselves if a different app is in use (it requires add-ons to listen to
config profile switched action and respond by removing/assigning gestures on
the fly; it may not work for custom gestures).
That would require each add-on to implement some kind of solution to this. Very fragmentary at best.

After thinking more about this, a possible solution has occurred to me.

Someone could write a "Disable Add-ons in Config Profiles" add-on (perhaps with a better name).

That add-on could listen for profile changes as Joseph described, and if the profile matches something pre-configured, have it look up all of another add-on's gestures, snapshot them, and disable them.

That could be done with manager.userGestureMap.getScriptsForAllGestures (as I do in the Numpad Nav Mode add-on).
Which I think would work fine for custom gestures, unless I'm forgetting something.

Then, on reversion to default or any other profile, reverse the process.

Provide a settings panel which lists available profiles, and gives a selection of add-ons which can be enabled or disabled in it.
(Really, just enabling/disabling their keyboard shortcuts).

I doubt I'd want to see that in core though. It seems as if it might be fragile; but as an add-on I could see it working.

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

That's fine. I don't really mind. Take your time in doing what ever it is you need to do to fix the sapi4 issues, as crashing voices is higher priority in my mind.

Take care all.

Finally, you can support my work on happs, the network of now.