Topics

Unable to update NVDA

fatboytaij12@...

unable to update NVDA

Quentin Christensen

Hi Jonathon,

Can you please give some details about why you are unable to update?  Are you getting an error message (if so, what does it say)?

I downloaded NVDA earlier and it was working then.  It might have been a temporary issue somewhere along the line.  It's worth trying again and then if you still have problems, try to describe exactly what is happening and what response you are getting so we can help.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 12:40 PM Jonathon Rodriguez via Groups.Io <fatboytaij12=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
unable to update NVDA

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Jonathon Rodriguez <fatboytaij12@...>

I get an error message
error message: Internet connection not detected, the NVDA Installer was unable to detect an Internet connection, then it plays the Windows error sound, plays the NVDA descending sounds, and closes its self

On Nov 26, 2019, at 7:44 PM, "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Jonathon,

Can you please give some details about why you are unable to update?  Are you getting an error message (if so, what does it say)?

I downloaded NVDA earlier and it was working then.  It might have been a temporary issue somewhere along the line.  It's worth trying again and then if you still have problems, try to describe exactly what is happening and what response you are getting so we can help.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 12:40 PM Jonathon Rodriguez via Groups.Io <fatboytaij12=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
unable to update NVDA

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Have you blocked NVDA from accessing the internet?

I just installed 2019.1 and updated it to 2019.2.1 without incident.  You could either try again and see if it works this time, or you could download the current version from: https://www.nvaccess.org/download/

Downloading and installing from there will still recognise your previous version and keep your existing settings.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 1:09 PM Jonathon Rodriguez via Groups.Io <fatboytaij12=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

no, Internet access not blocked, NVDA was not blocked from accessing the Internet

On Nov 26, 2019, at 9:22 PM, "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...> wrote:

[...]

Does it work if you try again now?  Or if you download from the site manually?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 2:47 PM Jonathon Rodriguez via Groups.Io <fatboytaij12=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

no

On Nov 26, 2019, at 10:02 PM, "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm happy to try to help you, but a one-word answer to two questions at once isn't as helpful as it could be.

The error you gave isn't one I've seen before - NVDA doesn't need access to the Internet in order to install or run.  It obviously won't be able to check for updates if it can't access the Internet, but aside from that (and the error it gives if you try to manually check for updates is "Error checking for updates" - when it checks automatically each day it doesn't give an error if there is no connection).

If you go to the download's page in your browser and try to download, it will either load the page or not, and then download or give an error.  At this stage, I'm not even sure if you have downloaded an update or where you are at.  All I can tell you is that I've downloaded NVDA several times today to check, both using the update function, and manually, and haven't had any problems with the process.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 3:18 PM Jonathon Rodriguez via Groups.Io <fatboytaij12=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

it didn't work when I tried again using check for updates option

On Nov 26, 2019, at 10:59 PM, "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...> wrote:

[...]

Arlene

Hi there: When I went to check for updates. I was told there was no updates.  Is there a new update? Usually NVDA will say new update available.  I did not get a notification. So I went to the place where it says check for updates. There wasn’t any.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

That explains why I have no update available. I have the latest version.  Thought there was an update.sory about that.

[...]

Ok which version do you both have?  The last regular stable version is 2019.2.1.  Yes, we're normally up to .3 thinking about .4 by now, but with big changes coming in to the next release, we didn't want to rush it just to meet a time frame.

So, if you are running 2019.2.1, then you're on the latest version.  You can also check on the download page: https://www.nvaccess.org/download the first heading tells you the current version.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 5:43 PM Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

[...]

I'am currently using NVDA version 2019.1

On Nov 27, 2019, at 3:42 AM, "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...> wrote:

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Arleen,

I thought there was a new update too but there isn’t. We do have the latest version of NVDA.

Rosemarie

[...]

, that’s why I checked.

[...]

Just FYI, the original poster has "left the building."

Further discussion is for the benefit of whoever else is reading.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Arlene

Sorry Brian:  I did not see the original post.  I was away for a few days.  I thought  there was an update to NVDA when I seen some of the messages that were inquiring about an update.  I’m having slight trouble with windows ten mail.  I don’t see all the messages that are posted. I’m looking into getting another e-mail client.  Due to this minor problem. I missed an event that I was going to attend.  I just now seen the message that was sent days ago.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Just FYI, the original poster has "left the building."

Further discussion is for the benefit of whoever else is reading.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Arlene,

           No problem.  The original poster was a very recent joiner here and left quite quickly.  The only reason I mentioned it is so that anyone extending the discussion believing that they might be answering the original question/fixing the original issue won't have the audience that raised it.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Arlene

Oh okay. No wonder I couldn’t find the original message.  I thought it was due to this windows ten mail. The event I did miss I didn’t care that I missed it!  I didn’t want to go anyway! I’m looking for another e-mail client should I end up gaining employment.