Topics

unlabeled buttons

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Is there anyway in NVDA to label a button that is not labeled? For example, in SPL Creator when adding information to a rotation there are two buttons that are not labeled. I figured out that they are decrease and increase. I would like to label them.

If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sarah k Alawami

You can look at the add ons page but I don't recall there ever beeing a way to label any buttons. I'm not in front of my windows machine but maybe look throughthe wonderfully written menual and see if I forgot something? I might have as I don't need to really label anything, and have not for about 9 years, at least on windows.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 12 Aug 2019, at 2:42, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

Is there anyway in NVDA to label a button that is not labeled? For example, in SPL Creator when adding information to a rotation there are two buttons that are not labeled. I figured out that they are decrease and increase. I would like to label them.

If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

There is no way to label things in NVDA itself.  The only thing I can think of that might be used in this way is the Golden Cursor add-on, but I don't know if that is one of its functions.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] unlabeled buttons

You can look at the add ons page but I don't recall there ever beeing a way to label any buttons. I'm not in front of my windows machine but maybe look throughthe wonderfully written menual and see if I forgot something? I might have as I don't need to really label anything, and have not for about 9 years, at least on windows.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

The Golden Cursor add-on page is:  https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/goldenCursor.en.html

One of the bullet points regarding functions:  Shift+NVDA+l: save a tag or a label for the current mouse position in the currently focused application
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

George Bell

Would it not make sense to inform software developers of their pure laziness in not labelling buttons anyway?

The message is finally beginning to get across to web developers about their lack of Alt Tags to describe graphics.  So why not buttons?

George

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 12 August 2019 15:47
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

There is no way to label things in NVDA itself.  The only thing I can think of that might be used in this way is the Golden Cursor add-on, but I don't know if that is one of its functions.

Gene

Take care

Sarah k Alawami

It would be nice if the function were native to NVDA. Many other screen readers have this as it is necessary in some cases.

On 12 Aug 2019, at 8:13, Brian Vogel wrote:

The Golden Cursor add-on page is:  https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/goldenCursor.en.html

One of the bullet points regarding functions:  Shift+NVDA+l: save a tag or a label for the current mouse position in the currently focused application
--

~ André Gide

Sarah k Alawami

It would be but I have gotten responces from Yesh sure I'll fix it," to "I dont' know how to fix that." to "I don't have the time, it's toohard." the latter beeing the most response.

On 12 Aug 2019, at 8:20, George Bell wrote:

Would it not make sense to inform software developers of their pure laziness in not labelling buttons anyway?

The message is finally beginning to get across to web developers about their lack of Alt Tags to describe graphics.  So why not buttons?

George

Gene

Take care

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 11:20 AM, George Bell wrote:
Yes, but probably not in those terms (not that they're not true).   Not only is accessibility becoming more of a "designed-in" phenomenon but so are certain coding conventions like labeling buttons.

When brought to the attention with something like, "this poses an accessibility issue for screen reader users, as well as being inconsistent as far as labeling buttons goes," you're more likely to get the desired result.

Also, there are times when certain things are being pulled up out of standard libraries for a given application that may have been coded long ago.  Those using those may be entirely unaware that there were lapses as far as accessibility-friendliness when those libraries were initially coded.   There's not a lot of regression testing to begin with for stuff that's "been around since dirt" and what there is likely has zero focus on the accessibility angle, while new code is a different kettle of fish.

--

~ André Gide

Scott Berry

Sarah,

I agree.  There are certain instances where these labels would be very beneficial to users of the screen reader.  so for exxample, you have an app like the HP app that has absolutely nothing from the get go that is accessible to blind users.  If one uses the labeler feature it may increase the productive use of the HP app.

On 8/12/2019 9:21 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

It would be nice if the function were native to NVDA. Many other screen readers have this as it is necessary in some cases.

On 12 Aug 2019, at 8:13, Brian Vogel wrote:

--

~ André Gide

--
Scott Berry Certified Medical Office Assistant, Associates in Allied Health, Patient Advocate Please boogie on over to our site at: http://www.berrysadvocating.biz

Scott Berry

George,

I agree with you and some developers listen while others do not.  It depends on the developer.

On 8/12/2019 9:20 AM, George Bell wrote:

George

Gene

Take care

--
Scott Berry Certified Medical Office Assistant, Associates in Allied Health, Patient Advocate Please boogie on over to our site at: http://www.berrysadvocating.biz

Scott Berry

Thanks Brian I'll try that as well.

On 8/12/2019 9:13 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

--

~ André Gide

--

Kevin Cussick

we really need a graphics labeller, now I am not a coder. I do remember there was some discussion about it some time ago but it got dropped. maybe it is time to take a look at it again.

On 12/08/2019 15:45, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Take care
Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. <http://www.tffppodcast.com> This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here. <http://www.tffppodcast.com/premium>
and for hosting options go here <http://www.tffppodcast.com/hosting>
to subscribe to the feed click here <http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp>
Our telegram <https://t.me/tffppodcast> channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.
Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>
Is there anyway in NVDA to label a button that is not labeled? For
example, in SPL Creator when adding information to a rotation there
are two buttons that are not labeled. I figured out that they are
decrease and increase. I would like to label them.
**                                                                                                                                 If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

I think the ticket for it is https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2111

I agree as well there are times I do use a graphic's labeler but it is on my talk bac screen reader on my android phone.

As mentioned the closest is the golden cursor it will let the person make a label if the item is unlabled sight required of course but then when you go into the program where you have done it you then use the list you can pull up for that program chose the one you want and it moves the mouse to that position and says what it is.

I guess also people can leave comments on the ticket.

Gene nz

On 13/08/2019 8:20 AM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
we really need a graphics labeller,   now I am not a coder.   I do remember there was some discussion about it some time ago but it got dropped. maybe it is time to take a look at it again.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. <http://www.tffppodcast.com> This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here. <http://www.tffppodcast.com/premium>

Our telegram <https://t.me/tffppodcast> channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>

**                                                                                                                                                                                    If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related materials at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

To find out which library networks in New Zealand have a copy of the NVDA screen reader on them and there library locations please go to http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nz%20libraries%20with%20nvda.html
To find a NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Kevin Cussick

I do remember Window eyes did have one I seem to remember you did need some sighted help to label the button or what ever it might be but once done it worked lovely, just a shame Nvda has not got one yet.

On 12/08/2019 22:10, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi
I agree as well there are times I do use a graphic's labeler but it is on my talk bac screen reader on my android phone.
As mentioned the closest is the golden cursor it will let the person make a label if the item is unlabled sight required of course but then when you go into the program where you have done it you then use the list you can pull up for that program chose the one you want and it moves the mouse to that position and says what it is.
Gene nz
we really need a graphics labeller,   now I am not a coder.   I do remember there was some discussion about it some time ago but it got dropped. maybe it is time to take a look at it again.

Take care

** If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                 Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

--
Image NVDA certified expert
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related materials at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
To find out which library networks in New Zealand have a copy of the NVDA screen reader on them and there library locations please go to http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nz%20libraries%20with%20nvda.html
To find a NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Kevin Cussick

thanks just read and I see it goes all the way back to 2012 and it is more of an object labeller rather than graphics labeller. anyway it seems a long time and I don't code but I hope someone can find a way thanks.

On 12/08/2019 22:10, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi
Gene nz

Take care

** If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                 Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

--
Image NVDA certified expert

Peter Beasley

Windoeyes used to have it so why can’t NVDA?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 12 August 2019 21:20

we really need a graphics labeller,   now I am not a coder.   I do

remember there was some discussion about it some time ago but it got

dropped. maybe it is time to take a look at it again.

> You can look at the add ons page but I don't recall there ever beeing a

> way to label any buttons. I'm not in front of my windows machine but

> maybe look throughthe wonderfully written menual and see if I forgot

> something? I might have as I don't need to really label anything, and

> have not for about 9 years, at least on windows.

>

> Take care

>

> Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

> <http://www.tffppodcast.com> This is also our libsyn page as well.

> For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.

> <http://www.tffppodcast.com/premium>

> and for hosting options go here <http://www.tffppodcast.com/hosting>

> to subscribe to the feed click here <http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp>

>

> Our telegram <https://t.me/tffppodcast> channel is also a good place for

> an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

>

> Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch

> and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

>

> Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

> <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>

>

> On 12 Aug 2019, at 2:42, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

>

>     Is there anyway in NVDA to label a button that is not labeled? For

>     example, in SPL Creator when adding information to a rotation there

>     are two buttons that are not labeled. I figured out that they are

>     decrease and increase. I would like to label them.

>

>     **                                              

>                                                                                                                                      If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

>

>

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Window-eyes had a lot of features missing in NVDA. It is all about setting priorities in developing NVDA. The fact that the relabelling feature isn’t currently present in NVDA doesn’t mean that it might be in the future. Raise an issue for that and show the developers that this is a missed feature, or give your comments to the already existing issue on github.

Cheers,

Ralf

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Beasley
Sent: Dienstag, 13. August 2019 11:20

Windoeyes used to have it so why can’t NVDA?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 12 August 2019 21:20

we really need a graphics labeller,   now I am not a coder.   I do

remember there was some discussion about it some time ago but it got

dropped. maybe it is time to take a look at it again.

> You can look at the add ons page but I don't recall there ever beeing a

> way to label any buttons. I'm not in front of my windows machine but

> maybe look throughthe wonderfully written menual and see if I forgot

> something? I might have as I don't need to really label anything, and

> have not for about 9 years, at least on windows.

>

> Take care

>

> Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

> <http://www.tffppodcast.com> This is also our libsyn page as well.

> For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.

> <http://www.tffppodcast.com/premium>

> and for hosting options go here <http://www.tffppodcast.com/hosting>

> to subscribe to the feed click here <http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp>

>

> Our telegram <https://t.me/tffppodcast> channel is also a good place for

> an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

>

> Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch

> and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

>

> Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

> <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>

>

> On 12 Aug 2019, at 2:42, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

>

>     Is there anyway in NVDA to label a button that is not labeled? For

>     example, in SPL Creator when adding information to a rotation there

>     are two buttons that are not labeled. I figured out that they are

>     decrease and increase. I would like to label them.

>

>     **                                              

>                                                                                                                                      If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

>

>