Topics

Unread/Read Status of Messages Broken In Thunderbird With 2019.3 Beta 2

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

For some reason, when I installed 2019.3 beta 2, when I read the status line and/or navigate with up/down arrow keys, the read/unread status of message is inconsistent or incorrect.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this issue.  I am using Thunderbird 60.4--the last fully compatible version of Thunderbird.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

John Isige

I just downloaded NVDA 2019.3beta2 and told it to continue running. I'm
running Thunderbird 60.9.1, 32-bit if it matters. Message statuses work
fine for me with up and down arrows, I didn't even have to close and
restart Thunderbird. What do you mean by saying "last fully compatible
version"? What's broken? I admit I use Thunderbird pretty minimally, but
everything seems fine to me.

On 1/15/2020 9:56, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

For some reason, when I installed 2019.3 beta 2, when I read the
status line and/or navigate with up/down arrow keys, the read/unread
status of message is inconsistent or incorrect.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this issue.  I am using
Thunderbird 60.4--the last fully compatible version of Thunderbird.

Ron Canazzi

The last version of Thunderbird that reads the status line and the read/unread status   of messages properly is 60.9 or 60 something.

On 1/15/2020 1:06 PM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

I'm on 68.3.1 with NVDA 2019.3 beta 2 and all message flags are read as usual.

Cheers,
Ralf

[...]

Clive Lever

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I notice that when I'm reading the list of folders in my inbox (Outlook, Office 365), in Jaws, it tells me how many unread messages there are in the folder. NVDA doesn't do this, to my knowledge. If it can say the total number of unread messages the way Jaws does, please can someone tell me how to make it do so? It's particularly useful when, say, I come back from holiday to hundreds of messages, as it tells me when the backlog is cleared.

Thanks,
Clive

[...]

Hi Clive,

For me, NVDA used to show numbers of unread messages in the tree view of folders when you arrowed over them.  With release of 2019.3 beta 2, this no longer works for me.  Many others are not having this problem, so there must be something going on with my system.

On 1/16/2020 6:44 AM, Clive Lever wrote:
[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

What have you got your message time out set to? Mine is set to 5 seconds otherwise I think they show as read.

In mozilla thunder bird go to tools then options then display then advanced then under there is a setting to change your time out of your messages. You might have to tab or arrow around to find it to change it.

Mine here reads the unread message as it status until I open it. I think there was a setting in thunder bird so it could also save replied etc but would have to look as have not used it for a long time.

Gene nz

On 17/01/2020 3:42 am, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Huh! I didn't even know that existed. FYI, there are two radio buttons,
"immediately on display" and "after (X) seconds". Mine was set to
"immediately on display", so I can see how there would be a problem if
the other option is set, because the default time seems to be five
seconds. So that's definitely something to check, as it would be easy
enough for it to hit that if you've got a lot of mail coming in.

On 1/16/2020 13:11, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
[...]

Here is what is happening with my read/unread status.  In the past, I used to be able to arrow up and down and highlight the unread messages and the status would remain unread indefinitely until I actually opened the message and only after I had done this and closed the message would it show as read.  Now if I just arrow up and down over unread messages without opening them, after a short time, they will show as read--even though I have not yet opened them.  This began after I installed NVDA 2019.3 beta 2.  Is there some setting in NVDA that is causing this or perhaps some setting in Thunderbird got changed.

Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

On 1/16/2020 3:29 PM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Hurrikennyandopo wrote: "In mozilla thunder bird go to tools then
options then display then
advanced then under there is a setting to change your time out of your
messages. You might have to tab or arrow around to find it to change it."

There are two radio buttons in this advanced dialogue/tab. One is the
time just mentioned. The other is "immediately on display". I suspect
what's happening is that the time radio button got set somehow. Set it
to "immediately on display", and they'll stay unread forever, or rather,
until you open the message. This assumes you're not using the preview
pane, I don't know what happens with that because I don't use it.

When you get to display in options, tab and you'll get to "extensions
(link". Tab again and you'll get to a tab, probably "display". Arrow
right a couple of times and you'll get to the advanced tab. Now just tab
and the first or second thing should be the radio buttons we're talking
about.

On 1/17/2020 0:26, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Oh boy, I had the message pane checked somehow accidentally.  How many times in the past I instructed people to keep that unchecked and here I hadn't made that mistake in so long, I forgot about it myself.

Now that I unchecked the message pane, everything displays properly as to read/unread.

On 1/17/2020 2:45 AM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Kevin Cussick

Have You checked to see if the preview pain is on f8 will switch it on and off I think. or alt v and l should get You their.

On 17/01/2020 06:26, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Hi, don't worry we all have a brain storm sometimes, I did last night.