From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ame
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2022 12:31 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] update error message

Hi all!

Just thought I’d see if there’s a new update so I went to the help menu and clicked check for updates.  I got an error.  All it said was “error checking for update.”  Is this a common thing lately?  Is there anything I can do?  This is the first time I’ve ever encountered this issue in my nearly 12 years using NVDA.

Thanks a bunch.  I’ll appreciate any help you can give me.

Ame

I didn’t know there was any kind of a fix.  Where can you get the installer for the newest NVDA update.  I looked at nvda-project.org which is where I used to get it.  I’ve never had to go back because it always looks for updates.  Is that where you still go?

Hi,

The bridge is incomplete, I'm afraid. Please decorate the bridge with your current NVDA version, Windows release, and errors from the log if any.

By the way, I advise against using nvda-project.org in favor of nvaccess.org; in reality, nvda-project.org will redirect you to nvaccess.org.

Cheers,

Joseph

Chris

Yes, you will have to download and install the nvda installer manually, it cannot be done through check for updates, once you have updated manually it should update normally from now on

Just thought I’d see if there’s a new update so I went to the help menu and clicked check for updates.  I got an error.  All it said was “error checking for update.”  Is this a common thing lately?  Is there anything I can do?  This is the first time I’ve ever encountered this issue in my nearly 12 years using NVDA.

Thanks a bunch.  I’ll appreciate any help you can give me.

Quentin Christensen

We did put out an add-on with the fix, but that was only a stop-gap measure - once NVDA 2021.3 (and now 2021.3.1) came out, we would recommend anyone still experiencing the issue of errors checking for updates, to please download the latest version manually from https://www.nvaccess.org/ - you can go to https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2021-3-1/ to see what is new - as mentioned, once you install that when it checks for updates it will prompt Windows to ensure it has the latest security certificates (which was the issue originally).

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

tim

Well its getting to look like so.

I haven't gotten it to work sense it started.

Always a reinstall to fix and then wonder what other add ons are broke again!